publisher - over
50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Petitioning for Child, may or may not be bio.

This is a question for someone else. My US Cit. friend (born in US)has recognized a child in another country as his own. This child still lives in that country with her mother. He had his name added to the Birth Certificate recently when the child was 12 yrs old. This child may or may not be his own. They are unsure. Can this child still be petitioned? Even if they are not biologically related? He has been providing support since she was born. Thank you.

This is a question for someone else. My US Cit. friend (born in US)has recognized a child in another country as his own. This child still lives in that country with her mother. He had his name added to the Birth Certificate recently when the child was 12 yrs old. This child may or may not be his own. They are unsure. Can this child still be petitioned? Even if they are not biologically related? He has been providing support since she was born. Thank you.

Seeing as his name is on the birth certificate..he will be considered the legal father of the child and can apply for that childs us consulate of birth certificate. Thats about all he needs to do. That will enable the child to be recognized as a US citizen that was born abroad. If he wasnt married to the mother, he will have to furnish an avidavit of support stating that he will provide that the childs financial needs until the age of 18, he will have to have a notarized form stating all the dates that he lived in the us after the age of 14 and he will need to physically go the US embassy in the country that the child is born.

Thanks for the response, my friend is telling me that since he recognized her late they may require a DNA test to prove bio. relationship. I guess his real question is what happens if he is not Bio. tied? Would this be a problem? Or would he still be eligible for an immigrant Visa & not a "Birth Abroad" Thanks again.

Simply adding father's name do not qualify the child to become a US Citizen at birth.
    It all depends upon where the child was born. Many countries do issued delayed birth certificate,but the original records are also attached to.
    Now question araise Why fahter had not register the birth after the child was born? What's take him so long to do the Consular Report of Birth Aboard?
    For the information of:
    LOST IN US: Consulate/Embassy also investigate most of the birth cases if a mother is a foreign born.
    It looks like father was not married to the child's mother.

Since adding the father's name doesn't automatically qualify the child to become a US Citizen at birth, what about an immigrant visa. The father is not married or even with the mother. The reason so late to put the name on the cert is that the mother didn't want to. Latest update is the child isn't biological after all. I guess the real question is how does the consulate see it as far as issuing a visa & not a US Passport.

What about adoption? Is it possible to officially adopt my child from here in the US? Any thoughts?