free information!
Copyright
© 1995-2014
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Marriage over the phone

I am from Pakistan ... applied I-140 & I-485 last year in Feb ... got my finger prints done last May just got my 140 Approved ... seeing wicked delays in 485, thought i could use Advance parole ... asked this question in this board about couple weeks ago but was told not to do it ...
    Problem is i have done my Marriage over the phone few years ago, so when i applied my 485, i wrote my spouses name and submitted marriage certificate (from Pakistan, in English as well as in my Language too) ... i was told by my attorney (He is satisfied and confident) that once i get my green card i can apply her petition and it should be no time that she 'll be here ...
    Some friends of mine say that the American consulate in Pakistan will not consider this marriage (over the phone) as a legal and will not issue an immigrant visa for her ... they suggested i should travel (through advance parole) and get married now (b4 485 is approved) and then American consulate should not have any issues. But, as said earlier, i can 't travel.

I am just confused now and the only thing i want is that when i get the GC (which is taking very long), i do not have any issue in bringing my wife here.

Any tips, anything i can do now or should do now.

Greatly appreciated your suggestions

Some friends told me that i should 'nt have done it (over the phone) as i was waiting for reply on my Labor certification, but ... it was done

I am from Pakistan ... applied I-140 & I-485 last year in Feb ... got my finger prints done last May just got my 140 Approved ... seeing wicked delays in 485, thought i could use Advance parole ... asked this question in this board about couple weeks ago but was told not to do it ...
    Problem is i have done my Marriage over the phone few years ago, so when i applied my 485, i wrote my spouses name and submitted marriage certificate (from Pakistan, in English as well as in my Language too) ... i was told by my attorney (He is satisfied and confident) that once i get my green card i can apply her petition and it should be no time that she 'll be here ...
    Some friends of mine say that the American consulate in Pakistan will not consider this marriage (over the phone) as a legal and will not issue an immigrant visa for her ... they suggested i should travel (through advance parole) and get married now (b4 485 is approved) and then American consulate should not have any issues. But, as said earlier, i can 't travel.

I am just confused now and the only thing i want is that when i get the GC (which is taking very long), i do not have any issue in bringing my wife here.

Any tips, anything i can do now or should do now.

Greatly appreciated your suggestions

Some friends told me that i should 'nt have done it (over the phone) as i was waiting for reply on my Labor certification, but ... it was done

Marriage over the pohone is not considered as genuine marriage by USCIS any longer. May be 20 years back USCIS was not that smart.

Is marriage over the phone the same as a proxy marriage, like prison inmates do? Might be worth looking into.
    Sweet Madame Belu

how is a marriage over the phone consummated? over the phone? if you marry over the phone, will that on 3-way or how? who would declare you married-the phone operator?

The marriage has to have been consummated and both parties have to be physically present. If you search around on the USCIS website, you'll find that somewhere. I'd get the link but I don't have the time right now.
    Have a nice day

a marriage is not valid/complete until its consummated, in the eyes of US laws.

What do you mean the marriage wasnt consumated??? What... you never heard of phone sex....

[This message was edited by 4now on February 27, 2004 at 10:28 AM.]

All the witnesses were there as well as the lawyers, it was done properly (no fraud) and then marriage certificate was sent to me for my signature ... i kept one copy and returned another. The only thing did 'nt happen is that she did 'nt move with me ...
    The only intention i had then was to bring my wife here as soon i get my GC ... and thats all ... now if its not possible could u tell me what can i do to get my wife here rather sooner.

Is there any kind of visa or anything that i could submit for her once i get my GC, which does 'nt take that long.
    Appreciate your reply

Never heard of such case... I don't think its valid ... any overseas marriage should be done in that country according to local customs ...( marriages not done in USA)