50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: processing time question

Does anyone know about the processing time for a brother/sister US citizenship application??? I have a friend, who wants to petition his sister to be a USC in June (that's when he turns 21) and he wants to know how long it takes for his sister to get his citizenship. They're currently living in Europe and the brother does not want to move to the US anytime soon, but his sister wants to go to US to study by September. Anyone knows what's the best for them to do? Should the sister still apply for student visa and then just adjust status in the US if she (ever) gets approved, or should the brother petition for her, but then better not to apply for the sister to a non-immigrant visa (since there they ask her if she has an intention to stay in the US which wouldn't do too good if she would check "yes") So, if anyone knows what's the best thing to do, please reply I'll email the respond for them. Also, if someone knows the processing time pproximately that would be fine too. Thanks a lot! J.

Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there.

Does anyone know about the processing time for a brother/sister US citizenship application??? I have a friend, who wants to petition his sister to be a USC in June (that's when he turns 21) and he wants to know how long it takes for his sister to get his citizenship. They're currently living in Europe and the brother does not want to move to the US anytime soon, but his sister wants to go to US to study by September. Anyone knows what's the best for them to do? Should the sister still apply for student visa and then just adjust status in the US if she (ever) gets approved, or should the brother petition for her, but then better not to apply for the sister to a non-immigrant visa (since there they ask her if she has an intention to stay in the US which wouldn't do too good if she would check "yes") So, if anyone knows what's the best thing to do, please reply I'll email the respond for them. Also, if someone knows the processing time pproximately that would be fine too. Thanks a lot! J.

Please if anyone knows anything about situation like this: reply!!! Thank you very much!!!!

over 5 years....

first they need to get to the US,and they are not allowed to have any criminal background from their natibe country...then they need to a get a work permit (takes time)after that a green card (takes lots of time) and then wait and be a lawful resident,and then apply for citizenship,pass the test and requeimernts...

Just because a family member is a citizen does not mean another siblins from a different country can just come here and be a citizen haha...
    U need to live in the US for certain amount of time,without any criminal background

The petition for a sibbling takes between 12 and 15 years. If your friend's sister wants to come to the US as a student, then she has to apply for the F-1 visa (the student visa).

Having a petition on your behalf does not prevent you from comig to the US. You may expect more questioning at the POE but you will have to be ready to provide evidence that you will not overstay. Yes, you want to immigrate to the US but not on this specific trip and not by breaking the law. You will immigrate when all your paperwork is in order.

HBKHBK: Thanks for your reply, although I dunno what's funny about their case. They JUST heard about this whole thing, so I promised them I would put it up here for others who may have been in the same shoe as they are. But thanks anyways.

Cayita: thank you for your response as well. I greatly appreciate it!

Thanks again,
    Jeanine