free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ten years card question

I've been married for six years to a US citizen, we have one child, a daughter. I have my ten years card for two years now, it expires 2017. I wanted to ask: if such a couple falls out, and divorces, is it possible for a US spouse to deport the foreign ex? For example, to write to somewhere and say that the marriage was not real or something like this? Please, help.

I've been married for six years to a US citizen, we have one child, a daughter. I have my ten years card for two years now, it expires 2017. I wanted to ask: if such a couple falls out, and divorces, is it possible for a US spouse to deport the foreign ex? For example, to write to somewhere and say that the marriage was not real or something like this? Please, help.

Hi Here,

Welcome. It is possible for a spouse to try and convince USCIS the marriage wasn't real, but they would also be incriminating themselves. By receiving the permanent residence card, you and your spouse have already proven to USCIS your marriage was legitimate. So, I would say your green card status is not in jeopardy.

Maybe others will jump in if I am wrong. Good luck!

I am just worried, and I think that it's somehow possible, I head about such a case, but I do not know if it's true. I was told it's something new in legislation.

He or she will need alot of proof to show you entered the marriage fraudulently at this point. You have the permanent residence card based on marriage to her or him, correct? Then you guys had to prove the marriage was real before receiving the card.

As long as you have remained in good status with no criminal activity, you should be okay. Why do you suspect he or she will try to do this?

Unless you had lied in your application for PR (old crime not reported etc) or you had a trial separation before approval of the I-751 (if you did that) or anything that might cast doubt on the validity of your marriage (with substantial proof) prior to getting the 10 yr card, then there's really nothing the USC spouse can do. As Proud said it would implicate them too.

Depending on when you got your original PR card, you will be eligible for Citizenship in either 3yrs if still married to the USC or 5yrs if not.
    "What you see in the photograph isn't what you saw at the time. The real skill of photography is organized visual lying."

thank you for help, you are very helpful. About why - it's rather
    private. But I heard about this person, they came to the US on a
    fiance visa. The spouse fixed their papers several times when
    applying for the first two years card - "forgot" to send this or
    that. So, the non-US spouse received the first card after four
    years... but for ten years. They had a child, lived together, then
    the US spouse managed somehow to deport the non-US via divorce, mainly due to financial considerations, plus malice. I know these persons, so it's somehow possible, then? I tried looking on-line, but it gives me only cases of people who overstayed when I look up "deportation" or whose cases where refuse, when I couple it with "green card" and "ten years" the search engine ignores absolutely. I want to know how it's done. I gathered, too, that it was not that difficult.

Please see Brit's reply as he expounded on what I already told you. If everything in your case was on the up and up from the start, you should be okay.

What had happened to that couple most likely was they failed to marry within the 90 day time-frame as required by law on the K1 visa and/or never filed AoS until very late. Either case would likely be an automatic denial.

I highly doubt it had anything to do with the USC doing or saying anything to the USCIS.

Did you file I-751 or were you already married and lived outside the US for a few years before coming over here?
    "What you see in the photograph isn't what you saw at the time. The real skill of photography is organized visual lying."