free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adjustment of Status

A permanent resident files I-130 for spouse and children living in Mexico. Spouse and children are approved for K3 Visa. They enter the US with the visa in 2003. The visa has now expired. The original petition (I-130) requested consular processing in Ciudad Juarez, Mexico. Since the family entered with inspection, can the adjust status in the US?

Thanks.

A permanent resident files I-130 for spouse and children living in Mexico. Spouse and children are approved for K3 Visa. They enter the US with the visa in 2003. The visa has now expired. The original petition (I-130) requested consular processing in Ciudad Juarez, Mexico. Since the family entered with inspection, can the adjust status in the US?

Thanks.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Delia:
    </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

is the permanent resident now a citizen !? K3s are for the spouses of US citizens.

Yes, after the approval of I-130 they can adjust status in the US.

No the petitioner is not a US Citizen. I am uncertain as to what type of visa his family received, maybe the K1? - at any rate, since he is not a citizen, can his family still adjust status in the US?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Delia:
    No the petitioner is not a US Citizen. I am uncertain as to what type of visa his family received, maybe the K1? - at any rate, since he is not a citizen, can his family still adjust status in the US? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Is it V visa?! If the petitioner is still PR, spouse and children can file for adjustment of status only when there is an immigrant visa number available to them according to Visa Bulletin
    http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/bu...etin_3143.html

Has the I-130 been approved? When it was filed?

Actually, the family came in to US with a V visa.

They are now being asked by Dept. of State to provide copy of current passport.

Can they fill out I-485 and adjust status in US?

was I-130 filed before 15 AUG 2000?

Yes it was. Their V visa was issued in July of 2000. They entered the US with that visa in Aug. 2000.

First of all, these beneficiaries are eligible to adjust under 245(i). Which is just legalese for they can most likely adjust here. Assuming no special problems, they should be able to adjust without even needing a waiver. They will have to pay an extra $1000 to the DHS and file the 245A supplement.
    Note: This is not legal advice. For legal advice contact a competent immigration attorney. http://asylumlaw.blogspot.com

Delia, did they enter in 2000 or 2003(first post)?
    If they entered in 2000, that would mean I-130 was filed in 1997 or before and they were eligible to adjust status long time ago...

Now, according to Visa Bulletin, spouses and children of PR on whose behalf I-130 was filed before 15 Aug 2000, may file for the adjustment of status. BTW, has I-130 been approved?

However, their V status has expired some time ago and they didn't renew it (in 2 year intervals). So, I am not sure if they can adjust status now without complications (not immediate relatives of USC, V-visa holders are under some special rules)... On the other hand, it may be as simple as senowen is saying..

I find it odd that Dept. of State would ask for copies of passport just out of blue.

Maybe a consultation with a lawyer would be a good idea.