free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: applying for certificate of citizenship

my father became a citizen in 2001, and then he applied a passport for him and ME,(I was under age of 18) and I got my passport. and now, I tried to apply for my certificate, but got rejected b/c my parents were divorced after I received my passport, and immigration officer said that I don't have physical custody with my father, my mother(green cardholder) did. my question is am I a citizen? (I still have my green card) now do I have to apply for citizenship on my own?

my father became a citizen in 2001, and then he applied a passport for him and ME,(I was under age of 18) and I got my passport. and now, I tried to apply for my certificate, but got rejected b/c my parents were divorced after I received my passport, and immigration officer said that I don't have physical custody with my father, my mother(green cardholder) did. my question is am I a citizen? (I still have my green card) now do I have to apply for citizenship on my own?

IS Citizenship revoked retroactively , because Naturalized parent through whom you got your Citizenship as a minor divorced and lost your custody to one who isn't USC?
    Or were you originally granted USC Passport without claim of Citizenship?

I don't know the governing statute in your case, but it sounds counter-logical.

I'm just not sure if I am a citizen now b/c I'm holding a us passport, what I don't have is the certificate of citizenship

usually people got their certificate first then apply for ur passport, but according to the child act I should be a citizen automaticly when my father became a citizen when I'm still under 18 right?

I don't know , but I know that getting an answer to your question takes either:

1) Reading all the relevant Statutes (searching, reading and analysing takes from 15 min up to an hour, sometimes two, depending how complex are the governing regulations/eastablished case precedents and etc.)

2) Consulting with professional immigration attorney (takes no time, but will cost you somewhere from zero [if you get free first consultation] up to $150-$300 for half an hour or one hour consultation.

Good luck,

IE

usually people got their certificate first then apply for ur passport, but according to the child act I should be a citizen automaticly when my father became a citizen when I'm still under 18 right?
    The effective date of the Child Citizenship Act is February 27, 2001. Children who met these requirements on that date automatically became American citizens. Children who were 18 years of age or older on that date did not acquire American citizenship from the Child Citizenship Act of 2000.

Must the Child Get a Certificate of Citizenship?

You do not have to apply for a certificate of citizenship for your child.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigra...es_1312.html#1

There you go

SEC. 321CHILD BORN OUTSIDE OF THE UNITED STATES OF ALIEN PARENT: CONDITIONS UNDER WHICH CITIZENSHIP AUTOMATICALLY ACQUIRED.
    SEC. 321.{8.U.S.C. 1432}(a) A child born outside of the United States of alien parnts, or of an alien parent and a citizen parent who has subsequently lost citizenship of the United states, becomes acitizen of the United States upon fulfillment of the following conditions.
    (1) The naturalization of both parents; or
    (2) The naturalization of surviving parent if one of the parents is deceased; or
    (3) The naturalization of the parent having legal custody of the child when there has been alegal separation of the parents.
    (4) Such natura;ization takes place while the such child is underthe age of 18 years; and
    (5) Such child is residing in the United States pursuant to a lawful admission for permanent residence at the time of naturalization of the parent last naturalized under clause(2) or (3) of this subsection, or thereafter begons to reside permanently in the United States while the child is under the age of 18 years.
    CHILD BORN OUTSIDE THE UNITED STATES.APPLICATION FOR CERTIFICATE OF CITIZENSHIP REQUIREMENTS.

SEC.322. (a) A person who is a citizen of the United states may apply to the Attorney General for a certificate of citizenship on behalf of a child born outside the United States. The Attorney General shall issue such certificate of citizenship upon proof to the satisfaction of the Attorney General that the following conditions have been fulfilled:
    (1) At least one parent is a citizen of the United States, whether by birth or naturalization.
    (2)The child is physically present in the United states pursuant to a lawful admission.
    (3) The child is under the age of 18 years and in the legal cusody of the citizen parent.
    You have received your citizenship by Collective Naturalization.

Hope you understand how you became the US Citizen.

but when I applied for N600, then I went for interview, she said that according to my parents divorce paper, my mother has the legal custody when I was under age, is that meant my citizenship is being revoked?