Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: USCIS Started Issuing New EAD, I-766

Update :

Source: http://uscis.gov/graphics/publicaffa...R_06_01_04.pdf

USCIS has just announced that effective today, they issue new EAD card, I-766 with the security features. It states that the EAD card is issued for a one-year validity but in some cases it will issue longer validity card.

Update :

Source: http://uscis.gov/graphics/publicaffa...R_06_01_04.pdf

USCIS has just announced that effective today, they issue new EAD card, I-766 with the security features. It states that the EAD card is issued for a one-year validity but in some cases it will issue longer validity card.

How does one get the longer card? For those of us who have to wait an eternity? It costs us $600 every year to renew that card. Have done this twice and on our third.

How does one get a longer card? - It depends on your case. If your case requires special processing on your immigration benefits with USCIS, they would determine if you qualify for the more than a year EAD, and probably issue you one with explanation why it's more than a year, if you get one.

Obviously, there is no clear indication on what a typical case would be, and all USCIS is concerned about is how they would keep people in check, and the only way to do it is the 1 year EAD.

Well, guess what reina90... your question has been answered by USCIS today.

Update :

On June 2, 2004, OMB completed its review and cleared the USCIS Interim Rule which authorizes the agency to issue a EAD valid up to two years. This category is reserved for those applying for adjustment of status, having filed Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, with the Department. The rule change would give USCIS the flexibility to issue EADs for the length of time it anticipates that adjudication of a given case will take.

USCIS has already announced issuance of a new EAD card, I-766 with enhanced security feature and already indicated that the EAD card will be issued more than one year for certain aliens. Obviously, the announcement implied application of the new multiple-year EAD rule for the I-485 applicants. It is expected that the USCIS will publish this extended EAD rule in the federal register soon.

Looks like 2 years EAD will be standard for AOS applicants from now on.

i applied for my second ead on march 2004, went for biometric at end of april,my ead is based on a pending 485 with usc

would i expect to have the new EAD card that valid for 2 years?

There is no word when the new 2 years EAD will take effect. They just announced it, so it will probably be available to anyone who applies from this weekend.

I don't know what will happen to anyone who applied last week or before.

Good Luck

In the coming weeks, USCIS will publish the final rule on the new EAD. It looks like the length of the document will be based on the length of the AOS application. Depending which local distict office or suboffice you file the I485; 6 months, 1 year, 2 years, even 3 years EAD can be issued.

The good news is, those who suffered from renewing their EADs multiple times will get a big break with the new EADs. The bad news however, can be simply a denied AOS application, with no renewable or usable EAD after the denial. The new EAD have new security features that prevents EAD holders from any kind of misuse.

What the h.e.c.k! - Changes bring more good than harm (in most cases!).

Mo, Thank you much for the update, hopefully hubby will get the new card as this is going to be our third time renewing. AOS is still pending after 2 and a half years. Could take another year and a half according to the time lines it's giving.