50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: i-751 question on mailing day before green card expires

I have had a lot to pay for in the last few months and I just didn't have the 625 dollars to file the i-751 for my wife and stepson until yesterday. I mailed off the package this morning 4/22/2010 and my wife's green card expires tomorrow 4/23/2010. I should arrive at 3pm tomorrow on 4/23/2010. Will this be considered late? Will I have problems? I filed everything correctly in the package and we do have a joint child together. During our interview, they saw the birth certificate and just started stamping things and got us out quickly. Everything is legit, I just don't know if they go by the postmark or how do they consider it a late filing.

thanks in advance everyone!

Although you filed the I-751 forms on the last day of the 90-day filing window, you should be OK. I mean procedurally so. It just limits the movements of your spouse and stepson prior to the issuance of Receipt Notices/extensions.

So long as it's postmarked prior to expiration, you should be fine. In the meantime, make an infopass appointment for your son and wife and take a copy of everything you have in regards to the I-751 filing. They should stamp both passports with an extension, which will cover them until approval.
    The whole of life is but a moment of time. It is our duty, therefore to use it, not to misuse it - Plutarch

Thanks guys, I can sleep tonight. Do I need to wait for the receipt before making the infopass appointment?

One thing I learned, i.e. the hard way, USCIS acknowledges official proof of filing by the physical receipt date not by postmark. Another thing, if I were you, I won't dare show up for an infopass appointment after I stretched my luck with the rule of filing on the eve of the last day. Human nature, the attending clerk may give me a mouthful about my impatience, that's despite my 88 days of procrastination. If all things would be right, my dependents need to be on guard for just a matter of days anyway.

Thanks for the reply rough neighbor, So should do the infopass appointment at all? or should I wait until I have my receipt? I know the government could care less about why it took me as long as it did to get the 625 dollars to file. The important thing is to get my wife's drivers license renewed, that is all i care about. we won't be going overseas anytime soon since I work 7 days a week.

You'll need the receipt. They're normally reasonably quick with those, while infopass can take a little while, so if you're lucky, you'll have the receipt before the appointment date. If not, you can reschedule.
    The whole of life is but a moment of time. It is our duty, therefore to use it, not to misuse it - Plutarch