publisher - over
50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Advise on becoming a U.S. Citizen.

Would like some advise on the possibility of my becoming a U.S. Citizen. I have been in the U.S. legally since 1987, I am 31 now. I have had my permanent resident status for 18 year. In 1997 I was convicted of one count of misdemeanor domestic violence against my wife ( I was 23 and DUMB). We were unmarried at the time, I have had the record exsponged. This is the only crime I have ever been convicted of, except for traffic violations. I have also pulled my criminal record (state & fed) and the ONLY thing that comes up is my domestic violence. Which I served 30 day in jail and 3 years probation. I had a citizenship interview in 1998 and the charge came up. The officer told me that I would have to get off probation before being considered for citizenship. I have read allot on immigration law. However, I am unable to come to a conclusion on the possibility of obtaining Citizenship. My wife is a citizen and so are my two children all U.S. born. if it make a difference. Thanks 4 any advise...

Would like some advise on the possibility of my becoming a U.S. Citizen. I have been in the U.S. legally since 1987, I am 31 now. I have had my permanent resident status for 18 year. In 1997 I was convicted of one count of misdemeanor domestic violence against my wife ( I was 23 and DUMB). We were unmarried at the time, I have had the record exsponged. This is the only crime I have ever been convicted of, except for traffic violations. I have also pulled my criminal record (state & fed) and the ONLY thing that comes up is my domestic violence. Which I served 30 day in jail and 3 years probation. I had a citizenship interview in 1998 and the charge came up. The officer told me that I would have to get off probation before being considered for citizenship. I have read allot on immigration law. However, I am unable to come to a conclusion on the possibility of obtaining Citizenship. My wife is a citizen and so are my two children all U.S. born. if it make a difference. Thanks 4 any advise...

You was convicted in 1997, What month?
    your interview was in 1998.What month?
    served 30 days jail time. month and year?
    3 years probations started month and year?
    Do your home work on the above or post the dates to make sure that you are in line of a citizenship requirements.

ces_q:

You may have a serious problem due to this domestic violence conviction and you should consult with an immigration attorney that can analyze the criminal conviction as it relates to immigration deportation law. Do not even think about applying for citizenship until you have your situation reviewed.

"Domestic Violence" can be a ground of removal alone. It may also be a crime of moral turpitude and/or it may be an aggravated felony.

For the sake of your wife & children - immediately seek legal assistance.

Okie Celt

Thanks for the candidness of your replays. I plan to schedule several consultations with different immigration lawyers. I hope my next post receives the same candidness. Found a good immgration message board. What luck...

Thanks.