free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: EIN number or ITIN number?...

I have a friend who was given a social security card that's marked "invalid for employment"...She wants to start her own business and wants to pay taxes. Should she apply for an EIN number or those ITIN numbers for non-immigrants?.. thanks

I have a friend who was given a social security card that's marked "invalid for employment"...She wants to start her own business and wants to pay taxes. Should she apply for an EIN number or those ITIN numbers for non-immigrants?.. thanks

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I have a friend who was given a social security card that's marked "invalid for employment </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have a friend who was given a social security card that's marked "invalid for employment

It means they can not work here,talk to the person who filed the initial papers for her intent in america,she just may be visiting

personal1,

Search for information on ITIN number through the Internal Revenue Service site.

Explanation for jfrancus and personal1 - The EIN (Employer Identification Number) is for business not for a person. As far as I know there is nothing illegal about starting a new business in the U.S. even when the prospective business owner doesn't have EAD.

In order to obtain EIN you need to file IRS Form SS-4 and send it by fax (fastest way) and the number should be available next day. Look in the instructions. This number will allow you to open a BUSINESS bank account, that is in the name of business - not your own name and it should be used in billing and preparing tax returns. This number should be obtained regardless of the legal structure of the business. It doesn't matter whether it's a sole proprietorship, partnership or corporation (although it needs to be declared to the IRS). The best way to start this process is to register the TRADE NAME with the state and then send the Form SS-4 to IRS.

Best of luck in new business.

social security card that's marked "invalid for employment"...

What part of invalid for employment do you or your friend not understand

YOu friend is not authorized to work in the united states. This person was approved probably as a student visa f-1 or some other visa that is not allowed to work without authorization.

Verbalist

starting own business is Self employment. Employed by self. not authorized to work in usa.

EIN number must be tied to/referenced to social security number of individual.

YOu can not file an individual 1040 tax return using an Employer identification number (EIN)

Itin NUMBER CAN now only BE OBTAINED when a person files tax return. instructions can be found at irs.gov

Bottom Line.. if your friend starts her own business, she will be thumbing her nose at the immigration laws. Please.. dont you think everyone who comes here on visitor/ student visa wants to work? this is reserved for immigrants or nonimmigrants with special permission.

Provisons such as E1/e2 visa are availble for people tthat wish to invest in a business in this country. it has strict criteria.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by personal1:
    I have a friend who was given a social security card that's marked "invalid for employment"...She wants to start her own business and wants to pay taxes. Should she apply for an EIN number or those ITIN numbers for non-immigrants?.. thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    It depends on what type of business structure your friend wants to be. If it is a single member LLC or a sole proprietorship, then one may not need an EIN. If it is a partnership or multi member LLC, corporation, or S corporation, then a EIN will be required.

As for the ITIN, she will not be eligible since she has a SS card. She would need a work authorizatino to work for an employer. She will also need to check with the state regulations whether she could operate a business license given whether she is a resident of the state or not. You need an attorney who specializes in business organization or contract law for this.
    "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." John Adams on Defense of the boston Massacre

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 4now:
    social security card that's marked "invalid for employment"...

What part of invalid for employment do you or your friend not understand

YOu friend is not authorized to work in the united states. This person was approved probably as a student visa f-1 or some other visa that is not allowed to work without authorization.

Verbalist

starting own business is Self employment. Employed by self. not authorized to work in usa.

EIN number must be tied to/referenced to social security number of individual.

YOu can not file an individual 1040 tax return using an Employer identification number (EIN)

Itin NUMBER CAN now only BE OBTAINED when a person files tax return. instructions can be found at irs.gov

Bottom Line.. if your friend starts her own business, she will be thumbing her nose at the immigration laws. Please.. dont you think everyone who comes here on visitor/ student visa wants to work? this is reserved for immigrants or nonimmigrants with special permission.

Provisons such as E1/e2 visa are availble for people tthat wish to invest in a business in this country. it has strict criteria. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Actually 4now, one does not need an EAD to work independently in the US. It will depend on whether the person is considered a resident of the state in order to file article of incorporation, partnership, or an LLC. And decond, it is not necessary ot have an SSN or ITIN to obtain a EIN in some circumstances. A foreign coroporation which opens a branch office in the US will not get an ITIN, but will get a EIN, as an example. But I know this is not the case with the OP. But still, it depends on whether the OP is considered a resident of that state, which may or not be indicative of their immigration status.
    "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." John Adams on Defense of the boston Massacre

The Precise answer to this posters question. is: She does not need either because she already has a social security number. If person is going to have employees working in the business , only then will they need to get an EIN to report wages. Legally your friend cannot do either as her social security card is not valid for working in usa, unless special permission or other authorized document accompanying the ss card that would allow authorization to work.

