50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
© 1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Help for Adopted

I have a very frustrating case I need help with. I was adopted when I was 3 years old by a US Citizen. I received a US birth certificate with my father's name on it and his place of birth (Utah). I also got a new Canadian birth certificate with my father's name and place of birth. When I was adopted, I was given an official adoption decree, a US Social Security Card, etc. However, 26 years later (yes 26) I am being told that I do not have adequate proof of US Citizenship. I have grown up in the US and have never left the US. I have gone to college and graduated (all while receiving financial aid from the US Gov't). I have married a US Citizen, had 2 children here in the US, have bought a house with my name on it, etc. Everything I have done in my life has been as though I was a US Citizen and I have never been questioned. Until now! In order to get a new driver's license, I must provide proof of US Citizenship. The DMV said my US issued birth certificate is not proof as it says "Does not provide Proof of US Citizenship" on it. My SS Card no longer works as proof (thanks to the illegal immigrants). I just applied for a passport but was told I didn't have sufficient proof of Citizenship. I am at a TOTAL and COMPLETE loss. How do I get proof of citizenship? Because I am over 18, and because so much time has passed since my adoption, my father cannot petition for me to get proof of citizenship. So far, it looks like the only way to get proof is to go through the ENTIRE naturalization/citizenship process. However, that costs a lot of money, takes at least 6 months, etc. I don't understand how I can live here legally for 26 years, pay taxes, contribute to society, etc, and just now be told I am not a citizen. Any help is much appreciated. Thank you!
    Jenn

Hi Mayfly and welcome,

Does your birth certificate have a raised seal on it? It might just be a matter of ordering a replacement that does have the raised seal. You can obtain a replacement for your birth certificate through the Department of Health in the county where your father registered you. Hope this helps - good luck.

I believe it does have a raised seal. I just received my denial from my passport today so I am still waiting for my birth certificate to be returned. I will have to check that. Thank you.
    Jenn

Maybe you need the long form version of the birth certificate? Some States may only normally issue a truncated version but will issue a full version on request?
    "What you see in the photograph isn't what you saw at the time. The real skill of photography is organized visual lying."

This link may be helpful if you need to get a certified version of your birth certificate (in case your copy isn't the official one they need to issue your passport).

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/w2w.htm

Originally posted by mayfly25:
    I have a very frustrating case I need help with. I was adopted when I was 3 years old by a US Citizen. I received a US birth certificate with my father's name on it and his place of birth (Utah). I also got a new Canadian birth certificate with my father's name and place of birth. When I was adopted, I was given an official adoption decree, a US Social Security Card, etc. However, 26 years later (yes 26) I am being told that I do not have adequate proof of US Citizenship. I have grown up in the US and have never left the US. I have gone to college and graduated (all while receiving financial aid from the US Gov't). I have married a US Citizen, had 2 children here in the US, have bought a house with my name on it, etc. Everything I have done in my life has been as though I was a US Citizen and I have never been questioned. Until now! In order to get a new driver's license, I must provide proof of US Citizenship. The DMV said my US issued birth certificate is not proof as it says "Does not provide Proof of US Citizenship" on it. My SS Card no longer works as proof (thanks to the illegal immigrants). I just applied for a passport but was told I didn't have sufficient proof of Citizenship. I am at a TOTAL and COMPLETE loss. How do I get proof of citizenship? Because I am over 18, and because so much time has passed since my adoption, my father cannot petition for me to get proof of citizenship. So far, it looks like the only way to get proof is to go through the ENTIRE naturalization/citizenship process. However, that costs a lot of money, takes at least 6 months, etc. I don't understand how I can live here legally for 26 years, pay taxes, contribute to society, etc, and just now be told I am not a citizen. Any help is much appreciated. Thank you!
    Why do you have two birth certificates from diffrent locations/countries. That is odd. People can only be born in one place? No?
    “...I may condemn what you say, but I will give my life for that you may say it”! - Voltaire

Hi Jenn,

on what grounds you think you have a claim to US citizenship? Where were you born?

http://www.hooyou.com/adoption/citizenship.html

You are not a US Citizen. Mere adoption by a US Citizen does not make you a citizen. The US birth certificate you have is not valid. It is like Obama's birth certificate. Some states issue birth certificates to those not born there. Your adoptive parents neglected to either 1) follow the rules for adopting an alien, or 2) failed to follow up and have you naturalized while you were a child.

You need to determine if you were ever issued legal permanent residency by the legacy INS now USCIS by getting that info from your adoptive parents or filing a Freedom of Information Act Request with USCIS.

If you were not processed for legal permanent residence as a child, then you need to apply for witholding of removal with ICE. Get an attorney to do that.

If you were processed for LPR status as a child, then you are an LPR and can apply for naturalization. Your case may qualify you for automatic naturalization, get an attorney.

Good luck.

INPA birthcirtificate Record Bureau. Find your birthcertificate in our international birthcirtificate database
    Source: www.scrolllock.nl