50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
© 1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I N V A S I O N !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Very huge hordes of Illegal Aliens invaded the South Border at 1.00 am last night.
    Most of the invaders were, of course, Mexicans. But there were OTM's too.
    The first casualty of invasion was Acelaw: he died of heart attack as soon as he heard the news on TV.
    Michael was hospitalized(also with heart attack) to local "United Antiimmigrants Hospital", where he is guaranteed not to have Philippino nurse or Mexican roommate.
    According to our local reporter, between 10 to 20 million Mexicans were crossing the border of California simultaneously, and there simply weren't enough guards to stop 1/500th of them.
    Mexicans were chanting: "Let's be Illegal!", "We want foodstamps!","We don't want to pay taxes!", "Let us do drugs and crime!", "We want free money!", "Long Live Violence!","We love to be Illegal and violate the law!" and etc. (translated from Spanish).
    It is expected that between 40-50 million Mexicans will cross the border in coming days.
    Exodus of such a magnitude has not been seen since the times of Attila the Hun's invasion of Occident.
    Emergency stuff is working non-stop to provide new arrivers with rivers of milk and mountains of food.
    Reportedly, 6000 cisterns of milk, 2 mln. bottles of "Corona" beer, 5 mln. pounds of meat, 15 mln. loafs of bread and $200 bln. truck-loaded cash money are on the way as Emergency Relief for new arrivals.
    Congress has presided through the night (as Mexicans were crossing the border) to authorize additional relief in the amount of $600 bln. cash.
    Treasury Department representative , who was present during the Emergency Hearing of Senate Appropriations Committee, testified that it will take between 1-2 months to print enough bills to distribute among Illegal Mexicans.
    Police has received special orders not to prosecute anyone who looks Mexican: thus if someone looking Mexican sells drugs or shoots somebody on the corner of the street, it is a crime for Police to arrest him or subject him to any sort of questioning.
    It is also ordered that all local elementary, middle and high schools take immediate steps to displace all USC children from the schools so that Mexicans could be accommodated.
    Hospitals, including the one where Michael is currently being treated , received special orders not to deny any services to Mexican Illegal Immigrants, including dental replacements, kidney and heart transplantation surgeries and etc beginning tomorrow.
    It is anticipated that all the costs will be covered by American taxpayers, and Mexicans will eternally be exempt from paying any sort of taxes,even IF they choose to work: to ensure their taxexemption status it is agreed that Mexicans will never, under no circumstances, receive LPR or USC status.
    US Census Bureau has made preliminary estimates and predictions: it states that in about 60 months we will have 50% Mexican Illegal Immigrant population that will happily live here without doing any kind of work, and that USC and Legal Residents will be working double shifts from now on.
    1/2 of the income of all average Americans will be taxed and evenly distributed among Mexican Illegal Immigrants, so that Illegal Mexicans can share the same kind of life style as the rest of population, without doing anything at all.

Our commentator ends his report by saying that very soon English language will be totally useless, and therefore all non-spanish speaking Americans are encouraged to take intensive classes of "Spanish as a FIRST language", and they are encouraged to do so as soon as they can.

This report was copy-pasted from " STOP the Mexican Immigration Institute"s website.
    It is dedicated, postumously, to Acelaw.

Please send inquiries to:
    Acelaw Foundation of Kilmexicans
    1234 Kilmexican Street,
    KM, 01234 tel. 1-899-KMEXICN

E.

Where were you when all this happend?

Spanisification is annoying in USA but it was initiated by politicians and other liberals.

Cultures of African countries are praised in Mass media but there is no information about Europe or Japan.
    African countries are actual the opposite - Blacks have never created a stable country in the history of the world. African none-Muslim countries are the poorest in the world.

Example is Liberia the country created by Americans for American Blacks this country is today one big ****.

African countries were in much better shape under colonial rule than as independent states.

Very wealthy South African Republic starts collapsing when Blacks took over the rule of this country.

