publisher - over
50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Naturalized UK citizen did not go for special registration: Problem???

Hi:

My brother in law is a naturalized British citizen (born in a country citizens/nationals from which needed to register last year). He never had a passport from the country he was born (leftat age of 3/4 with parents to UK). He is on H1B. He thought he need not go for special registration and he did not register. Meanwhile he got his fingerprinting for GC, got EAD extended once etc. INS never raised any question. Yesterday, he received a letter from INS stating him to prove that he did register or his case may be denied. Could anyone provide any idea what he should do now? Also, was he really supposed to go for registration (INS did not define who falls under the catefory "national").

Thanks.

Hi:

My brother in law is a naturalized British citizen (born in a country citizens/nationals from which needed to register last year). He never had a passport from the country he was born (leftat age of 3/4 with parents to UK). He is on H1B. He thought he need not go for special registration and he did not register. Meanwhile he got his fingerprinting for GC, got EAD extended once etc. INS never raised any question. Yesterday, he received a letter from INS stating him to prove that he did register or his case may be denied. Could anyone provide any idea what he should do now? Also, was he really supposed to go for registration (INS did not define who falls under the catefory "national").

Thanks.

whats up tomhu? i am in a similar situation right now. i never registered neither. my wife just filed for me, so its gonna be a while for me to receive that letter. by the way... where in the u.s. are you? i am in ny. so what you gonna do now? and you got a lawyer??

take care

He should inform INS that he is not a citizen/national of those countires which were required to register. They might have noticed his place of birth and wrote that letter. He should be ok if he is holding a British Passport to prove his nationality.

if that was the case tak, i would have not to fear, but unfortunatly it is not like that. Certain people who were born in certain countries had to register, even if you changed nationality, if you were BORN in an arab countrie, you had to register. trust me...i am in the same situation.

Tomhu: you should truthfully say what you did or didn't; if you didn't register, say that you didn't and state because you're a British citizen (for a long time) and, if you indeed have no passport or other papers of that country, were never formally a citizen and/or hold no affiliations to the country which is required to register.

You need to get some information on the citizenship laws of the UK as well as your birth nation. In any case, in my opinion, you should be able to contest any claims by BCIS that you should be denied AOS based on this registeration madness. It's a blatant rassistic and discrimanatory requirement and the entire registration process has been halted by a federal court based on this decision.

Radda; you're in a slightly different boat. Do you have another citizenship of a non-required country for a long time as the first poster? But for you too, since the entire registration process is halted, you can contest the legallity of being administratively denied for an illegal requirement. Get a good lawyer!

yes pandora, i do. i moved to holland when i was about 5 years old. and i do hold the dutch citizenship. plus i havent been to my country of birth for like 15 years.

i hope they will somehow drop the whole special registration thing totally. or give us a fine or another chance to register.