publisher - over
50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
© 1995-2014
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: How long a greeen Card Holder can stay out of usa.

I AM GREEN CARD HOLDER. 1ST TIME TRAVEL OUT OF USA AND CAME BACK AFTER 10 MONTHS.
    AGAIN I NEED TO TRAVEL OUT OF USA THE REASON IS THAT TO GET A JOB IS VERY DIFFICULT OVER HERE BACK TO HOME COUNTRY JOB IS AVAILABLE WITH EX- EMPLOYER. CAN I MAKE A VISIT HERE AND STAY A COUPLE OF WEEKS EVERY YEAR TO RETAIN MY GREEN CARD.
    I NEED ADVISE ON THIS ISSUE. WITH THANKS.

I AM GREEN CARD HOLDER. 1ST TIME TRAVEL OUT OF USA AND CAME BACK AFTER 10 MONTHS.
    AGAIN I NEED TO TRAVEL OUT OF USA THE REASON IS THAT TO GET A JOB IS VERY DIFFICULT OVER HERE BACK TO HOME COUNTRY JOB IS AVAILABLE WITH EX- EMPLOYER. CAN I MAKE A VISIT HERE AND STAY A COUPLE OF WEEKS EVERY YEAR TO RETAIN MY GREEN CARD.
    I NEED ADVISE ON THIS ISSUE. WITH THANKS.

This is one of those enduring immigration myths, that of being able to travel back here for 2 weeks every year and then leave again. Often called "renewing my GC" of something similar. It doesn't exist.

As a GC holder you are allowed to leave and be able to re-enter the country for up to 12 months. Beyond 6 months out, you may have to satisfy the POE officer that you have enough ties here or else they may parole you in and you would have to go to an Immigration Judge to decide if you still qualify as a GC holder.

You can apply for a re-entry permit which allows 2yrs out of the country instead of 12 months providing you can still show ties to the US.

If you continue to leave and re-enter as you have been doing you can expect the POE to eventually question your ties to this country. Depending how long you have been a GC holder, you might want to look at getting US Citizenship. If you qualify I'd do that ASAP. That way you won't have to worry about loosing GC status by being out of the country for too long. You cannot be denied entry as a USC.
    "What you see in the photograph isn't what you saw at the time. The real skill of photography is organized visual lying."

Wow, Brit has learned alot from me.

Might I had that the legal term is unreliqueshed residency.

If Davies is asking about himself, going by his last threads here, Aug 2009 he was waiting for his visa still to be issued (admin delay).

That was a year ago. He says he has been away 10 months since then and wants to go home again.

GC through Brother, so Citizenship would be 5 yrs from GC date, but most likely more, considering he hasn't really been in the US since he came here.

I don't know..but I wouldn't be surprised if POE questions him. What do you think Fed and Brit?
    In the short time he spent in US, could there actually be solid ties already made, enough to satisfy POE?

Davies, to keep ties to the US, make sure you maintain some of these, if not all, if applicable:

1. File U.S. tax returns.

2. Maintain a U.S. address (either actual or in care of a relative in the U.S. Merely having a P.O. Box does not show you have a residence in the U.S.)

3. Make sure you enter the U.S. at least once a year, although the more often you enter and stay in the U.S., the better it is for you.

4. Maintain a valid U.S. driver’s license.

5. Keep U.S. stocks and bonds.

6. Continue to use U.S. credit cards.

7. Continue any club memberships in the U.S.

8. In any correspondence, make reference to your temporary assignment abroad.

9. Maintain bank account in the U.S.

Here is some more tips and info about GC holders and keeping it:

Retaining GC
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    God Bless America - God Bless Immigrants - God Bless Poor Misguided Souls Too

National Domestic Violence Hotline:
    1.800.799.SAFE (7233) 1.800.787.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">GC through Brother, so Citizenship would be 5 yrs from GC date, but most likely more, considering he hasn't really been in the US since he came here.

I don't know..but I wouldn't be surprised if POE questions him. What do you think Fed and Brit? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's a good point. To obtain Citizenship he would have to be present continuously in the US for 30 months out of the 5yr qualifying period. Probably gonna be difficult to do if he keeps popping in and out of the US for a couple of weeks at a time.
    "What you see in the photograph isn't what you saw at the time. The real skill of photography is organized visual lying."

Holding a DL or credit card does not prove unrelinquished residence. All of those can be held by non-residents. Only proof of physical presence counts. Sprint girl only knows what fraudsters used to try and get around the law.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by davies:
    I NEED ADVISE ON THIS ISSUE. WITH THANKS. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Look up the requirements. I think you shouldn't be out of US for more than 6 months (unless applied and granted permission or work for US company etc) and there is also certainm period of time you must stay in US to keep your status.

If you want to stay out of US yet maintain ability to return at will then the most rational way is to qualify for and obtain a Citizenship , that way there is no limit to time you can spend out of US and it's possible to return at any time in future unless you specifically renounce your Citizenship or stripped out of it for certain violations.

You should just google for travel and maintenance of LPR status.

Good luck.
    http://www.anbsoft.com/images/usflag_med.jpg

"...I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should 'make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibit