1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: F-1 Student to Green Card Holder

Hi, Everyone.
    I appreciate your time!
    Here is my case. My father was approved for interview for green card. Tha package includes him, my mother and me. The interview is scheduled for November 19th, 2008 in Sofia, Bulgaria. My parents are currently living there.
    Right now I am in the United States under F-1 status.
    My question is: Should I go home for an interview or do AOS here in the US? Is it true that if I amdenied a green card back in Bulgaria, the embassy will take my F-1 visa and not let me enter the US under F-1 status?

Thanks again.
    Anna

Hi, Everyone.
    I appreciate your time!
    Here is my case. My father was approved for interview for green card. Tha package includes him, my mother and me. The interview is scheduled for November 19th, 2008 in Sofia, Bulgaria. My parents are currently living there.
    My question is: Should I go home for an interview or do AOS here in the US? Is it true that if I amdenied a green card back in Bulgaria, the embassy will take my F-1 visa and not let me enter the US under F-1 status?

Thanks again.
    Anna

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AnnaAleksandrova:
    Hi, Everyone.
    I appreciate your time!

Thanks again.
    Anna </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Maybe off Topic? Your Studies??? Time Here??? Specialty???
    USC and Legal, Honest Immigrant Alike Must Fight Against Those That Deceive and Disrupt A Place Of Desirability! All Are Victims of Fraud, Both USC and Honest Immigrant Alike! The bad can and does make it more difficult for the good! Be careful who y

Anna: I don't know the answer as to whether you should return to Bulgaria for the interview, or remain in America for AOS. Have you been summoned for an interview, or are you automatically covered if your father is approved?

It is very possible that, if your petition for immigration is denied, your non-immigrant visas will be canceled. Perhaps you could consult an immigration attorney in your local area - many attorneys have free initial consultations.

Thank you so much for your reply, SDUSA and OldE. I did talk to attorney in my area and they told me there is a risk. But just wanted to get a second opinion from somebody who went through a similar situation. So far, I find out the same from everyone, that if denied back in Bulgaria, I won't be allowed to enter the US as an F-1. And I do need to finish my education.
    My parents has been scheduled an interview and as I read and talked to my attorney, it seams that I only need their approval letter, so I can appear on interview here in US along with all other documents, of course.

The other problem comes, how much time will the AOS take, because I turn 21 on November 8th. There is some Protection Child Act, which is supposed to give me time up until I turn 21 and 1/2. Do you know something on this side?

Anna, why do you think you may be denied? or is there is a reason your parents may be denied (and then you as well)?

It is not that once you are 21 or 21 and 1/2 (I have no idea why those 6 months) you are out. It depends on how long I-130 had been pending. Find out the date (priority date on receipt) of submission and approval date. That much more time you have after you turn 21, to get your new status.

Yea. We are in the middle of an election, stock collapse and the collapse of America and Capitalism and we are electing a terrorist as President. Are you aware of this or just what is going on in your own little bubble???

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AnnaAleksandrova:
    Hi, Everyone.
    I appreciate your time!

Thanks again.
    Anna </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    The package should include who should attend the interview. Generally, minors of the applicant are not required. If you and your mother get the green card, then it will depend on how old you are. If you are under 21, then your status will change from F to permanemnt resident. If you are over 21 then there will be a wait time. This may have a direct impact on your F-1 status if you need to renew your student visa. You will still have to show no immigrant intent to the U.S.

If the green card is denied, this should not affect your current F status for the immediate future. Hope this helps.
    "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." John Adams on Defense of the boston Massacre

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hudson:
    If you are under 21, then your status will change from F to permanemnt resident. If you are over 21 then there will be a wait time. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

what do you mean by "there will be a wait time"? can you be more specific? thanks

Thanks for all your replies.

I trully appreciate that. It helps a lot.

My F-1 visa is valid until May 2010, the end of my education. I do not need to renew it every year.

21 and a half because the Child Protection Act gives you the time from you appling for green card until you get the first packet, which is normally around 6 months. That's where the 1/2 comes from.
    Hudson, do you mean that if I get denied, they will not take my student visa? What some people say is that, once you get denied for green card, they will annulate all visas such as F, so they prevent people from entering the US and staying there illigally after their visa expires. Do you have any idea how long would it take to do AOS after my parents get approved /if this happens/?

Thank you for your time and suggestions.