50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: US Citizen needs help! Please

I am a US Citizen and have married my girlfriend. Her work visa expired in 1998. We need to know what INS forms we need to fill out. I have spoken with several Lawyers in my area and we just cannot afford them. We are going to file on our own and do not know where to begin. Any help would be greatly appreciated. From a look at the other postings this one should be easy! Thanks

I am a US Citizen and have married my girlfriend. Her work visa expired in 1998. We need to know what INS forms we need to fill out. I have spoken with several Lawyers in my area and we just cannot afford them. We are going to file on our own and do not know where to begin. Any help would be greatly appreciated. From a look at the other postings this one should be easy! Thanks

as long as her work visa wasn't a J-1, you guys could file the following:

1) I-130 (Petition for Alien Relative)
    2) I-485 (Adjustment Status)
    3) I-765 (Employment Authorization)
    4) I-864 (Affidavit of Support)
    5) G-325A (Biographical Info)

Haven't been here for a while and am kind of rusty. But I believe I got things right unless someone else has other opinions.

Good luck.

Even if it`s a J-1 you can get a waiver from her for the 2-year requirement from her home country`s consulate. You have good chances... Good luck!

Here is my 2 cents reply based on my experience.

As long as you have all the proper application forms and fees and that your spouse is not a J-1 visa holder or not an out of staus. You don't have to worry of finding a lawyer to file in your behalf. All you have to do is fill up all the necessary application forms that you have requested from INS, with proper fees and other requirements send it to the proper INS office covering your area of residence. But remember when you send all those documnet make it registered with return receipt, so that you have your access if lose or send in the wrong direction. Once the INS received it they will send you notice that they received all those forms.They will also give you a case number, in the event that you want to follow your papers, you just state your case number and the INS will easily access your file with that number. So, worry not on attorneys fees.

Immigration lawyers have no authority over INS or embassies, except they help you informed of what to do and what to say.

GOOD LUCK

Doesn't even matter if she is out of status. She got married, if you file that overstay will be pardonned.

What kind of visa did she have?

Simon is right about the J1 visa, it's harder to stay here and ask for the waiver.
    Here is all the info on the waiver for the J visa:

http://www.ins.usdoj.gov/graphics/howdoi/exchvisit.htm

Hi, I am now became a U.S. citizen. I already have my Certificate of Naturalization. We went to the Oath ceremony on September 12, 2006. What's next? But, right now, I don't have a (non-driver) Pennsylvania ID card yet. So, I need to have one. Please tell me How long did I will get a new Pennsylvania ID card (non-driver). And I forgot I was can't tell him from my apppointment officer. Because I'm deaf-mute. It's was just waiting for a long time. That's bad new...My mom said, " WAIT " to me....Never mind

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Naturalization:
    Hi, I am now became a U.S. citizen. I already have my Certificate of Naturalization. We went to the Oath ceremony on September 12, 2006. What's next? But, right now, I don't have a (non-driver) Pennsylvania ID card yet. So, I need to have one. Please tell me How long did I will get a new Pennsylvania ID card (non-driver). And I forgot I was can't tell him from my apppointment officer. Because I'm deaf-mute. It's was just waiting for a long time. That's bad new...My mom said, " WAIT " to me....Never mind </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Your certificate of Naturalisation is proof of your US citizenship. You can now apply for a Pennsy ID and a US passport. Congratulations!
    The above is simply an opinion. Your mileage may vary. For immigration issues, please consult an immigration attorney.