50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: puerto rican citizen are US citizen too?

I'm just curious if they are, because my mom is a citizen of saipan (american territory) but that doesn't make her a US citizen, i know that puerto rico is american territory too but they don't pay taxes to the US right? if you are a citizen of puerto rico does that make you a US citizen?
    chinita

I'm just curious if they are, because my mom is a citizen of saipan (american territory) but that doesn't make her a US citizen, i know that puerto rico is american territory too but they don't pay taxes to the US right? if you are a citizen of puerto rico does that make you a US citizen?
    chinita

Puerto Ricans are U.S. Citizens.

Thanks sundevil. that's good, because i am me and my husband are planning to visit in puerto rico but since i am still waiting for my GC i didn't know if i can go to other country, i can go to all other state here in america, maybe in puerto rico i can go to since it is america too.
    chinita

Yes, you should have no trouble traveling to Puerto Rico, as it is considered to be domestic travel.

However, Puerto Rico is NOT actually "America too."

Puerto Rico is a Commonwealth associated with the United States, and while its people are American Citizens, the island itself is not part of the United States (although, of course, it is under American jurisdiction and sovereignty).

sorry i thought the citizen in saipan are not US citizen, but somebody told me that if you are citizen of saipan you are us citizen too.
    chinita

thanks again. well we will be planning our vacation next month. this is great news.
    chinita

I hope that you have a wonderful visit.

Solodocat: You say that your mom is a citizen of Saipan. It is my understanding that she was, thus, born in the Northern Mariana Islands. Initially, I thought that those born in the Northern Mariana Islands were U.S. Nationals, but not U.S. Citizens.

A little further research leads me to believe that they are, in fact, U.S. Citizens (but you may want to check this further).

If your mom is a U.S. Citizen as a result of birth in the Northern Mariana Islands, you may be able to claim U.S. Citizenship through your mother. At the very least, it is worth a little investigation.

I realize that you're in the process of obtaining permanent resident status, but nothing beats being an American :-)