free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Naturalization

seven years ago, I was arrested for domestic violence after my wife unrightly called 911. Case was dismissed and sealed. I'm intending to apply for naturalization this spring and I have the following questions:

1- For the question: Why were you arrested, cited, detained, or charged?
    To be politically and legally correct, what is the right answer in my case. Is it a 911 call by my wife or domestic violence?

2- Have you ever been in Jail or prison?
    Is there a legal terminology here? I was detained over night in a detention center and released the very next day. Was I in jail or prison?

3. The N-400 form requires to attach a written explanation, detailing what happened (reason for arrest). Do I have to go into the minute details of what happened? How many lines this explanation entails? The whole thing was unbased and untrue and my wife regretted calling 911, so what do I write?

seven years ago, I was arrested for domestic violence after my wife unrightly called 911. Case was dismissed and sealed. I'm intending to apply for naturalization this spring and I have the following questions:

To be politically and legally correct, what is the right answer in my case. Is it a 911 call by my wife or domestic violence?

Is there a legal terminology here? I was detained over night in a detention center and released the very next day. Was I in jail or prison?

3. The N-400 form requires to attach a written explanation, detailing what happened (reason for arrest). Do I have to go into the minute details of what happened? How many lines this explanation entails? The whole thing was unbased and untrue and my wife regretted calling 911, so what do I write?

1. yes (you were cited)
    2. yes, (you were detained probably in a county jail)
    3. yes. Provide a brief explanation and why the case was dismissed (such as lack of grounds for the charge).<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bouree:

3. The N-400 form requires to attach a written explanation, detailing what happened (reason for arrest). Do I have to go into the minute details of what happened? How many lines this explanation entails? The whole thing was unbased and untrue and my wife regretted calling 911, so what do I write? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Geez guys! Some modesty please!!
    I realize I'm asking simple questions, but could someone respond?

Swissnut!
    Thanks for your response but could provide more details.

Swissnut,
    Thanks for your reponse. Could you elaborate a little bit. You mentioned that a Detention Center and a jail/prison is one and the same thing. Right?

You said I was cited. Actually I was arrested overnight. I guess I'm not sure what's the difference between citation and arrest.

How would I know why it was dismissed. The disposition doesn't mention why it was dismissed. My wife didn't press any charges.

Swissnut,
    Since you liked my expression on the Bikini, could yoy please elaborate a little bit on my questions. Thanks!

1. You were most likely held in a county detention center (also known affectionately as county jail)

2. You were arrested and held and later released

3. Simply state that no charges were filed, or that charges were dropped by your wife, after she regretted involving the police in the incident<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bouree:
    Swissnut,
    Thanks for your reponse. Could you elaborate a little bit. You mentioned that a Detention Center and a jail/prison is one and the same thing. Right?

You said I was cited. Actually I was arrested overnight. I guess I'm not sure what's the difference between citation and arrest.

How would I know why it was dismissed. The disposition doesn't mention why it was dismissed. My wife didn't press any charges. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank you swissnut. My wife didn't press charges but what about the police don't they file charges too?

According to your initial post, the case was dismissed. <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bouree:
    Thank you swissnut. My wife didn't press charges but what about the police don't they file charges too? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now I'm really confused.
    My case was dismissed but the night of the arrest the ticket said arrested for harrassment / domestic violance.

So what should I reply as to the outcome of the arrest: no charges filed or charges dismissed??