[quote]It is not neccesary to obtain EIN in some circumstances. A foreign coroporation which opens a branch office in the US will not get an ITIN, but will get a EIN, as an example. But I know this is not the case with the OP.[quote]

Eaxctly Hudsom, and you know I know all this that you stated. so why would I try to make it complicated or confusing for the poster withh rhetoric that does not eeven pertain to them It is not my style... and you know that ITIN is reserved for individuals not corporations. so it was not relative to this thread.

Hudson. anybody can work illegally wheter it is with a company or starting their own business as self employment. can they do it legally.... NO is the answer. will they do it anyway? YES! We can tell poster how to form this and that to get set up in company blah blah as verbalist offered some advices... but bottom line is this person's visa has not been approved for working in the usa in any capacity.

[quote]
    <span class="ev_code_RED">Actually 4now, one does not need an EAD to work independently in the US</span>[quote]

hmmmm Last I checked it was illegal to work in usa without authorization... self employment is employment. I will learn something new today and stand corrected if you show me that is ok with uscis.. so when the f-1 student goes before the judge and tells him.. no sir i wasnt working illegally.. I was working for myself.. and judge is going to say to him.. oh im so sorry to have detained u .. thats ok and thats no problem. yea right

So show me...im waiting

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 4now:
    The Precise answer to this posters question. is: She does not need either because she already has a social security number. If person is going to have employees working in the business , only then will they need to get an EIN to report wages. Legally your friend cannot do either as her social security card is not valid for working in usa, unless special permission or other authorized document accompanying the ss card that would allow authorization to work.

[quote]It is not neccesary to obtain EIN in some circumstances. A foreign coroporation which opens a branch office in the US will not get an ITIN, but will get a EIN, as an example. But I know this is not the case with the OP.[quote]

Eaxctly Hudsom, and you know I know all this that you stated. so why would I try to make it complicated or confusing for the poster withh rhetoric that does not eeven pertain to them It is not my style... and you know that ITIN is reserved for individuals not corporations. so it was not relative to this thread.

Hudson. anybody can work illegally wheter it is with a company or starting their own business as self employment. can they do it legally.... NO is the answer. will they do it anyway? YES! We can tell poster how to form this and that to get set up in company blah blah as verbalist offered some advices... but bottom line is this person's visa has not been approved for working in the usa in any capacity.

[quote]
    <span class="ev_code_RED">Actually 4now, one does not need an EAD to work independently in the US</span>[quote]

hmmmm Last I checked it was illegal to work in usa without authorization... self employment is employment. I will learn something new today and stand corrected if you show me that is ok with uscis.. so when the f-1 student goes before the judge and tells him.. no sir i wasnt working illegally.. I was working for myself.. and judge is going to say to him.. oh im so sorry to have detained u .. thats ok and thats no problem. yea right

So show me...im waiting

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    The is not just who does and does not work illegally, the issue is what type of work, dependent or independent personal services, comply with the employment authorization document. When you read 1324a, it refers "work" to employment; that is dependent personal services. And with independent personal services, US immigration code does not provide any specifics one way or the other. To complicate matters, length of stay and the type of visa may dictate if someone can work independently. For instance, a professional gambler from Monte Carlo comes to the US and participates in a gaming tournament. A professional gambler comes on a B2 visa. The gambler wins some earnings. Did the gambler violate work authorization?

Or how about an individual from Europe who speaks at conventions. The person comes on a B2 visa, speaks at several events, gets paid for those services, and then returns home. When the person went to the embassy to obtain the visa, he tells the foreign service officer of the intentions and still obtains the visa.

A person comes to the US on a H1b visa. The spouse is on the H4. While in the US, the person on the H1b buys some houses and rents them. The person then forms a partnership for the rental activity and puts the spouse as a partner. Both spouses receive partnership income subject to self employment tax. When the H1b adjusts for the green card, everything goes smoothly.

A person comes to the US and forms an LLC. That person then elects for the LLC to become a corporation. As an officer of that corporation, the business unit must pay wages to its officers and/or employees. The person files with the corporation a form electing for effectively connected income per the tax treaty with the country the individual resides in. That means a W2 will be issued for said wages with an ITIN number on it. The person eventually comes on a EB-5 visa. USCIS adjusts such status without any problems or references to the forming of the corporation.

An individaul comes on a F visa. That person invests #8000 in the stock market. The person begins day trading and makes the proper election with IRS. Thus, any income and expenses will go on the Sch C of form 1040. Sales of such securities go on the form 4797. When the F visa holder adjusts to H1b, USCIS allows the adjustment.

In each scenario, a person receives compensation, but does not need a employment authorization document because such work does not violate 1324a. Self employment income, or independent personal services, is not exactly defined with immigration code. What immigration do concentrate on is dependent personal services because that tends to displace American workers more than independent personal services.