free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Unsure if we are taking the correct steps

Hello,

My Husband was a refugee of war, brought into the USA by the Red Cross and had a 10 year Green Card. It expired earlier this year without him renewing it or applying for US Citizenship. We were married 1 month ago. We have been together 7 years, own a home together and have a child together.

For reasons beyond me, he did not renew or apply for citizenship before his Green Card expire. He has an appointment with the Immigration office on Thursday.

My fear is he will show up and be carted off because his card is expired. He is insisting that this will not happen.

He found a city website last night which is where he made the appointment at. It had an FAQ section and it did state that he will not be penalized for allowing his green card to expire, but I was talking with a co-worker today and he mentioned that that is probably a ploy to get expired status individuals into the office.

I think he was partly kidding but now I'm extremely nervous about my husband going in. Will he be able to apply for citizenship now?

Hello,

My Husband was a refugee of war, brought into the USA by the Red Cross and had a 10 year Green Card. It expired earlier this year without him renewing it or applying for US Citizenship. We were married 1 month ago. We have been together 7 years, own a home together and have a child together.

For reasons beyond me, he did not renew or apply for citizenship before his Green Card expire. He has an appointment with the Immigration office on Thursday.

My fear is he will show up and be carted off because his card is expired. He is insisting that this will not happen.

He found a city website last night which is where he made the appointment at. It had an FAQ section and it did state that he will not be penalized for allowing his green card to expire, but I was talking with a co-worker today and he mentioned that that is probably a ploy to get expired status individuals into the office.

I think he was partly kidding but now I'm extremely nervous about my husband going in. Will he be able to apply for citizenship now?

Taking advice from co-workers with no knowledge can be dangerous. The only problem would be if your husband has had a criminal conviction or been involved in terrorism.

Your husband should renew his greencard ASAP. My uncles greencard was expired a few years ago for almost a year and he didn't have any major problems renewing it. Since your husbands GC expired only a few months ago, I would apply immediately! Don't wait!!! Good luck.

That makes me feel loads better...yeah I'm sure my co-worker meant it in a joking manner but he actually went through a lawyer to get his Citenship and was trying to push me into using his. Would be nice if we had the $3000 he paid hahaha.

Thanks for the information!

Hi Kirst:

You husband should file I-90. His LPR status is can expired with the expiration of his GC.

You can visit following link:

http://www.uscis.gov/files/pre...rdRenewal_110702.pdf

The card has a 10yr expiry date but his status as a PR doesn't expire. Just file an I-90 as Tak says (and pay the $$$ of course!). He might want to file for Citizenship to avoid this problem again in the future.
    "What you see in the photograph isn't what you saw at the time. The real skill of photography is organized visual lying."