Ethnic cleansing against white farmers in South Africa proved that racism is indeed in a Black skin.

But our politicians and liberals continue praise Latino & African culture and at the same time block any information from Europe or Japan.

HISPANICS IN THE LOWCOUNTRY: SPECIAL REPORT
    BY FRANK NORTON
    Of The Post and Courier Staff

The Charleston region's Hispanic population is growing rapidly, but social and political progress are much slower in coming.
    The explosive growth of the Hispanic community is fueling debate on how legal and illegal immigrants in the state should be treated.

Notice how they mix legal and illegal .

For years, big industries such as agriculture and construction have relied heavily on Hispanic labor, both documented and undocumented, to keep costs down, productivity up and consumer prices low. That has prompted many in the business community, and in politics, to argue that Hispanic immigrants fuel the economy and should be accepted and integrated regardless of their legal status.

For years big industries such as agriculture and construction have relied heavily on Hispanic labor,

Really who did these jobs before mass illegal immigration started in the late 1980's?????

In many states and localities, undocumented workers can get driver's licenses, business licenses and access to public services, all of which help them advance socially and eventually become part of the political process, advocates say.
    In 14 states, including North Carolina, undocumented workers can use Mexican government-issued identity cards as an official ID to obtain a driver's license.
    Such rights have not been bestowed on South Carolina's immigrant population, which, although growing quickly, remains politically disconnected.
    As of January, there were only 8,954 registered Hispanic voters in South Carolina, about 0.4 percent of total voters, according to the state Election Commission. In Charleston County, Hispanic voters totaled 659, again less than half a percent of the total.
    Hispanic voter registration is proportionally much lower than the population it represents. September's official estimate from the U.S. Census Bureau is 109,197 Hispanics in South Carolina, equaling 2.5 percent or more of the state's total population. The University of South Carolina's Latino Immigration Project has said the unofficial Hispanic population, both legal and illegal, is probably at least 400,000, or roughly 10 percent of the state's population.
    DEBATE OVER RIGHTS
    There is only one Hispanic in the state Legislature, state Rep. Gloria Arias-Haskins, R-Greenville, and no Hispanics in elected office in Charleston County.
    Hispanic leaders are working to improve those figures.
    "Staying at the banks of the river will not get us where we want to be. Getting into the flow will," said Wilfredo Leon, publisher of Latino, a Spanish-language newspaper in Mauldin, which serves the Upstate.
    Leon is also vice chair of the South Carolina Hispanic Leadership Council, a Columbia-based networking group that aims to advance the political and economic development of South Carolina's Hispanic population.
    He said undocumented Latinos already contribute substantially to the state's economy by offering inexpensive labor and contributing to the tax base. That, he reasons, should grant them some of the protections and benefits enjoyed by ordinary residents.

The bottom 50 percent of taxpayers paid an effective income tax rate of just 4 percent.

He said undocumented Latinos already contribute substantially to the state's economy by offering inexpensive labor and contributing to the tax base
    THEY PAID A WHOPPING 4 PERCENT

HIGH INCOME FAMILIES PAY HIGHER TAXES
    The total tax burden for typical American families in 1995 ranged from 32 percent of income to 45 percent, according to an analysis from the Tax Foundation.
    Looking at typical two-earner families with two children, economist Arthur P. Hall found that the tax burden rose steadily by income class:
    The share of taxes paid by a family with $25,000 in annual income was an average $8,603 or 32 percent of income.
    A family with a $50,000 income paid $19,616 in taxes or 36.6 percent of income.
    At the $100,000 income level a family paid $44,312 or 41.5 percent.
    And a family with a $200,000 income paid $93,485 or 44.5 percent.
    Thus the family earning eight times as much as a family at the lowest income level paid 11 times as much in taxes; while a family earning four times as much as the lowest income level paid five times as much in taxes.
    The total tax burden includes federal personal income, payroll, excise and corporate income taxes, plus state and local sales, property and income taxes.
    Source: "1995 Tax Burden: No Break for Wealthy Families," Tax Features, Vol. 40, No. 2, February 1996, Tax Foundation, 1250 H Street, NW, Washington, DC 20005, (202) 783-2760.

