free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I-90 Replacing GC after Turning 14...URGENT

Greetings, I am 20yrs old and I got my GC when I was 12. Few days ago I found out that I should have filled I-90 after turning 14. I have checked around and everyone said I can still file it.

Here's my question: The form lists reasons for filling and none of the listed options apply to the case of someone who received the card before turning 14. Out of the list that's provided below, I'm leaning toward either option 'e' (My name or other biographic information has changed since the card was issued) or less likely option 'f' (My present card has an expiration date and it is expiring).

Can you please Help??
    Thanks Much!

2. Reason for application: *
    I am a Permanent Resident or Conditional Permanent Resident and:
    a. My card was lost, stolen or destroyed.
    b. My authorized card was never received.
    (This option cannot be E-Filed.)
    c. My card was mutilated.
    d. My card was issued with incorrect information because of USCIS administrative error.
    e. My name or other biographic information has changed since the card was issued.
    I am a Permanent Resident and:
    f. My present card has an expiration date and it is expiring.
    h.1. I have taken up Commuter status.
    h.2. I was a Commuter and am now taking residence in the U.S.
    i. My status has been automatically converted to permanent resident.
    j. I have an old edition of the card.

Greetings, I am 20yrs old and I got my GC when I was 12. Few days ago I found out that I should have filled I-90 after turning 14. I have checked around and everyone said I can still file it.

Here's my question: The form lists reasons for filling and none of the listed options apply to the case of someone who received the card before turning 14. Out of the list that's provided below, I'm leaning toward either option 'e' (My name or other biographic information has changed since the card was issued) or less likely option 'f' (My present card has an expiration date and it is expiring).

Can you please Help??
    Thanks Much!

2. Reason for application: *
    I am a Permanent Resident or Conditional Permanent Resident and:
    a. My card was lost, stolen or destroyed.
    b. My authorized card was never received.
    c. My card was mutilated.
    d. My card was issued with incorrect information because of USCIS administrative error.
    e. My name or other biographic information has changed since the card was issued.
    I am a Permanent Resident and:
    f. My present card has an expiration date and it is expiring.
    h.1. I have taken up Commuter status.
    h.2. I was a Commuter and am now taking residence in the U.S.
    i. My status has been automatically converted to permanent resident.
    j. I have an old edition of the card.

I think there's a person here who can help if she logs on tonight. Sprint - this guy needs guidance.

f. Because your card expired when you turned 14.

Thanks guys....but how did it expire if I have been travelling back n forth without any problem. USCIS has to fix their forms and make it more clear

years ago when they issued cards they had no expiration date since 9-11 etc they have an expiration cards the new cards expire after 10 years, in that time you can apply for US citizenship or if the 10 years pass by and you do not wish to become a US citizen re apply with the i-90 again apply for us citizenship you seem young and it will allow you to apply for more jobs that require government clearance and then you won't have to deal with immigration again :-)less hastle etc . It expired whether or not you left the country and returned etc .. <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MDstudent89:
    Thanks guys....but how did it expire if I have been travelling back n forth without any problem. USCIS has to fix their forms and make it more clear </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Regards and thanks,
    Mary Josephine :-)

It means that CBP officers were not paying attention.

Mary, as usual, you are wrong. The legacy INS began replacing cards without expiration dates long before 9/11.

Well, in theory your card has not expired as it is a 10yr one right?

My son had a 10yr one and had many years left on it before it was due for expiration (like yours I presume.)

After some research and asking about, because you didn't file at age 14, does not mean you lose your status or anything. In fact the card is still good like you said as per expiration date.

They do require that you file I-190 at 14 yes. However many don't realize this and file after 14.

I believe the penalty if you miss doing it by a certain time after 14th birthday is that you end up paying for the biometrics and card all over again.

I do not know what to suggest for you, because under normal circumstances it would be G..which you didn't list above.

'I have reached my 14th birthday since the card was issued'.

I know the I-90 has changed slightly recently, do you have the new form? Even though older ones are being accepted.

Your 10yr card will be expired anyway soon, so not sure what would be the best thing to do.
    You should apply for Citizenship, but I guess you need to update first?

There is little information about what to do if..this happens regarding not updating at 14, so far I only came across cases where they applied under G, paid the full amount with new biometrics and that was that.

Just a reminder..if you haven't already, don't forget to sign up for Selective Service.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    God Bless America - God Bless Immigrants - God Bless Poor Misguided Souls Too

National Domestic Violence Hotline:
    1.800.799.SAFE (7233) 1.800.787.

I don't understand why USCIS do not send information or a reminder to children who turn 14.

I had no idea, no one ever told me, nothing was in the paperwork with my son's greencard. The expiration date is 10yr from issue.

How would anyone know unless someone happened to mention it to them or they read about it somewhere online?

USCIS need to get their act together.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    God Bless America - God Bless Immigrants - God Bless Poor Misguided Souls Too

National Domestic Violence Hotline:
    1.800.799.SAFE (7233) 1.800.787.