free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Applied for permanent resident

One of my friend came to the United States almost 18 years ago. He came to the USA on the ship but didn't go back. He filed for political asylum. He didn't know what to do at that time because he filed the political asylum with the different name and date of birth because he didn't know if he had to give his original name because of shipping company wanted him to leave the states and go back to his country. So in that confusion, he gave immigration different name and date of birth that he does not even remember what he gave them because that was many years ago.

Now he is back in his country and left few years ago. He got married to US citizen in his original name and want to apply for permanent residency but want to know if he will have to face any problem since he filed almost 18 years ago for that political asylum which was not under his actual name and he doesn't remember even what he gave them. He already filed for his permanent status but wants to make sure that if he is not going to have any problem because he didn't mention anything in his application since he doesn't remember about his past case.Any advise would be really appreciated thanks a lot.

One of my friend came to the United States almost 18 years ago. He came to the USA on the ship but didn't go back. He filed for political asylum. He didn't know what to do at that time because he filed the political asylum with the different name and date of birth because he didn't know if he had to give his original name because of shipping company wanted him to leave the states and go back to his country. So in that confusion, he gave immigration different name and date of birth that he does not even remember what he gave them because that was many years ago.

Now he is back in his country and left few years ago. He got married to US citizen in his original name and want to apply for permanent residency but want to know if he will have to face any problem since he filed almost 18 years ago for that political asylum which was not under his actual name and he doesn't remember even what he gave them. He already filed for his permanent status but wants to make sure that if he is not going to have any problem because he didn't mention anything in his application since he doesn't remember about his past case.Any advise would be really appreciated thanks a lot.
    Henry

Doesn't matter what name he gave. His fingerprints (and probably picture) are on file.

I do not know though if filing for asylum and then changing your mind and going home is grounds for denial of a visa. So he still may be safe.

-= nav =-

I would think that filing for asylum and then going home would raise questions, wouldn't you? If they match fingerprints to two different names that will be problems...

When he applied for asylum, he was called for interview, he never went and then he left the country.He was advised at that time, if didn't show up in the court, his asylum case would be terminated.We are talking here almost 18 years ago. If they have to match his finger prints since it was so many years ago how is it going to be possible? It still doesn't give me any idea what is going to happen to his case. Thanks
    Henry

I guess nobody has any advise about this case what is going to happen.Please help me out here to give any best idea what to do in this case. Thanks
    Henry

Here's what the law says: http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi_waivers.html

Section 212(a)(6)(C)(i)

" ... (C) Misrepresentation.-

(i) In general.-Any alien who, by fraud or *willfully misrepresenting a material fact*, seeks to procure (or has sought to procure or has procured) a visa, other documentation, or admission into the United States or other benefit provided under this Act is inadmissible. ... "

When filed for asylum under a different name and birthday he was "willfully misrepresenting a material fact" to "procure ... benefit provided under this Act ... " which makes him inadmissible. How long ago the asylum application was filed makes no difference. CIS still has his prints of file, will find out about the filing and most likely will deny adjustment of status application (I-485).

Cheers.

Sup I don't think you have enough knowledge of immigartion cases and I don't agree to your answer to some extent.I am looking for reall professional answer here not people like you who don't know anything just give people negative advise. Thanks
    Henry

Henry,
    My answer is as professional as it can get without personal insults or misleading information that you'd rather hear. Sooner or later the immigration law violators face their past. When his application for adjustment of status is denied you'll know if I " .. have enough knowledge of immigartion cases ... ". (original spelling)

Cheers.

Henry, most people that post on this board are not "professionals". Every now and then an immi attorney or paralegal will post responses but a lot of people on this board are people who post answers based on their experiences or they post links to things that should help. Being rude to them doesn't say much about your appreciation for them taking the time to try to help you. For the record, Sup is not one of the ones on this board who just answer so that he/she can give the op a hard time. I'm not sure how far back they can check fingerprints, since computer systems weren't so advanced back then. If they can compare them then how can the law that he posted NOT come into play? Maybe Mohan or someone who has experience in this particular type of "problem" will respond. I wish him good luck.