free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: attorney? ha!

I had an appointment with attorney. I found his name, his site, his credentials. Everything looks good.
    His office was actually nice. That's all. 5 minuts he had a chat with a co-worker, 10 minuts I told him my concern (before I e-mailed the question I need to know and brought the copy of e-mail to office). After he got my question (the answer should be yes or no), he had read the couple books 30 minuts(!!!!!!!) I wated and couple times tried to ask the details. He stopped me. and continued to read. THE LAST 15 minutes he told the things I knew were wrong. Then suddently stopped ask to pay the fee $100.00, said "Bye, I will call you". I knew he never will call. I did not knew that the lawyer can be so unprofessional. I was so upset, Still I feel humiliation of the appointment. I will Never ask advice from the lawyer. Do you guys had the experience like this? My friends paid $3.000-$5,000 and got nothing. How to find the decent lawyer? Is this possible? Thanks friends.

I had an appointment with attorney. I found his name, his site, his credentials. Everything looks good.
    His office was actually nice. That's all. 5 minuts he had a chat with a co-worker, 10 minuts I told him my concern (before I e-mailed the question I need to know and brought the copy of e-mail to office). After he got my question (the answer should be yes or no), he had read the couple books 30 minuts(!!!!!!!) I wated and couple times tried to ask the details. He stopped me. and continued to read. THE LAST 15 minutes he told the things I knew were wrong. Then suddently stopped ask to pay the fee $100.00, said "Bye, I will call you". I knew he never will call. I did not knew that the lawyer can be so unprofessional. I was so upset, Still I feel humiliation of the appointment. I will Never ask advice from the lawyer. Do you guys had the experience like this? My friends paid $3.000-$5,000 and got nothing. How to find the decent lawyer? Is this possible? Thanks friends.

That is horrible.

I am sorry you wasted your money like that.

Try to do your business yourself, use the message boards and INS, THEN go to a lawyer.

I had a similar problem where the lawyer wanted to charge me $2000 just to fill out i-130 papers. I did it myself.

Goodluck

For that kind of money I'll fill it out Anon

Ask your question here sureI, and take Anon's advice. That's what I did, asked the INS.

Thank you ANON! You know I am reading all immigration staff that I can find in the Internet begining from June. The question is one only, "Does Immigration law actually told about pending of AOS for the parolee Lautenberg status if adjusting package came in the INS After ONE YEAR?
    The parolee Lautenberg agree with INS rules can adjust status After One Year not before. How late after: One day, one month after? But I-94 shows paroled until... and because submission was later INS in place where should be the Green Card gave the detantion and the pending of I-485.

That is so horrible,I filled out my own Citizenship application,and it has been approved,before going for the interview,I had a question about an arrest issue,so I went to see an Attorney,he charged me $100.00,and like your case,he got out his book and started to read.There are so many bad Attorney trying to take advantage of peoples immigration situation,I found the BOARDS very helpful.Goodluck

Sorry to hear about your experience. I had so far usually good experience (though it cost me a fraction of an Enron sell-out ;-)

If the attorney senses that you're not aware of the laws, they may act like that, I'm very aware of my (civil) rights (included), and had usually very good result

I'm sorry to hear of your bad experience with the lawyer. I have thus far (knock on wood) had a pleasant experience with mine. This is what I did from my experience:

- I did plenty of research concerning my situation and what my possibilities are to resolve my issues. The internet and ILW site is a great source for suggestions and opinions, but don't believe everything you read on the net! Even though there are lots of information out there, there is also lots of MISinformation! Thats what lawyers are for: so much information can leave you confused, and lawyers are there to verify what your options are and alleviate your confusion.

- Getting a lawyer depends on how complex your situation is. Some lawyers specialize in certain areas of immigration. If your case concerns your falling out of status, then it would be worthwhile to hire a lawyer. If not, and if you are confident of your abilities with immigration laws and procedures, then save yourself some money and do it yourself.

- Not all lawyers are bad. Again, maybe the lawyer you went to doesn't specialize in the area you need. But if he/she does, and wasted your time and money, this lawyer is obviously not for you. Look in the yellow pages, and/or friends you know that have either dealt with an immigration lawyer or can refer you to a good one.
    I found my lawyer through a referral from my friend's immigration lawyer.

- Last but not least, the Immigration process is going to cost a lot of money no matter what. I feel whatever monies invested in this process now will not only be cheaper, but well worth the price than the price for any possible future immigration problems. Good luck!

I would say look for young, motivated lawyers, because the old ones are usually full of s**t, since they already walked the carrier path. The young ones also know the immigration laws better and they are not charging that much, and care more about people.

Did you find this attorney through this web site? If not, did he specialize in immigration law?