50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
© 1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Living abroad and naturalization

I am a green card holder who moved overseas for a couple of years to work abroad since given the current economic downturn in the US I simply was not able to find employment that would allow me to pay off my credit card debts in the US and afford a decent living at the same time. I obtained a reentry permit prior to my departure and plan to remain abroad for about 2 years, as prescribed by the validity dates on the reentry permit. Moreover, I plan to travel to the US about every five months for a few days so that I have no absences longer than 180 days and hence do not break the continuity of residence for naturalization purposes. When I come back to the US, I plan to apply for US citizenship as early as I qualify for it. Does anyone know where INS will subject me to additional scrutiny and hassle me over my extended stay overseas despite the fact that I will have complied with all their rules? Anyone here has experience with a similar situation? Thanks for sharing!

I am a green card holder who moved overseas for a couple of years to work abroad since given the current economic downturn in the US I simply was not able to find employment that would allow me to pay off my credit card debts in the US and afford a decent living at the same time. I obtained a reentry permit prior to my departure and plan to remain abroad for about 2 years, as prescribed by the validity dates on the reentry permit. Moreover, I plan to travel to the US about every five months for a few days so that I have no absences longer than 180 days and hence do not break the continuity of residence for naturalization purposes. When I come back to the US, I plan to apply for US citizenship as early as I qualify for it. Does anyone know where INS will subject me to additional scrutiny and hassle me over my extended stay overseas despite the fact that I will have complied with all their rules? Anyone here has experience with a similar situation? Thanks for sharing!