Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: N 400 And Ticket

Hello all the members,
    Its been a while I took part in any discussion on this forum.Life got busy.
    Any way lets come to th point.I m about to apply for N400.There are questions regarding Criminal History.
    1-----On the record I was never arrested,detained or finger printed.But I got 2 tickets.One was speeding ticket in 2001 while I was on J-1 Student Exchange Visa.I paid the ticket and it was done deal.Then in 2006 I got ticket for Violating the Park Curfew.Again I was on J-1 Student Exchange Visa.All the tickets were before I applied for green Card.
    2-----Any way my question is What should I answer for the question about Was I ever arrested,detained or Cited?
    3----What Citation means?If someone got ticket that means he/she was Cited?
    Please help me out to answer that tricky question.
    Thanks in Advance.
    griffins

A ticket is a citation, however you don't have to report traffic violations and at least one of yours was.
    The whole of life is but a moment of time. It is our duty, therefore to use it, not to misuse it - Plutarch

Hello Every body on this forum,
    I asked question regarding N-400 and Citation.I went to court house got the copy of the Park Curfew Ticket that I got in 2006.
    But my speeding ticket which I got in 2001 in Wisconsin is no where to be found.I called the Court Clerk of the Suake County who is responsible for Traffic Violation Tickets.Guess what She cant find the Record at all on my name.
    How can I get the copy of Ticket issued in 2001 that is no where to be found?
    Is there any online resource to get the Copy of ticket?
    Thanks a buch to all of u.
    griffins

You don't need it, Griffins. You don't have to report traffic violations.
    The whole of life is but a moment of time. It is our duty, therefore to use it, not to misuse it - Plutarch

Thanks a bunch aroha,
    Its a very tricky question in N400.Have u ever been Cited?As I understand I have to be honest.If I mention only 2006 Park Curfew Violation ticket and Immigration Knuckle heads find out about Speeding Ticket.They gonna Put me in Bad Moral Character Category.What do u think?
    griffins

If the traffic ticket (moving violation) was less than a $500 fine and/or less than 3 points on your license you don't have to provide any supporting documentation. You still have to mention the violation. I wouldn't worry about the speeding ticket. In my Natz interview she wasn't interested in the speeding ticket I had. If they are, just show proof you paid it.
    "What you see in the photograph isn't what you saw at the time. The real skill of photography is organized visual lying."

Thanks a bunch Mrit 4064.By the way What supporting Documents did you include in your N 400?Where did you file though?How long it took till Oath Ceremony?
    griffins

My Bad Its Brit 4064.Typing mistake My bad.
    griffins

All I had was an old (previously seen) Subject Access report about a caution given in 1989. Proof of payment of the traffic tickets I took to the interview (not asked for) and the required 5yrs of tax transcripts also not asked for.

I filed in June 2006 at the TSC and got caught up in the infamous FBI namecheck delay fiasco. I had the interview and Oath ceremony same day in Oct 2008 in SC.
    "What you see in the photograph isn't what you saw at the time. The real skill of photography is organized visual lying."

griffins81,
    I had a similar situation. I reported the tickets.

One thing I learned, is that it all depends on the Interviewer. If you do report the tickets, be prepared to provide sealed proof as my first interviewer requested.
    The benefit of reporting the tickets is that you will have peice of mind after naturalization and you dont have to look over your shoulder with the fear that USCIS will one day find out that you lied and take your citizenship away; although this scenario is very unlikely, some people prefer to live with a piece of mind.

You can choose not to report the tickets. Be sure to stick to your story then at the interview. In that case, you will be lying under oath. The interviewer may not find out and then you will get your citizenship. If you live a normal low key life, you wont have to fear anything. But, if by a bit of luck you become a high profile person or wealthy individual, people will be digging dirt on you and they could potentially use the ticket situation against you.
    So the choice is your. The bottom line is this:

Should the traffic tickets be reported on N-400?Yes.
    Do you have to provide the proof of payment is the fine was under $500? Technically no, but to be safe you should have a sealed proof with you. If the interviewer does not like you, he/she would require that you provide proof. And the interviewer holds all the cards at this point. So prepare for it.

Can you get away without reporting the traffic tickets? Yes, you could, but be aware of the potential risk down the road.

I hope this helps.

F.Y.I.: I had to obtain a sealed proof of traffic ticket payment and even after that, the interviewer rescheduled me for another interview with a 2 months delay. I am still waiting for that second interview. Is it worth it? Yeah, at least after all of this, I wont have to look over my shoulder.