50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Freaking out, please help!!!!

My interview is just a week away and I'm afraid me and my husband won't have the necessary documents proving our marriage is bonafide (even thoug it IS!!).

We are a young couple,working off the books,neither one of us filed taxes the years prior to our marriage. (His uncle will be co-sponsering and has filed all the paperwork). Also,my husband (who is a US citizen) was arrested last year on drug charges. He's only given 3 months of community service, it wasn't anything serious, but I'm afraid this won't make a good impression during the interview. (I've heard we need "arrest clearences" and we're not sure of what that is).

I received my work permit in August and I've only worked on the books for a month since then. So both of us will be presenting letters from our employers, we don't have W2s. Also, we don't have bank/credit card statements because we do not have a bank account. All we have is tons of pictures, letters from our employers,a couple of bills and his uncle as a co-sponser.

We're also expecting our first baby right now.

Do you think we'll have any problems? Do you think his past (arrests, lack of employment,short period of time on public assistance, etc) will be a negative factor? Can they deny my application based on his character,even though he's changed now?

Please,help.

My interview is just a week away and I'm afraid me and my husband won't have the necessary documents proving our marriage is bonafide (even thoug it IS!!).

We are a young couple,working off the books,neither one of us filed taxes the years prior to our marriage. (His uncle will be co-sponsering and has filed all the paperwork). Also,my husband (who is a US citizen) was arrested last year on drug charges. He's only given 3 months of community service, it wasn't anything serious, but I'm afraid this won't make a good impression during the interview. (I've heard we need "arrest clearences" and we're not sure of what that is).

I received my work permit in August and I've only worked on the books for a month since then. So both of us will be presenting letters from our employers, we don't have W2s. Also, we don't have bank/credit card statements because we do not have a bank account. All we have is tons of pictures, letters from our employers,a couple of bills and his uncle as a co-sponser.

We're also expecting our first baby right now.

Do you think we'll have any problems? Do you think his past (arrests, lack of employment,short period of time on public assistance, etc) will be a negative factor? Can they deny my application based on his character,even though he's changed now?

Please,help.

Hi.

First of all, don't freak out. I know that part is hard.

Second of all, have you looked on the immigration web site? It is confusing and very poorly written, but hey it is there to provide all of the information that we need.

I am not sure how much character they are looking for? I am finding out how unforgiving the system is here. Do you have anybody else outside of your job that can testify what sort of people you are? If you can get that in writing, it may not help, but it won't hurt to have charcter references. Perhaps, there is somebody that knows you two as a couple? If they will write a recommendation for you and make it look official. I always think that official means a signature from a notary public.

Anyway, best of luck to you.

jenne

Feicity,

Your husband runnings with the law should not affect you getting your Greencard. Just try and prove that the marriage is bonifide. The interview is not about the USC character but whether or not the marriage was enter into in good faith. The public assistance might be a problem, depending on how long ago he came of it. Go to the link below and ask a immigration attorney your question for free, just click on their names. Good luck

http://experts.about.com/q/Immigrati...-344/index.htm

The examiner will be asking for joint bank accounts, leases, insurance cards, credit card statements, employment letters, affidavits, threee years of taxes,wedding pictures, and follow up pictures while together, and anything else to prove real marriage, if not they will postpone until you can furnish all the documents.

Another suggestion: You can show that you both have the same address. What about mail that comes to either or both of you at the same address? Junk mail, cards to the two of you. Make sure drivers licenses have same address. Magazine subscriptions that come to either of you?

You are worried about the convictions of your husband but have an approved I-130. The I-130 is approved for the U.S. citizen, so the time for concern has passed.
    Regarding the bona-fide intent of your marriage, you do not have to overdo it. Do not try to fabricate evidence, just tell the truth, be honest and cooperative.
    If CIS has any concern about your case they could ask you for more evidence or could interview your employer or a neighbor or show up at your residence to check things out.
    Good moral character is not a bar to relief under 245, there's no need to seek testimony of others on those grounds, however, sworn affidavits of your neighbors stating that you live and reside together could be beneficial.
    In my opinion you already proved your case, actually you're not in bad shape at all! You will not be denied for lack of evidence, is CIS wants more evidence they'll ask you to provide it or they will try to get it on their own. You could be denied AOS because of your own actions (i.e. trying to manipulate the adjudicator, criminal convictions that are both very severe and recent and others). At the same time you have powerful equities on your side. Very recently the Court of Appeals for the 9th circuit ruled the immediate relative status is "more than enough to overcome" the applicant's eight convictions for DUI.
    This is not legal advice, you should contact an attorney if you require legal help.

Utility bills, cable bills, cell phone bills, insurance auto policies all showing you live at the same address can help too.
    The above is simply an opinion. Your mileage may vary. For immigration issues, please consult an immigration attorney.