50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Case when being US citizen worse than alien

I'm a naturalized US citizen in need of emergency travel to Canada but I've lost my certificate of citizenship. I have filed the forms to get a replacement certificate, but don't expect to get it processed for maybe a few months. I was also recommended to submit a Freedome of Information Act request to obtain proof of naturalization to apply for a passport. All the emergency travel applications I've come across are for aliens.

I actually have my alien registration number I received from US/Candian border last time I travelled without citizenship papers (many years ago).

Anyone know how to go about getting the information needed to get a passport without meeting the requirements outlined. The freedom of information act is expected to provide records of naturalization but I'm not sure if I can get a passport with that.

I'm a naturalized US citizen in need of emergency travel to Canada but I've lost my certificate of citizenship. I have filed the forms to get a replacement certificate, but don't expect to get it processed for maybe a few months. I was also recommended to submit a Freedome of Information Act request to obtain proof of naturalization to apply for a passport. All the emergency travel applications I've come across are for aliens.

I actually have my alien registration number I received from US/Candian border last time I travelled without citizenship papers (many years ago).

Anyone know how to go about getting the information needed to get a passport without meeting the requirements outlined. The freedom of information act is expected to provide records of naturalization but I'm not sure if I can get a passport with that.

you might want to post on www.britishexpats.com and see if you get a quick response-more posters there.

Whats the need of certificate of citizenship? Why cant you use your US passport?

How can you lose such an important document? If you are an American Citizen, then you do not have an Alien Registration Number, so it is irrelevant that you know what you number used to be.

Let me ask you few questions:
    1- How did you got your Immigration visa?
    2- Through Consular processing or married to USC?
    2(a) Since your Naturalization have you had a US Passport?
    3- Alien Number is the permanent record of all
    immigrants.
    4- The same Alien Number will appear on your
    Green Card.
    5- Same Alien Number appears in Red on top Right
    hand side of your Naturalization Certificate.
    6- If you know date and place of your
    Naturalization the passport office can check
    this information.
    7- It will take two/three days for the passport office to get this info they will be able to issue a passport to you or they can issue Limited validity passport for six month.
    Burdan of proof lays on you, and they might ask you some more info as well.

Still Learning,
    Thank you. I just posted there too.

marmaduk,
    I never had a US passport before.

SunDevilUSA,
    I lost it due to careless mixing it with my school stuff (big mess). Must have tossed it out a few months before realizing it's gone.

Adam,
    1. I received my Immigration visa from sponsorship of my family as refugees.
    2. See item 1
    2a. I never had a passport (I found out it would be much easier to get a passport without citizenship certificate if I already had one).
    3/4/5. I got my alien number from border office (US/Canadian border).
    6. I'm getting citizenship certificate of my parents sent to me (hope date and place of naturalization is on there). I automatically became US citizen from my parents naturalization.
    7. Do I need to go to one of the few service centers with appointment (5 hour drive there and 5 hour drive back) -or- would a regular post office of passport place be able to dig up enough proof from alien number and date and place?

I called USCIS about getting passport without citizenship certificate and no prior passport and they said I would need a list of things including proof of legal entry to US, proof of birth on foreign country, proof of parents marriage, proof of relation to parents, proof of parents citizenship... etc. No way I'm able to get all this. My family left as refugees with no records.

USCIS office also said I may be able to get passport just by showing them a receipt from application of citizenship certificate replacement. No idea when that will be or if that's even enough to get a passport. I will have both my parents certificates and some proof of legal entry through sponsorship though.

Bustamante,
    You will need to start to start somewhere to prove your case because as you know, no one will take your word for it and give you a passport or green card just because you "claim" to be a citizen.

When you came here and enrolled in school, are you sure the school did not keep a record of one of the legal documents? Or when you applied for a Social security number, you did not have a record of these? When you got a job, wherever you may have worked, they never asked you for proof of citizenship? Did you give them a copy?

How about going or sending a letter to one of these people, identify yourself and ask for a copy of your file?

Also, you need to schedule an INFOPASS appointment once you get your alien registration number and go there and ask how you can get a new certificate of naturalization.

Bottomline is YOU must do something to get this straightened out. By your own admission you lost your certificate with school stuff (whatever that means).

Maybe next time you will be more careful with keeping your stuff safely. In future you also need to keep COPIES of all documents or memorize your alien registration number, same way you memorize your social security number or save it somewhere.

I now have the following:
    1. parent's original naturalization certificates
    2. sponsorship documents for family
    3. parents's refugee application for legal entry into the US
    3. alien registration documents of each family member incl mine.

From my parents original naturalization certificates, I now have the court and date of naturalization; incl name of clerk and deputy clerk. The Freedom of Information Act request should dig up my records, but I will call the court myself if I can get them also.

Probably not surprising, but only 1 of 8 previous employers asked for proof of citizenship. The kicker is that during that out-of-state internship assignment was when I lost the certificate since I had to bring it with me. Job was doing research for a State University so that may be why they were more keen on proof. I plan to contact them to see if they can bring up my records.

I will try my luck with the post office, but it looks like I'll have to make an Infopass appointment and make the 5 hr trek there.