Then why are they not paying there hospital bills????

Hospitals throughout the state say they have been left with at least $4 million in unpaid bills after delivering babies for illegal immigrants who disappear before filing Medicaid paperwork. Hospitals in Spartanburg, Greenville, Charleston, and Horry counties are the most affected. Under federal law, hospitals cannot refuse service to anyone, regardless of their citizenship status.27

South Carolina authorities requested compensation from the federal government in FY'99 for $2.6 million for the incarceration of illegal aliens in state and local jails and prisons. South Carolina received only $1 million in compensation, leaving $1.5 million in uncompensated costs to be borne by South Carolina taxpayers.

Opponents of that view say waves of illegal immigrants, mostly from Mexico and Central America, are not only cutting in line in the immigration process but stealing jobs and lowering wages for the state's rightful residents. Illegal immigrants, they say, also drain public services and are a net burden on South Carolina taxpayers.
    Reflecting at least some of that thinking, Myrtle Beach earlier this month joined two other coastal communities, Hilton Head Island and Beaufort, in looking at ways to prevent illegal immigrants from obtaining business licenses.
    Lawmakers elsewhere in the state also have sought to deny rights to the undocumented.
    One legislator, Rep. John Graham Altman, R-Charleston, has railed against extending rights and services to undocumented workers, calling them "criminals" who "cut in line." He said unchecked illegal immigration is a threat to the state's economy and system of laws.
    Hispanic advocates, not surprisingly, see things differently.
    "The choice is simple. You can have them here as workers, or you can have them here as vagrants, and I know nobody wants vagrants," said Manuel Gaetan, a Columbia-based business management consultant and advocate for Latino immigrants.
    FILLING A NEED
    "They didn't come here to drink piÒa coladas in Hilton Head; they came to work a lot of jobs that Americans don't want," said Gaetan, who thinks even undocumented workers should be able to get driver's licenses in South Carolina.
    "Why object to that if they're filling a societal need?" he asked.
    These millions of undocumented Hispanics also contribute to government coffers through sales taxes and, in many cases, state and federal income taxes.

THEY PAID A WHOPPING 4 PERCENT, LETS SEE 4 PERCENT 0F $20,000 =$800.00 THAT REALLY PAYS THEIR WAY, ONE NON-ENGLISH SPEAKING CHILD COST $7000 EACH TO TEACH ENGLISH TOO!!!!ITS COST $10,000 PER YEAR FOR ENGLISH SPEAKING CHILD FOR A GRAND TOTAL OF $17,000 hmmmmmmmmmCHEAP LABOR ALRIGHT

