50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Working students

Would you please inform me if the students from abroad studying in USA can work in USA part-time while studying? If the answer is "yes", where can I find the relevant information on the law provisions, the procedure and so on?

Would you please inform me if the students from abroad studying in USA can work in USA part-time while studying? If the answer is "yes", where can I find the relevant information on the law provisions, the procedure and so on?

You can work as a student, but it's limited as to how much you can work and if you can even work off campus.

Here is INS sites that will be helpful for you:

http://www.ins.gov/graphics/howdoi/academic.htm

Here is the actual law:

http://www.ins.gov/lpBin/lpext.dll/i...b-8cfrsec2142f

It will tell you about employment off and on campus.

It's about half way down the page

Go to your international student office. They will guide through the process.

This applies to students in F-1 status, and may apply to students in J-1 status in certain cases. F-2 can not work.

You can work on campus: 20hrs per week during fall & winter semesters. During Spring & Summer semesters + when school is not in session (ex. spring break) you can work as much as you like.

Off-campus: CPT/COOP you can work off campus through a class, you will need authorization from your foreign student advisor. No special authorization directly from INS required.

OPT: usually, students do this upon completion of their program. It is a one year work card. You can work anywhere you want, and have more than one job at the same time if you wish. You need to apply through your foreign student office, and send form I-765 + a few others to INS. Right now, it takes about 90 days after you apply to receive the EAD. NOTE: If you work more than 12 months full-time in CPT/COOP, you lose your OPT.

Thanks, guys!

They are right on. Check with your International Student Office. One more thing, you will be limited to what field you can work in. In other words, if you were to work off campus, you must work in field that is relative to your degree.

For Example: Say you are a violinist. You can play in local, paid orchestras, festivals, and teach. But not work at Jack in the Box.

Or say a Biology Major could work in a research center

Best of luck!

Vet students and vet's office

Engineers...with a company that is relevant to your specialty.

As I mentioned in a previous post, I have created an online group, where the main topic is international students in USA...immigration and other issues. If anyone is interested, you are all welcome to join by going to: http://groups.msn.com/InternationalStudentUSA