publisher - over
50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Need help with a few forms for J-1 please.

Me and my wife just got married. She is a J-1 visa holder (she is a teacher). She still has a year left on her visa, but we are trying to get the paperwork done, maybe even beat the fee increase. Anyway, we know we have to apply for a waiver, the I-130 and a I-485 forms. So I have a couple of questions:

1 - On the J-1 waiver form at the bottom, it asks for the "Purpose of the form" and the "Funding Amount". Is the purpose of the form for immigration to the U.S.? And is the funding amount the amount given to my wife to come here? She has not received any financial help other than her teacher's salary.

2 - On the I-485 form it asks for the application type, however there is not a selection for someone that was here on one type of visa and got married, only the K-1 visa. So do we fill out the "Other" spot and explain it?

Me and my wife just got married. She is a J-1 visa holder (she is a teacher). She still has a year left on her visa, but we are trying to get the paperwork done, maybe even beat the fee increase. Anyway, we know we have to apply for a waiver, the I-130 and a I-485 forms. So I have a couple of questions:

1 - On the J-1 waiver form at the bottom, it asks for the "Purpose of the form" and the "Funding Amount". Is the purpose of the form for immigration to the U.S.? And is the funding amount the amount given to my wife to come here? She has not received any financial help other than her teacher's salary.

2 - On the I-485 form it asks for the application type, however there is not a selection for someone that was here on one type of visa and got married, only the K-1 visa. So do we fill out the "Other" spot and explain it?

One more question, when it asks for family name do I put just my last name or do I put last name and my surname, ie. Jr.?

Thank you,

Utnorris

I have few questions for you.

Number one. For what exactly was the J1 Visa issued for her?

Secondly - After what time of coming to the U.S. did she marry you?

Not that I wanna ruin any dreams or anything.But you have to realize.Getting married,is not a secure way to say "we are married,and she can not be denied or sent home"

I'd be more worried about that,than the fee increase to tell you the truth, and the last name issue.You use her current as of today legal name,if its official.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by HBKHBK:
    I have few questions for you.

Number one. For what exactly was the J1 Visa issued for her?

Secondly - After what time of coming to the U.S. did she marry you?

Not that I wanna ruin any dreams or anything.But you have to realize.Getting married,is not a secure way to say "we are married,and she can not be denied or sent home"

I'd be more worried about that,than the fee increase to tell you the truth, and the last name issue.You use her current as of today legal name,if its official. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

She is here as a science teacher. Second, we got married after a year. Are you implying she may have married me just to stay or are you saying that getting married will not keep her here? I like to think that she married me for me otherwise I wouldn't have gotten married. She still has one more year on her visa so she wasn't worried about going back. Anyway, it sounds like we are going to have a long road ahead of us because of the J-1 visa.

Thank you for the help everyone,

Utnorris

Where is your wife from?

The reason I asked that question,because INS will ask that question to themselfs actually and then you maybe.

They will view and determine,if you guys got married because love aka if she got married because of love for you,or the love to be able to stay and live here...
    thats why i asked after what period of time,did u guys get married once she came to the US as a J1 visa guest.

Its also true, J1 Visa holders must retur home,to adjust their status from back home...
    but in marriage cases it might be different.

But as far denying someone goes...getting married to a U.S. citizen is not and never was a garantee "the immigrant spouse status in the US is secure" Its not! Untill INS aproves it and says so...

Good luck...

and if she gets a aproved, her J1 VISA will become invalid and she will not be authorized to work a teacher by the way...and she has to wait for her legal work permit. The J1 will become invalid!