Gaetan said President Bush's proposal last year to grant temporary legal status to millions of undocumented workers in the United States was a step in the right direction.
    The administration has since said no action would be taken on that proposal until after the presidential elections.
    Hispanics are a key constituency in 2004, both for Democrats who have long received their support and for Republicans who are fighting to make inroads. The Bush-Cheney re-election campaign has Hispanic teams in 30 states. In the offing is an aggressive drive to recruit Hispanic voters face-to-face and through ads.
    State Rep. Bobby Harrell, R-Charleston, said South Carolina may want to rethink its policies on immigrant rights but not ahead of fundamental changes in federal immigration policy.
    "There is a much larger national debate that needs to occur," said Harrell, who favors increasing immigrant rights but not at the expense of federal laws.
    "The federal government should take a look at what these hardworking people are adding to our economy and see if something can be done. But we shouldn't just ignore the fact that somebody may be here illegally and treat them as if they are a legal resident," he said.
    That said, he agreed if the federal government loosens immigrant policies, South Carolina may do well to follow suit because, "Hispanics are a huge part of our state's economy."
    Costing taxpayers (which they don't pay there way ) huge amounts of their tax dollars
    CHANGING STRATEGIES
    The federal government has already made some big changes in how it deals with undocumented workers, curtailing once-frequent raids and sweeps designed to catch and deport illegal laborers.
    Kevin O'Neil, a researcher with the Migration Policy Institute in Washington, D.C., said the catch-and-deport strategy was not only costly but useless in terms of abating growth in illegal immigrant populations.
    In the early 1990s, immigration officials shifted their focus from such crackdowns to border control.
    Since that time, the number of investigations targeting employers of unauthorized aliens fell more than 70 percent, from about 7,000 in 1992 to about 2,000 in 2002. The number of warnings, fines and arrests that result from investigations also fell dramatically over the same period.
    O'Neil said political perceptions about immigration and enforcement have changed as well in sometimes unexpected ways.
    "It's become a remarkably nonpartisan issue that makes for strange bedfellows on both sides of the debate," he said, adding many conservatives and liberals, particularly in labor groups, tend to favor anti-immigration policies.
    LACK OF SOCIAL PROGRESS
    Meanwhile, as the Hispanic labor force grows in South Carolina and elsewhere, the social and political advancement of many Hispanic communities remains stifled. That's especially the case in the Southeast, where Latino representation in government remains disproportionately low and lags the rest of the country, said Erica Bernal, director of civic education for the National Association of Latino Elected and Appointed Officials.
    The disparity, she said, severely limits Hispanics' ability to influence the laws that govern them.
    "We've seen examples of emerging Latino communities that have achieved political influence, but it takes time and a lot of commitment from Latinos, from the business community and from the political establishment," Bernal said.
    To be sure, wealthy and politically powerful Hispanic communities can be found in places such as Miami, San Antonio and Los Angeles.
    Hispanics living in South Carolina, on the other hand, remain relatively poor and tend to be young.
    Because many are not U.S. citizens and cannot vote, political power remains years away.
    "The first step is getting citizenship," said Bernal. "Once you have an electorate, you have candidates running for office, and that's the start of your political infrastructure."
    Until then, Rep. Arias-Haskins said she thinks South Carolina needs to do more to protect the civil rights of undocumented workers.
    "Their presence here may not be legal, but they are human beings nonetheless, and we can't turn a blind eye to that," she said.

BUT WE SHOULD TURN A BLIND EYE TO THE NEGITIVE IMPACT ON LEGAL CITIZENS!!!!

Arias-Haskins, however, doesn't think illegal aliens should be granted the same rights and access to public services as legal residents.

If you can't beat 'em, might as well joing 'em. You can sit around complaining about the use of Spanish, or you can go take Spanish classes so that you'll be able to compete in the job market. I got my current job just because I know Spanish. I can communicate on many levels with people of different cultures because of my experiences of living abroad and being married to a foreigner. That is what sets me apart from my fellow job seekers!! While you guys are sitting there feeling sorry for yourselves, others are preparing themselves for the inevitable future of this country, which, if I might add, may not be nearly as horrible as you think. Take advantage of all that Spanish being spoken. I have. I have learned to Speak fluent Spanish without ever having to leave the country. You can look at that as a negative thing, or you can look at it as a positive thing. The choice is your. You can add sugar to your coffee, or you can add vinegar to it. It doesn't matter. You are the one who is going to have to drink it.

Which of the Iraqis do you think are going to be more succesfull in the future? Those protesting and throwing bombs, or those learning English and participating in the construction of the new government? It doesn't matter whether the U.S. occupation was justified or not. It's already happened and those who take advantage of it will have better lives than those who throw stones and stir up trouble. We can learn from our mistakes, but we can't go back in time and undo them.

I have a right to get my husband residence; a
    right that by FAR supercedes the right of any immigrant with an H1B visa!! I don't care if I have to go to 100 interviews and discuss the intimate details of my *** life, this is MY country and my rights to stay here WITH the spouse of MY choice are far more important the the rights of any foreigner!! I was BORN here,

That is what sets me apart from my fellow job seekers!! While you guys are sitting there feeling sorry for yourselves, others are preparing themselves for the inevitable future of this country, which, if I might add, may not be nearly as horrible as you think.

