free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where do I start?

Hi everyone! I have so many questions regarding immigration, but the biggest one is how to begin the process and which route I should take. I am a US citizen and I have been dating my Canadian boyfriend for over two years now. We want to get a house together. My father has just been diagnosed with brain cancer, so I do not want to leave my home. We are not yet engaged. Is there any way that he can move here and get a job? I have seen that Canada is not elligible for the Green Card Lottery.

Can anyone help, or do I need to wait until he gets off his duff and proposes?

Hi everyone! I have so many questions regarding immigration, but the biggest one is how to begin the process and which route I should take. I am a US citizen and I have been dating my Canadian boyfriend for over two years now. We want to get a house together. My father has just been diagnosed with brain cancer, so I do not want to leave my home. We are not yet engaged. Is there any way that he can move here and get a job? I have seen that Canada is not elligible for the Green Card Lottery.

Can anyone help, or do I need to wait until he gets off his duff and proposes?

shortest way is for you to propose, marry him and file AOS for him.

If I do not propose, what are my options? If I do, are you saying have the wedding first instead of applying for a fiance visa? What exactly is AOS? Sorry for so many questions. I am finding all of this very confusing.

I was kidding, you dont have to propose, but what I meant is that you can marry him/her, then apply for him/her to come over here or if already here, do an adjustment of status. Well, if he takes too long to propose, maybe you can drop him the hint.

Another way to do it is to have him come on a fiance visa in which case you will have to wed in 90 days.

So we can legally get married here even before he has any status? Geeez. Where was I getting my info from before this? Is it pretty much a given that once we'ved wed that he will be allowed to live and work here legally?

Yes once you get married, you will apply papers for him and yes he can get a work permit and later get his green card.You do NT need any status to get married.Even undocumented immigrants can get married, AOS is something else.

About your question on how to get him here, the best thing to do is use a fiance visa or go get married in his country then do DCF(direct consular filing) to get him here.

Am not sure which is faster.

Thanks for all of this helpful info! My boyfriend has a few questions that he wanted me to post for him. Here they are:

1. How long can a Canadian live in the US without a visa and not working. Would that be considered an extended visit?

2. What are the limitations and restrictions on the fiance visa?

3. Once he gets the fiance visa, is it true that he would not be able to return to his home country until after the wedding and the AOS? And also that the wedding has to be in the US?

4. Does it make a difference if the wedding is in the US or in Canada if we do not get the fiance visa?

I would prefer to have the wedding in the States if it doesn't matter.

visit www.uscis.gov and www.state.gov and do some research on Fiance visa.

If you get him the fiance visa, you can only do the wedding in the US.Thats a one time entry visa and you have to do the wedding within 90 days of coming into the U.S.