50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
© 1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Travel to UNITED STATES

A bit about myself I am a BENEFICIARY OF A FAMILY BASED I - 130, my brother is an American citizen. A visa number came up for me in the year 2000 I did not act on it in time and they moved to terminate my case as of May 2004, I wrote them a letter and they have re-instated my case as of June 2004. They have requested of me and I have indicated to them that I will act as my own agent and for them to send all paper work to my home address in Canada. My brother has filed the required affidavit of support.

My question is that later this year I will travel to the U.S., for a 17 day vacation.Is travel to the U.S., allowed while this paper work is in process.I have traveled to the U.S., earlier this year and there were no problems. I have traveld to the United States many times for vacation since 1988 when this petition was first filed never had a problem. I contacted the NV.C., the other day they said they could not answer that question and told me to call the consular. Since i have had no problems before should i just bring proof of my job, house...etc that sows we will return to Canada. what are the chances they red flag me at the border since I asked the n.v.c., about vacation travel. We were born in Canada and have recently acquired passports

A bit about myself I am a BENEFICIARY OF A FAMILY BASED I - 130, my brother is an American citizen. A visa number came up for me in the year 2000 I did not act on it in time and they moved to terminate my case as of May 2004, I wrote them a letter and they have re-instated my case as of June 2004. They have requested of me and I have indicated to them that I will act as my own agent and for them to send all paper work to my home address in Canada. My brother has filed the required affidavit of support.

My question is that later this year I will travel to the U.S., for a 17 day vacation.Is travel to the U.S., allowed while this paper work is in process.I have traveled to the U.S., earlier this year and there were no problems. I have traveld to the United States many times for vacation since 1988 when this petition was first filed never had a problem. I contacted the NV.C., the other day they said they could not answer that question and told me to call the consular. Since i have had no problems before should i just bring proof of my job, house...etc that sows we will return to Canada. what are the chances they red flag me at the border since I asked the n.v.c., about vacation travel. We were born in Canada and have recently acquired passports

You should be prepared to have documents with you that show you have significant ties to Canada. I doubt the issue would even come up at the border. They usually just ask where you are going, for how long, etc. They don't usually ask if you have a family-based petition currently active. Good luck.

P.S. You say that you contacted NV.C.? What is that? Do you mean you called the 1-800 misinformation line?

I contacted the National Visa Center at 1-603-334-0700.

It is not illegal to travel to the US while you have a case pending, although it can result in you be denied entry. If you haven't had any problems in the past, I doubt you'll start to have them now. If they even ask you about your pending case, you can just show them the proof you mentioned of your job, house, etc. I think the fact that you've taken many vacations to the US in the past and always returned to Canada works a lot in your favor.
    Have a nice day

Thanks Mike for the clarification. I think you are fine and concur with everything Glühbirne has said.

Thank you for answering my question also. I have a family based I-130 sitting in Texas waiting to be processed since 2002 and travel to the USA four times a year for vacations. I just learned that travelling while a case is pending is a no no. Good luck in your travels and with your immigration process.