I have a right to get my husband residence; a
    right that by FAR supercedes the right of any immigrant with an H1B visa!! I don't care if I have to go to 100 interviews and discuss the intimate details of my *** life, this is MY country and my rights to stay here WITH the spouse of MY choice are far more important the the rights of any foreigner!! I was BORN here,

You can look at that as a negative thing, or you can look at it as a positive thing. The choice is your. You can add sugar to your coffee, or you can add vinegar to it. It doesn't matter. You are the one who is going to have to drink it.

I have a right

that by FAR supercedes

I was BORN here, this is MY country and my rights to stay here WITH the spouse of MY choice are far more important the the rights of any foreigner!! I was BORN here,

say what???????
    Which of the Iraqis do you think are going to be more succesfull in the future? Those protesting and throwing bombs, or those learning English and participating in the construction of the new government? It doesn't matter whether the U.S. occupation was justified or not. It's already happened and those who take advantage of it will have better lives than those who throw stones and stir up trouble. We can learn from our mistakes, but we can't go back in time and undo them.

or those learning English and participating in the construction of the new government? It doesn't matter whether the U.S. occupation was justified or not.

03-02 The Department of Social and Health Services, Medical Assistance Administration, received federal Medicaid funds for unallowable services provided to undocumented aliens.

Background

As a requirement for receiving federal Medicaid funds (CFDA 93.778), the Department of Social and Health Services must provide medical benefits to otherwise eligible residents of the United States who are citizens, aliens lawfully admitted for permanent residence, and certain aliens who have been granted lawful temporary resident status.

When medical services are rendered to undocumented aliens, federal matching funds are available only for emergency medical services, including obstetrical services that have been provided at the time of delivery. Emergency medical services are defined in the U.S. Code of Federal Regulations and the Medicaid State Plan. Non-emergency medical services provided to undocumented aliens cannot be charged to the federal government. The Department and the federal government defines "emergency medical condition" as the sudden onset of a medical condition so severe that without immediate medical attention, it would be expected that there would be serious jeopardy to a person's health; serious impairment of bodily functions, or a serious dysfunction of any bodily organ or part.

Description of Condition

From July 2002 through December 2002, Department records show that 9,717 undocumented alien clients received medical services. Of those served, we judgmentally selected 169 patients in six service categories to determine whether all Medicaid-funded services provided to these clients were emergencies as the law stipulates.

We found that non-emergency procedures, routine medical services and durable medical equipment were provided to undocumented aliens and paid for with Medicaid funds. We found payments for adult day care, massages, dental fillings, routine eye exams, regular office visits and in-home care, as well as supervision of normal pregnancies and routine postpartum follow-up. Medicaid payments were made for eyeglasses and contact lenses, breast pumps, dentures, contraceptive devices, disposable incontinence garments, and replacement wheels for wheelchairs. We found payments for conditions such as menopause, cough, breast feeding, and nearsightedness.

The results of our review were as follows:

Service
    Total Clients

Total Paid
    Clients Receiving Unallowable Services
    Questioned Costs (includes state and federal funds)
    Nursing Home
    $1,098,425.23
    $977,156.64
    Dental Services
    $410,697.54
    $138,493.09
    In-Home Care
    $399,335.95
    $162,261.30
    Adult Day Health
    $84,381.85
    $47,900.06
    Community Inpatient
    $48,368.93
    $1,315.41
    Personal Care
    $28,284.29
    $9,034.52
    Totals
    $2,069,493.79
    $1,336,161.02

The Department initially stated that many of these services, especially those related to maternity, were paid for with state funds. To substantiate this, we traced the claims for routine dental care and other supportive care for two undocumented alien maternity clients. Although we found coding that identified undocumented aliens, we were unable to find account coding that would differentiate between emergent and non-emergent procedures. Instead, we found all services were being claimed as allowable costs for Medicaid matching funds. Additionally, the Department could provide no evidence for its representation that services for routine pre-natal and post-natal maternity services were paid using state funds, that the services provided originated from an emergency condition or that related care provided to undocumented aliens months after an emergency condition is an allowable Medicaid expenditure under the law.

