50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: getting my case documents from my attorney

Hi guys . Does anyone know if there is a law saying that a client has the right to receive a copy of his case file with all the documents from his attorney without any fee for that?
    Tha case was approved. Thanks

Hi guys . Does anyone know if there is a law saying that a client has the right to receive a copy of his case file with all the documents from his attorney without any fee for that?
    Tha case was approved. Thanks

Did you ask your attorney about that? If yes, what did he/she answer?

Thanks for your question. He told me I would have to pay $70 to get all the copies from him

Any documents your attorney maintains on your behalf are your documents. You own those documents. Your attorney is entitlted to those documents so far as to assist you with your case. If the attorney would like to keep copies of such documents, he/she is that one to pay for the copying fee.

Your attoreny cannot refuse to provide you your documents for any reason, including lack of payment.

**THIS IS NOT A LEGAL ADVISE***

Knabbor-thank you very much for your answer. Can you please refer me to any legal rule for me to have legal grounds to talk to him again? In California bar association rules I've read only about originals of documents. The rules say the attorney must make copies of them and return them to a client immediately and he is not allowed to keep the originals. Nothing was said about copies. But you answer proves a common sense conclusion I made that I can get copies of my case documents from my attorney for free especially when the case is successfully resolved. And if he wants copies of the case he can make them for himself. If you please refer me to a rule it would be great. Thanks.

you suppose to get client copy of any and every filing as well as any decission from your attorney BY LAW
    Its a discussion, not a legal advise..

Mohan-Thanks for your answer. Could you please tell me what exactly law should I refer to when I talk to my attorney next time?

Send him a letter stating you would like your documents back and by what date. CC a copy to the Bar Association in your state. That should resolve your situation. Put it in writing. I faxed my lawyer this request and he had my original documents back within two days. He can make his own copies for himself.