free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Immigration Law Question: ITIN no for tax purposes

My friend went for her Naturalizartion Interview last week and she passed But her spouse is here ilegally she filled out the form truthfully then where it asked for spouses SSN she put the ITIN no will this mess things up he has had some work and paid taxes etc ..

Please genuine answers only . she is in the process of sponsoring and has filed the I-130 months back yes he came here legally on a vias that is well expired
    When I came to the USA i had one and when i got my green card i retained the same exact no just said employment authorized
    How Illegal Aliens get a 'Social Security Number' in their own Name
    Illegal aliens don't need to steal or make up a social security number to give to an employer. There is another less illegal way in which the Government issues them a number.

Step one:

- apply for a Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) from the IRS:

What is an ITIN?

An Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) is a tax processing number issued by the Internal Revenue Service. It is a nine-digit number that always begins with the number 9 and has a 7 or 8 in the fourth digit, example 9XX-7X-***X.

IRS issues ITINs to individuals who are required to have a U.S. taxpayer identification number but who do not have, and are not eligible to obtain a Social Security Number (SSN) from the Social Security Administration (SSA).

ITINs are issued regardless of immigration status because both resident and nonresident aliens may have U.S. tax return and payment responsibilities under the Internal Revenue Code.

Individuals must have a filing requirement and file a valid federal income tax return to receive an ITIN, unless they meet an exception.
    What is an ITIN used for?

ITINs are for federal tax reporting only, and are not intended to serve any other purpose. An ITIN does not authorize work in the U.S. or provide eligibility for Social Security benefits or the Earned Income Tax Credit. ITINs are not valid identification outside the tax system.

IRS issues ITINs to help individuals comply with the U.S. tax laws, and to provide a means to efficiently process and account for tax returns and payments for those not eligible for Social Security Numbers. - IRS

For good reason, an ITIN card does not look anything like a Social Security card:

RE ITIN No
    Regards and thanks,
    Mary Josephine :-)

My friend went for her Naturalizartion Interview last week and she passed But her spouse is here ilegally she filled out the form truthfully then where it asked for spouses SSN she put the ITIN no will this mess things up he has had some work and paid taxes etc ..

Please genuine answers only . she is in the process of sponsoring and has filed the I-130 months back yes he came here legally on a vias that is well expired
    When I came to the USA i had one and when i got my green card i retained the same exact no just said employment authorized
    Illegal aliens don't need to steal or make up a social security number to give to an employer. There is another less illegal way in which the Government issues them a number.

Step one:

What is an ITIN?

An Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) is a tax processing number issued by the Internal Revenue Service. It is a nine-digit number that always begins with the number 9 and has a 7 or 8 in the fourth digit, example 9XX-7X-***X.

IRS issues ITINs to individuals who are required to have a U.S. taxpayer identification number but who do not have, and are not eligible to obtain a Social Security Number (SSN) from the Social Security Administration (SSA).

ITINs are issued regardless of immigration status because both resident and nonresident aliens may have U.S. tax return and payment responsibilities under the Internal Revenue Code.

Individuals must have a filing requirement and file a valid federal income tax return to receive an ITIN, unless they meet an exception.

ITINs are for federal tax reporting only, and are not intended to serve any other purpose. An ITIN does not authorize work in the U.S. or provide eligibility for Social Security benefits or the Earned Income Tax Credit. ITINs are not valid identification outside the tax system.

IRS issues ITINs to help individuals comply with the U.S. tax laws, and to provide a means to efficiently process and account for tax returns and payments for those not eligible for Social Security Numbers. - IRS

For good reason, an ITIN card does not look anything like a Social Security card:

RE ITIN No
    Regards and thanks,

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mary Ireland:

Step one:

What is an ITIN?

RE ITIN No </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Dear Mary,
    an illegal cannot obtain a SSN at this time. If they are applying for an individual tax identification number, ITIN they must do so by filing form W-7 with their tax return unless the person meets one of the exceptions listed in the instructions or in Publication 1915.

The ITIN is used for tax purposes. Tax purpose may be to open up a bank account or to file tax returns. An ITIN number looks like a SSN with the exception it starts with the number nine, and the middle two digits are from 70 to 79.

But to obtain a SSN, the person must be eligible to work. Depending on the specifics of the person's immigration status will depend on whether the person can obtain the SSN through the I-765.

If the person came here as an EWI, there is no way at this point the person can obtain a SSN. If the person overstayed their visa status, then it will depend on the facts and circumstances.

Even though the person obtains a ITIN, it does not presume that the person can obtain a SSN unless they are eligible to work through the I-765.
    "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." John Adams on Defense of the boston Massacre

ok u misread the question they did go and list the ItIn now so what will happen ie, they did list it ? what will immgration say to that is my concern?
    Regards and thanks,

You're not supposed to use it, but I don't think it's going to be a deal breaker, Mary. If it comes up, she can address it then rather than stress about it now.

Though, has your friend taken the Oath yet? If not, she's not yet a Citizen and her husband can't file for AoS until she is.
    The whole of life is but a moment of time. It is our duty, therefore to use it, not to misuse it - Plutarch

ok the wife was a LPR right she went to Immi last week and got approved on her N400 when there they asked for her spouses ssn and she gave then the no I mentioned as it says to tell the truth :-) ALso if all is well does her husband have to wait years to get the green card or will he get some kind of temp perm where emplyment is authorized ? I know he will not get a gc immediatley
    Regards and thanks,

oh the officer did not ask if it was a ssn ir ITIN no
    Regards and thanks,

WE know u are not offically a citizen till the Oath but the officer approved her can something else go wrong she told the truth on the form <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Aroha:
    You're not supposed to use it, but I don't think it's going to be a deal breaker, Mary. If it comes up, she can address it then rather than stress about it now.

Though, has your friend taken the Oath yet? If not, she's not yet a Citizen and her husband can't file for AoS until she is. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Regards and thanks,

Nothing should go wrong.

As said before, once she's all official with the Oath done and the naturalization certificate in hand, they can go forward with adjustment of status and the packet for that includes employment authority (approved before the GC). It will be a matter of months, not years.
    The whole of life is but a moment of time. It is our duty, therefore to use it, not to misuse it - Plutarch

ok so if all goes what kind of temp card will he get before the gc?
    Regards and thanks,