Cause of Condition
    Social Security numbers are not consistently verified prior to admitting clients into the Medicaid program. The Department's client eligibility database shows Social Security numbers for many undocumented aliens. Further, the Department does not heed the federal alerts notifying staff of invalid Social Security numbers.
    In its eligibility manual, the Department lists certain medical diagnoses that are pre-authorized as an emergency. If a client who is an undocumented alien has a medical diagnosis that is not on the list, staff members are instructed to refer the case to Department medical consultants. We found these referrals are not being made in a consistent manner.
    Department staff informed us the procedure manuals contain insufficient and unclear guidance and are often too technical for non-medical personnel to understand.
    Medical consultants are slow to respond to staff questions about whether a condition is an emergency.
    The Department's accounting system does not differentiate undocumented aliens who have received emergency services from those who have received non-emergency services.

Effect of Condition

Federal Medicaid funds are paying for non-emergency medical services for persons that are not eligible for Medicaid due to their undocumented alien status. We found 88 percent of the undocumented aliens tested were provided services for non-emergency conditions. The cost for these services was $1,336,161. Additional questioned costs related to the two maternity clients described above were $6,259. We are questioning both the federal and state portions of the costs, which each total $671,210

Recommendations

We recommend that the Department:
    Develop internal controls that would require employees to verify applicant's Social Security numbers and heed alerts sent by the Social Security Administration pertaining to invalid Social Security numbers.
    Develop clear policy and procedure manuals.
    Establish internal controls that ensure staff make consistent referrals to medical consultants for diagnoses that are not listed in the eligibility manual and ensure that consultants respond promptly.
    Develop an accounting system that would differentiate emergency from non-emergency procedures so that the appropriate funds could be used to pay for the designated services.
    Work with the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services to determine if any unallowable costs charged to Medicaid must be returned.

Department's Response

The Department of Social and Health Services, Medical Assistance Administration, partially concurs with this finding.

First, DSHS would like to state that the State Auditors Office fails to recognize that there are legitimate reasons why State may be unable to obtain the correct SSN:
    Certain programs (e.g., AEM) do not require SSNs;
    Food Assistance rules require DSHS to provide expedited benefits and this can prevent the Department from obtaining the SSN;
    The Department apprises SSA that two different people have the same SSN; but SSA fails to correct the situation;
    Sometimes a worker may suspect that the client is using an invalid SSN, but finds it necessary to enter it into ACES so it can cross-match with other systems for income data;

Therefore, depending on the type of assistance or the need to expedite benefits, a SSN may not always be available. When Social Security numbers are received they are entered into the system. DSHS does not wait for the application to be approved while verifying the Social Security number. When the Social Security number is entered into ACES it is verified in the interface. Currently the interface runs monthly.

With regard to the audit "cause of condition" items that refer to medical diagnosis and referrals, the procedure manuals and medical staff responses, DSHS staff need to review the cases tested by the State Auditors Office to determine which programs and services are being addressed and have been identified as being in error. Once DSHS has had an opportunity to review the cases tested by the State Auditors Office, it will then address each of the items/areas that have been identified as needing to be strengthened, if applicable.

The absence of services to a client who meets the functional criteria for nursing facility care and COPES services could reasonably be expected to result in:
    placing the patient's health in serious jeopardy,
    serious impairment to bodily functions, or
    serious dysfunction of any bodily organ or part.

If we do not provide services to these individuals, especially the nursing home clients, they will end up in the hospital with medical expenses at a much higher cost of care. CMS also defines nursing facilities as medical institutions.

