50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Confused... Consular Processing.

Background:
    I-130 filed Apr 2001, approved Dec 2001.
    Due to some circumstances I-824 (for DCF) filed Jan 2003, approved Jan 2004.
    I got a letter from the NVC with enclosed form DS-3032 (Choice of Agent and Address) in Feb 2004.

The letter says:
    "This form tells us how to contact you during your immigrant visa processing. ... Mail delivery is often unreliable in many parts of the world so we *in bold letters* strongly recommend that you choose someone who has an address in the United States. ... When we receive your completed Choice of Agent and Address form, we will send you or your agent further instructions and forms to be completed and returned to the Department of State."

Question:
    In my understanding the forms that will be returned to the Department of State (I assume the U.S. embassy) has to have my signature on them. If the NVC will send the forms to the U.S. address, that person will have to forward (mail) them to me anyway so I can sign them and mail back and this sort of defeats the purpose of the NVC sending the form directly to me, right? Then why do they insist on mailing the forms to the U.S. address? What about the U.S. embassy? Will it mail the packets to the U.S. address also?

Please anybody who has been through the process help me understand it.
    Thanks.

Background:
    I-130 filed Apr 2001, approved Dec 2001.
    Due to some circumstances I-824 (for DCF) filed Jan 2003, approved Jan 2004.
    I got a letter from the NVC with enclosed form DS-3032 (Choice of Agent and Address) in Feb 2004.

The letter says:
    "This form tells us how to contact you during your immigrant visa processing. ... Mail delivery is often unreliable in many parts of the world so we *in bold letters* strongly recommend that you choose someone who has an address in the United States. ... When we receive your completed Choice of Agent and Address form, we will send you or your agent further instructions and forms to be completed and returned to the Department of State."

Question:
    In my understanding the forms that will be returned to the Department of State (I assume the U.S. embassy) has to have my signature on them. If the NVC will send the forms to the U.S. address, that person will have to forward (mail) them to me anyway so I can sign them and mail back and this sort of defeats the purpose of the NVC sending the form directly to me, right? Then why do they insist on mailing the forms to the U.S. address? What about the U.S. embassy? Will it mail the packets to the U.S. address also?

Please anybody who has been through the process help me understand it.
    Thanks.

Just a side note.
    After mailing the Choice of Agent and Address form back to the NVC it's supposed to forward the approved I-130 the the U.S. embassy in the country of my present residence, right? In my understadning I won't be dealing with the NVC anymore but with the U.S. embassy? So, wouldn't it be better for mailing purposes to give NVC local address?

My friend Sherry also got this form and she was calling Bureau of CA to try to get explanation of this form. Her 1-130 was also approved at the time she got this choice of agent form. She was told that they would not finishing processing the 1-130 until the form & fee were paid/returned. I think you should contact Bureau of Consular Affairs in Washington and try to get a good explanation of this choice of agent form. Its confusing stuff.

According to your post you have file your I-130 petition in State, and you are residing in US.
    BCIS should mail all papers to your US address.
    If you have file your papers from your home country, they should have your address at # 17/18 of I-130.

Bureau of Consular Affairs, do not handled Immigration cases, NVC will mail the package to Bureau of Consular Affairs for onward transmission to the Emabssy in your home country, I hope this is not a DV case.
    How did you file this I-130 on what grounds?Where do you live now, ?
    Its confusing, Why don't you contact NVC and findout.good luck.

sab34 thanks for your answer.

Here's more details:
    I-130 was filed in the U.S. based on a merriage to a USC (only I-130 was filed). Due to some circumstances I had to leave the U.S. and switch to the consular processing (thus filed I-824). We're still married and I-130 is valid as long as the marriage is good. I'm not in the U.S. at this point.

You was visiting got married to US Citien, she file for you, you jumped the ship as long as you are married its ok.

Where is you file now? what is your country?
    Then we might be able to tell you how long it might take.

After approving I-824 (Jan 2004) the California SC forwarded the approved I-130 to NVC. NVC sent me a letter so I assume the approved I-130 is at NVC ready to be forwarded to the U.S. embassy in the country of my present residence (it's not the one that requires that stupid special registration).

I'm just asking the people who's been through the process to post their experiences.

See http://www.us-immigration-visas.com for some free, general information on family-based immigration, and consular processing in particular.

We on the board have nothing to do with any country. Why people ask because they can tell you what to expect from the Embassy/Consulates.

On this board there are many experts and some of them are ex-employees who had worked for Embassy's and Consulates at the visa sections and they keep up with the current laws.

It is not the question of stupid special registration, and the country's involve this is all political games.
    I am not sure what nationality you are. It sounds like rude "Brit"