50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: My husband's N-400 experience

It's time to post my husband's naturalization interview experience.
    Everything went great and he passed the interview. He applied in April 2003 based on a 5 year residency with Miami being the local district office. He got a very kind immigration officer. Firts he was sworn to tell the truth and only the truth. Then the interviewing lady went through his application asking him questions about me, his previous spouse, his employment at the moment. My husband was very concerned about the traffic tickets he got since he did not mention them on the application. The immigration officer was not really interested in them. She was more concerned about the selective service registration. So, was my husband since he failed to register although he was present in the US 20 days before his 26 birthday. Not only that, but this question was the one wchich my husband made a correction on. When he filed his application he misread the question and answered the question wrong. At the interview he had the chance and made the correction. So everithing was corrected. He was asked only four civic and history questions and had to write down The teacher was proud of her class. The best part is that his application got approved and got the appointmet letter for the oath on the spot. His oath is scheduled for May 10,2004. We are extremely happy. Good luck to everyone

It's time to post my husband's naturalization interview experience.
    Everything went great and he passed the interview. He applied in April 2003 based on a 5 year residency with Miami being the local district office. He got a very kind immigration officer. Firts he was sworn to tell the truth and only the truth. Then the interviewing lady went through his application asking him questions about me, his previous spouse, his employment at the moment. My husband was very concerned about the traffic tickets he got since he did not mention them on the application. The immigration officer was not really interested in them. She was more concerned about the selective service registration. So, was my husband since he failed to register although he was present in the US 20 days before his 26 birthday. Not only that, but this question was the one wchich my husband made a correction on. When he filed his application he misread the question and answered the question wrong. At the interview he had the chance and made the correction. So everithing was corrected. He was asked only four civic and history questions and had to write down The teacher was proud of her class. The best part is that his application got approved and got the appointmet letter for the oath on the spot. His oath is scheduled for May 10,2004. We are extremely happy. Good luck to everyone

Congratulations to your husband. What did the immigration officer exactly say to your husband about selective service. How did he answer her?
    I am in the same boat and did not register bc i did'nt know about that. I have an interview scheduled June 16th.
    thanks

Yes, please answer Omar1010's question. I am not really sure about that question either. My husband was here but with not status during the time you are supposed to register, and anyways we did not know about Selective Service, (how are you supposed to register anyway?) So I am not sure what to put on his application.

My husband entered the US for the first time 20 days before his 26 birthday as a lawful permanent resident. He won the green card from the lottery. Since he was present in the US before his 26 birthday, according to law one is supposed to register with the Selective Service. When we requested the status letter from the selective service, the letter said that he was NOT supposed to register since he enetered the country 20 days before his 26 birthday. So, I guess the rule has exceptions. The truth is that he didn't register since in this short period of time he was not aware of the requirement. He wrote an explanation letter why he failed to register as per intructions of the N-400 application. The letter said that in these 20 days he was not aware of the requirement to register and certifies that he did not neglect the requirement on purpose. This was his explanation and the immigration officer accepted it. You will be fine guys. My husband also had to make a correction to question 33 on the application are you a male who lived in the US between 18 and 26 birthday in any status except for lawfull nonimmigrant.At the beginning of the interview he told the officer that he wanted to make a correction to this question when they get to it. When he filled the application he read lawful immigrant instead of lawful nonimmigrant and therefore checked NO, when the answer should have been YES. He found out about the mistake after he had applied, then we got the letter from the Selective Service. On the interview he changed his answer to YES, gave the immigration officer the status letter from Selective Service and the written explanation why he failed.
    Omar, the interviewing officer will ask you whether you registered or not. Answer that you didn't know and that you did not do it on purpose. It won't hurt. If you answered question 33 rigth and submitted the status letter from Selective Service and your written explanation with the application, the immigration officer will already know about it.
    Ardainia, as far as I know even out of status males are required to register if they lived in the US between 18 -26 birthday. If your husband was present here at that time even out of status, I would answer YES to question 33 on the application, I will get the status letter from Selective Service and will write an explanation that was not aware of the requirement, but did not fail to register on purpose. I hope this helps.