Also, the Yakima Superior Court in Gutierrez v. DSHS, ruled against the Department and MAA's medical consultant and found that the law does not require successful and appropriate medical treatment for an emergency condition to then lose coverage because it keeps the individual in an improved medical condition. In other words, just because a client's emergency condition has stabilized, does not mean that the client loses eligibility. If the emergency condition continues, so does the medical eligibility.

Second, given these elements of the program, DSHS does not concur with the questioned cost of $671,210. Nursing home and COPES clients by nature of their functional assessment meet the emergency medical condition criteria

With regard to improving the current structure/system, the Department is taking several steps to improve accuracy of SSNs:
    ACES is convening a work group to review options to improve accuracy. This would include further automating how we query SSA systems.
    Based on the above review, the Department will provide additional training to financial workers on how to improve accuracy of SSNs.
    When the Social Security number is entered into ACES it is verified in the interface. Currently the interface runs monthly, it will be changed to daily process.

The Department will also be reviewing the coding used to identify emergent and non-emergent procedures for areas of improvement and its procedure manuals for easy of use.

Auditor's Concluding Remarks

The federal statutes are clear that an individual must have a valid Social Security number in order to be eligible for Medicaid benefits. The reasons offered by the Department as to why it has not ensured adequate controls do not reverse federally mandated requirements. Our position in response to the Department's reasoning is as follows:
    Programs such as Alien Emergency Medical do not negate the Department's obligation to ensure the validity of the Social Security number for Medicaid applicants.
    Federal food assistance programs are not linked to Medicaid and thus the eligibility rules for these are not applicable to the Medicaid program.
    The Department stated it informs the Social Security Administration of two persons having the same Social Security number. In our audit, we have never encountered this situation nor has the Department brought this condition to our attention at the time of our fieldwork.
    When staff suspects that a client is using an invalid Social Security number, we have found in most cases that the Medicaid application is approved and benefits are immediately given. Our audit revealed that Department computer systems have received up to five Social Security numbers for some of its clients. In the cases that we have reviewed, the Department has never attempted to obtain the correct Social Security number.

As noted in the finding, Department staff are able to ensure the validity of each applicant's Social Security number using the State On-Line Query (SOLQ). SOLQ is a database provided by the federal government; one of its purposes is to verify Social Security numbers. In the Community Service Offices that we visited this year, we found that staff rarely use SOLQ to verify an applicant's Social Security number at the time of application. This is true for the application process at headquarters, as well. Management is aware that this control is consistently bypassed.

The federal statute is explicit in its definition of emergent. For undocumented alien clients, the federal statute is also clear that only emergent services are eligible for federal financial participation. The expectation that a condition may eventually become emergent in the absence of routine or rehabilitative medical services is not a component of the criteria. Additionally, the federal statute does not contain a provision that deems conditions that meet the "functional" criteria for nursing home care and in-home care as equivalent to emergent conditions.

With respect to Gutierrez v. DSHS, the State Auditor's Office takes no position as to what care or how much care the state should render to its undocumented alien clients. However, the federal government has stipulated that, for this population, it will only provide federal financial participation for conditions that are emergent. Therefore, if the State wishes to provide routine and rehabilitative care to its undocumented alien clients, it should do so using only state funds. Utilizing federal funds for these activities may be viewed by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services as a disregard for federal statutes, which may jeopardize future federal funding or which may result in increased federal scrutiny for Washington's Medicaid program.

Applicable Laws and Regulations

Title 42, Code of Federal Regulations, Section 435.404(a)(4)(b) provides the following guidance:

The agency must only provide emergency services (as defined for purposes of section 1916(a)(2)(D) of the Social Security Act), and services for pregnant women as defined in section 1916(a)(2)(B) of the Social Security Act to otherwise eligible residents of the United States not described in paragraph (a)(3) and (a)(4) of this section who have been granted lawful temporary or lawful permanent resident status...

