50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: illegal immigrant since age 2 now 20 and married to us citizen

all i know is the U.S, california...this is where i grew up. I hardly know anything about the country i was born in. I studied here and i still do, hoping to become a high school teacher, an english lit. teacher. but i was brought here illegally at the age of 2. Is there nothing i can do to adjust my status? will i still be forced to leave the country for 10 years even if i've lived here 18 years, married a u.s. citizen and carrying his child?
    I need help!

all i know is the U.S, california...this is where i grew up. I hardly know anything about the country i was born in. I studied here and i still do, hoping to become a high school teacher, an english lit. teacher. but i was brought here illegally at the age of 2. Is there nothing i can do to adjust my status? will i still be forced to leave the country for 10 years even if i've lived here 18 years, married a u.s. citizen and carrying his child?
    I need help!

There some kind of waiver for those who have been in the US for over 10 years, have strong community ties etc. It b asicaslly means presenting yourself to the BCIS and begging for mercy and you will need a lawyer for that and a competent one.

Veopurple, there is not such law that gives amnesty to any kid who was brougth here by their parents illegally. I am one of those who came here legally and am not able to adjust status. Marriage is ur best route only if you have applied or your parents have applied for I485 before April 31, 2001. If they HAVE applied then you are covered under the 245(i), which would allow u to marry a US Citizen and adjust status w/o any trouble. If NOT then you have to leave country and apply from there. The best thing for now, is to wait till next year when immigration is, HOPEFULLY, going to bring some changes. I am finished with my Electrical Eng. degree and waiting for something positive to turn up. I came legally and am under the 245(i) through my father's I130 petition, so I can adjust here in the US. Hope this helps. Good Luck.

thank you...i've done plenty of research and so far i haven't been able to do anything since i can't find anything i could do. i just really don't want to risk leaving the U.S. for 10 years when i know i can do so much here. I guess i will have to wait till next year.

yes there is... you should be searching for Cencellation of removal/suspension of deportation Law.
    Depending upon your entry or stay within US, you will be bale to adjust only , if you could
    1)put yourself into removal proceedings( there are consequences attached to it,, You were warned)
    2) prove you are in US for last 10 years under current Law OR 7+ years under previous Law, before issuing of any OSC or NTA.
    3)Prove hardship to USC/LPR only under new rules of IIRIRA act of 1996 Or Hardship to USC/LPR as well as Alien( yourself) under old Law of IMMACT1990.
    3) Last but not least, good Moral( no recorded crime etc.
    these are the main issues you have to deal with.
    Its a discussion, not a legal advise..

If you were inspected upon entry (if you came into the US on any kind of visa for instance) and you overstayed your visa, marriage to a U.S. citizen will qualify you to file for an immigrant petition and adjust status within the US. However, if you were not inspected upon entry to the US, the risky option Mohan recommended maybe your only recourse.
    Hopefully, for persons like you, lets hope the DREAM Act comes through.