50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What options do I have? Please help!

I came to US in 2001 on a F-1 visa. I transfered from the university I was granted visa to a another university after completing about 3 semesters. I didn't let the INS know about this. I was under the impression the new university would do this. I wasn't granted a new I-20 as I wasn't in the SEVIS system. Anyways, my visa ran out in 2006 and I have now overstayed for about 2 years. I finished my master's this May with couple of academic awards and a scholarship from my university. I also have received numerous sports awards and made it to US national cricket team. I couldn't represent the team because of my status. I have letter from US national cricket team coach to prove this.
    Few weeks ago, due to a traffic violation, I was pulled over and after checking my status I was handed over to the ICE by local police. I was released on a $5000 bond. Right now am waiting for a NTA before an immigration judge.
    Can anyone tell me what my options are? I have scheduled a meeting with a lawyer for this Thursday.
    After doing some research online, I found out that Atlanta's immigration judges are one of the toughest around the nation. That scares the hell out of me.

I came to US in 2001 on a F-1 visa. I transfered from the university I was granted visa to a another university after completing about 3 semesters. I didn't let the INS know about this. I was under the impression the new university would do this. I wasn't granted a new I-20 as I wasn't in the SEVIS system. Anyways, my visa ran out in 2006 and I have now overstayed for about 2 years. I finished my master's this May with couple of academic awards and a scholarship from my university. I also have received numerous sports awards and made it to US national cricket team. I couldn't represent the team because of my status. I have letter from US national cricket team coach to prove this.
    Few weeks ago, due to a traffic violation, I was pulled over and after checking my status I was handed over to the ICE by local police. I was released on a $5000 bond. Right now am waiting for a NTA before an immigration judge.
    Can anyone tell me what my options are? I have scheduled a meeting with a lawyer for this Thursday.
    After doing some research online, I found out that Atlanta's immigration judges are one of the toughest around the nation. That scares the hell out of me.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 10duk:
    After doing some research online, I found out that Atlanta's immigration judges are one of the toughest around the nation. That scares the hell out of me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

SAMMY? 4now? Tis the season!
    USC and Legal, Honest Immigrant Alike Must Fight Against Those That Deceive and Disrupt A Place Of Desirability! All Are Victims of Fraud, Both USC and Honest Immigrant Alike! The bad can and does make it more difficult for the good! Be careful who y

They Never Listen Or Respect the Rules!!! Always Games!!!
    This Poster Showed Too Much Knowledge!!! Not Enough Ignorance!
    Smart Enough To Have Known What Was Necessary Procedure!!! Ignored It!!!
    USC and Legal, Honest Immigrant Alike Must Fight Against Those That Deceive and Disrupt A Place Of Desirability! All Are Victims of Fraud, Both USC and Honest Immigrant Alike! The bad can and does make it more difficult for the good! Be careful who y

Hi 10duk; sorry to hear about your arrest. Can you please answer the following question Thanks.

Can you please tell me how did they check yours visa status? Did they called ICE or your information shows at the police officer computer right way on the spot?

How many days did the ICE kept you in the prison? Did you pay the $5000.00 yourself by check or somebody from outside paid the bond on yourself?

Someone12
    yet another visa cheat whining about our laws and looking for some loophole....LEAVE MY COUNTRY, dirtbag....your options are simple...buy an airline ticket back to your country and leave....just like you told our consular officials when you applied for your visa...remember those lies????? Now live up to them. No one feels sorry for you....you are a lying scam artist, and who gives a rat's behind about cricket??? Baseball, football, basketball....those are American sports....cricket is a game for poofters.

I am delighted that finally ICE has got its act together and doing its job.
    If Democrats Had Any Brains, They'd Be Republicans

Democrats - Brave enough to KILL our unborn, just NOT our ENEMIES!

10duk: I agree with Someone12. As an F-1 foreign student, you understood what the rules were regarding your stay in America...and you knowingly broke those rules. Quite honestly, the university or universities to which you transferred also knowingly broke the rules.

I would venture that you also illegally received a scholarship to which you were NOT entitled...and which should have gone to a needy American student.

I remind you that, when you initially received your F-1 visa, you promised the American Consulate that you would return to your country of origin once your visa expired. Well, your visa expired a little more than one year after your arrival in America...and you're still here. Perhaps it's time to finally have some honor and return to your own country.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 10duk:
    After doing some research online, I found out that Atlanta's immigration judges are one of the toughest around the nation. That scares the hell out of me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    10Duk,
    My advice for you is to hire a really good immigration attorney before the NTA summons you to a court appearance.

What happened is that you were caught between the old and new system. Even thought you technically violated the terms, you may have extenuating circumstances.
    "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." John Adams on Defense of the boston Massacre

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SunDevilUSA:
    10duk: I agree with Someone12. As an F-1 foreign student, you understood what the rules were regarding your stay in America...and you knowingly broke those rules. Quite honestly, the university or universities to which you transferred also knowingly broke the rules.

I would venture that you also illegally received a scholarship to which you were NOT entitled...and which should have gone to a needy American student.

I remind you that, when you initially received your F-1 visa, you promised the American Consulate that you would return to your country of origin once your visa expired. Well, your visa expired a little more than one year after your arrival in America...and you're still here. Perhaps it's time to finally have some honor and return to your own country. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Actually SunDevil, citizenship or immigration status is not required for scholarships or fellowships because most come from private foundations. He did not receive federal grant or federal subsidized loans. And even with athletic scholarships, citizenship status is also not required in most circumstances.

As for his visa conditions, some universities do the paper work for the international student to make sure that student does not fall out of status while some universities require the international student to do everything. And the university is required to place the student into SERVIS. If the primary fault came from the university, the student should not be made to suffer the mistakes of others.
    "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." John Adams on Defense of the boston Massacre