Section 1916(2)(D) of the Social Security Act provides that emergency services are defined by the Secretary:

...the State plan shall provide that in the case of individuals... who are eligible under the plan...(2) no deduction , cost sharing or similar charge will be imposed under the (State) plan with respect to ...(D) emergency services (as defined by the Secretary)...

Emergency services as described by the Secretary are as follows in Washington Administrative Code 388-500-0005:

Emergency medical condition means the sudden onset of a medical condition (including labor and delivery) manifesting itself by acute symptoms of sufficient severity (including severe pain) such that the absence of immediate medical attention could reasonably be expected to result in:

Placing the patient's health in serious jeopardy;
    Serious impairment to bodily functions; or
    Serious dysfunction of any bodily organ or part.

Washington Administrative Code 388-500-0005 defines emergency medical expense requirements as follows:

A specified amount of expenses for ambulance, emergency room or hospital services, including physician services in hospital, incurred for an emergency medical condition that a client must incur prior to certification for the medically indigent program.

The Department's A-Z Eligibility Manual describes what constitutes an emergency medical condition. It states, in part:

1. ...In order to be eligible for the Alien Emergency Medical (AEM) program, a person must:...a. Have an emergency medical condition. (Refer to the list of emergency medical condition in the Medically Indigent section); ...

Washington Administrative Code 388-438-0110 describes alien emergency medical as follows:

An alien who is not eligible for other medical programs, is eligible for emergency medical care and services:

(1) Regardless of their date of arrival in the United States;

(2) Except for citizenship, meets Medicaid eligibility requirements as described in Washington Administrative Code 388-505-0210, 388-505-0220 or Washington Administrative Code 388-505-0110; and

(3) Limited to the necessary treatment of an alien's emergency medical condition as defined in Washington Administrative Code 388-500-0005, except that organ transplants and related medical care services are not covered.

Washington Administrative Code 388-424-0010 describes alien status and eligibility requirements for medical benefits. Paragraph (3) states the extent of those services:

An alien who would qualify for Medicaid benefits but is ineligible solely because of his or her alien status, can receive medical coverage as follows:
    (a) State-funded categorically needy (CN) scope of care for ...(i) Pregnant women, as specified in Washington Administrative Code 388-462-0015

Washington Administrative Code 388-462-0015 states that care to pregnant women who do not meet eligibility requirements due to citizenship status will be provided under state funded programs solely:

A pregnant woman is eligible for CN scope of care under the state-funded pregnant woman program if she is not eligible for programs in subsection (2) of this section due to citizenship, immigrant or Social Security Number requirements.

Revised Code of Washington 43.20A.550 states that rules and regulations that are in conflict with federal law are deemed inoperative:

...Any section or provision of law dealing with the department which may be susceptible to more than one construction shall be interpreted in favor of the construction most likely to comply with federal laws entitling this state to receive federal funds for the various programs of the department. If any law dealing with
    the department is ruled to be in conflict with federal requirements which are a prescribed condition of the allocation of federal funds to the state, or to any departments or agencies thereof, such conflicting part of chapter 18, Laws of 1970 ex.sess is declared to be inoperative solely to the extent of the conflict.

Sincerely,

Jason Mercier
    Budget Research Analyst
    Evergreen Freedom Foundation
    Olympia, WA
    P: (360) 956-3482
    F: (360) 352-1874
    www.effwa.org

Acelaw,

If your husband is an immigrant, he doesn't have more rights than anyone with an H1B; this is not about you, it's about him and he's in the same boat as other immigrants, regardless if he's married to a US citizen or not.

It's easy to get married to an American... not that easy to find a company to sponsor you.

JMHO.

Catherine

Acelaw was quoting Glubhirne's. If its up to him, no illegals will be allowed in.

As for Glubhirne, your husband doesn't have more right than any other legal immigrants. Afterall, there's a reason he's called illegals.

Low life like E., Acelw and Michael do not deserve the attention they are seeking. They actually deserve a gift certificate to the nearest shrink. As at one point one of their ancestor crossed the atlantic by plane or boat..the later being the closest to reality