free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: If I get married...

So I'm a UK citizen, and a girl I've been dating for a few months say she'd marry me so I could get citizenship...

Right now I'm illegal (came with my family, who came on B1/B2 visas and overstayed). If I got married and started the green card application, am I able to get a driver's license and start working as soon as the application process is started or do I have to wait until the final approval which can take 5+ years?

So I'm a UK citizen, and a girl I've been dating for a few months say she'd marry me so I could get citizenship...

Right now I'm illegal (came with my family, who came on B1/B2 visas and overstayed). If I got married and started the green card application, am I able to get a driver's license and start working as soon as the application process is started or do I have to wait until the final approval which can take 5+ years?

Hi Spark3d,

Welcome to the forum. You will need to wait until your paperwork has been approved before you can get a driver's license and begin working. The process is not that simple and hopefully you are marrying for love and not just to get a green card. The folks at USCIS are quite suspicious of this sort of thing.

I sounds like you are after a GC!!

This is really sad!!!

Hopefully children will not get in the middle of this.... REALLY SAD!

what makes you say the process may take 5+ years?

After reading his previous post, he is just a kid trying to figure out how he can become legal here so he can earn a living. Let's not be too hard on him. His family came over on a tourist visa 5 years ago and didn't leave. He probably had no say in this matter and is now suffering the consequences.

No, I wouldn't get 'business' married solely for the purpose of getting a green card. I may get married earlier, much earlier, than I would normally, aware that it would ease my status.

Marriage is perfecly normal between a girl and a guy who like each other, so the only unusual thing is my age. And no, no way in hell I'd have kids. It'd be a usual gf/bf relationship with a technical marriage for immigration purposes primarily. We'd probably be living together since I have an apartment and semi-secure job.

These are side issues. What I'm wondering is roughly how long would it take before I could legally work and drive?

This is yet another example of parents absolving themselves of any responsibility for their children...and placing them in an impossible situation.

The parents knew what they were doing when they decided to disrespect America by ignoring its laws and sovereignty...but they gave no thought to their kid's future, and now he's an adult illegal alien.

I fully concur with davdah's warning to Spark3d, and advise him against his proposed course of action.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by spark3d:
    No, I wouldn't get 'business' married solely for the purpose of getting a green card. I may get married earlier, much earlier, than I would normally, aware that it would ease my status.

Marriage is perfecly normal between a girl and a guy who like each other, so the only unusual thing is my age. And no, no way in hell I'd have kids. It'd be a usual gf/bf relationship with a technical marriage for immigration purposes primarily. We'd probably be living together since I have an apartment and semi-secure job.

These are side issues. What I'm wondering is roughly how long would it take before I could legally work and drive? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're getting married much, much earlier so you can get a green card. No matter how you try and justify it to yourself, it's fraud.

And people don't get married because they like each other. They get married because they're in love and want to spend the rest of their lives together.

However, the technical answer to your question is that you would be able to work etc IF your EAD etc is approved. I'm also with Davdah on this. You may be willing to take the risk, but does your girlfriend know that she could spend a long time in jail too?
    The whole of life is but a moment of time. It is our duty, therefore to use it, not to misuse it - Plutarch

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">So I'm a UK citizen, and a girl I've been dating for a few months say she'd marry me so I could get citizenship...

Right now I'm illegal (came with my family, who came on B1/B2 visas and overstayed). If I got married and started the green card application, am I able to get a driver's license and start working as soon as the application process is started or do I have to wait until the final approval which can take 5+ years? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The process will only take about 6 or 9 months.
    I-130, I-485 and I-765. When your EAD (I-765)application is approved you can apply for ss#
    and driver's license.

To get the green card you have to prove
    your marriage is in good faith base on evidence
    submitted and the result of your interview.