50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
© 1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Question for Sammy

I applied for citizenship last week. One of the question is about enrolling for Slective Services. I was in US between the age of 18 and 26 but had a case pending with INS. I attached the letter saying i was not aware of this mandatory requirement. Also i called Selective services office and they send me a letter saying they sent invitation twice to enroll but i didn't respond as i never received those letters due to address change. Now i want to know what will happen at my interview? Will USCIS deny my application cause i did not enroll or will understand the situation and grant me citizenship. Thanks in advance.

I applied for citizenship last week. One of the question is about enrolling for Slective Services. I was in US between the age of 18 and 26 but had a case pending with INS. I attached the letter saying i was not aware of this mandatory requirement. Also i called Selective services office and they send me a letter saying they sent invitation twice to enroll but i didn't respond as i never received those letters due to address change. Now i want to know what will happen at my interview? Will USCIS deny my application cause i did not enroll or will understand the situation and grant me citizenship. Thanks in advance.

East Hampton [Long Island], New York [USA]
    X2:

If you are now 37 yrs of age then it won't be a problem at all even if you deliberately failed to register with Selective Service.

But if you are now 31 yrs of age and not 37 yet, then it could go either way. If applicant's age is 31 yrs or more but under 37 yrs then, INS must need to have something more about having a bad character in order to deny a naturalization application in addition to his failure in registering with selective service. It is written in the broad law on this subject as per immigration laws.

But if you are not 31 yrs of age now then it would entirely depend upon the adjudication officer. Officer can surely deny your naturalization application, no matter how many tales/truth you have to say on this. Because, immigration laws give the authority to adjudication officer to deny a naturalization application to a person who WILFULLY failed to register with Selective Service. Normally, adjudication officers don't care about this issue when a person submit a notarized affidavit by saying that he was not aware of the obligation of registering with Selective Service and his failure in registering was not willful and intentional.

However, your case is quite troubling because Selective Service has indicated in their letter to you that you were notified two times to register, but they did not hear back from you. This doesn't look good because officer might determine that you deliberately failed to register, especially when Selective Service notified you two times about it. Anything you say now to defend yourself would be interpreted as an attempt to secure citizenship.

Just hope that officer won't be like me because I would deny your case without having any further explanation from you.

"He said that he felt "like the boy that stumped his toe, -˜it hurt too bad to laugh, and he was too big to cry.'"-Abraham Lincoln, former President of the United States, and the US President during Civil War

Thanks Sammy. I will be 36 coming january and we i had no knowledege of this requirement otherwise i would have done it. Anyway i will just tell the truth and then its up to them. Again thanks for your reply, as always keep the good work of giving the true and honest advice to people on this board.