50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: sponsor

I was wondering if there is anyone out there who can answer a few questions for me. I just got married to a non-US citizen and I am trying to apply for a greencard for him. One of the forms refer to a "sponsor" and I'm confused as to what exactly would qualify a person as a sponsor. Can I, as his wife be a sponsor or do I need to find an outside source? I would appreciate any feedback on the topic. Thank you!

I was wondering if there is anyone out there who can answer a few questions for me. I just got married to a non-US citizen and I am trying to apply for a greencard for him. One of the forms refer to a "sponsor" and I'm confused as to what exactly would qualify a person as a sponsor. Can I, as his wife be a sponsor or do I need to find an outside source? I would appreciate any feedback on the topic. Thank you!

You are his sponsor, if the petition is marriage-based (which is the case, here). I suggest you read up on the process at http://www.uscis.gov, look under FAQ->Family.
    The above is simply an opinion. Your mileage may vary. For immigration issues, please consult an immigration attorney.

Thank you for your advice and I will definitely check that website out within the next five minutes! I purchased a "Greencard Through Marriage" booklet with forms and instructions but there is so much information and I'm finding it very confusing. I just want to make sure that I would make a sufficient sponsor and that we wouldn't need any outside help. Thank you again for your time .

In the future, you can probably do most of your research on the internet. The USCIS web site offers all forms for free with plenty of instructional information. Publications that one purchases are often out of date and really don't give any information that could not be garnered from the USCIS or other immigration web sites.

If it's just you and your husband, you'd need an income of $16,037.