publisher - over
50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: AOS... What if my stay expires before it is processed?

Hi Everyone,

I would really appreciate your help. I came to the US on a Tourist Visa from Australia to visit my boyfriend in early May. Almost 1 month ago, we got married! (This was NOT planned)

Anyway, my tourist visa expires in April of 2005. My I-94 Departure/Arrival form says it is valid until November 9th 2004! We are yet to file and as that date draws closer, i am getting worried that my stay will be expired before i get my EAD!

I read somewhere that once i was married, my Tourist Visa is no longer valid. What is my current status then? I am rather confused. I don't want to do anything wrong here...

Can anyone please help??

Thank you so much.

Hi Everyone,

I would really appreciate your help. I came to the US on a Tourist Visa from Australia to visit my boyfriend in early May. Almost 1 month ago, we got married! (This was NOT planned)

Anyway, my tourist visa expires in April of 2005. My I-94 Departure/Arrival form says it is valid until November 9th 2004! We are yet to file and as that date draws closer, i am getting worried that my stay will be expired before i get my EAD!

I read somewhere that once i was married, my Tourist Visa is no longer valid. What is my current status then? I am rather confused. I don't want to do anything wrong here...

Can anyone please help??

Thank you so much.

Once you files for marriage-based AOS, you automatically get temporary status (legal-status) while your application is being processed. Did you file I-485 (AOS)? if yes, then you are cool!

We are yet to file anything! Our service center (Salt Lake) requires me to have my Medical done prior to filing. I go for the second part of my physical on Monday - we are also waiting for our official copy of our wedding license from San Diego (we got married on a cruise!) and without really knowing what we were doing - we got a confidential license and they're still trying to get it to us.

Thank you for your reply!

You should have all these things (medical, wedding license...) completed before November 9th (the expiry date of your I-94)... that's about 7 weeks from now.

Relax, focus on getting these things.. you will get an answer on Monday regarding your medical, and explain your situation for them to speed up your medical papers.

Good Luck