50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Reunification with my son

My son, who is a minor, is currently in the States and already applied for his permanent residence together with his dad. He came to the States to make it easier and sooner to be with me in Canada. I already included him in my application for permanent residence in Canada.
    He is worried if he comes to Canada before his process is done he will never be allowed to reenter the States to see his dad.
    Please, can anyone tell me what we should do?
    He really wants to live with me and be together.
    We have been 15 months without seing each other.

My son, who is a minor, is currently in the States and already applied for his permanent residence together with his dad. He came to the States to make it easier and sooner to be with me in Canada. I already included him in my application for permanent residence in Canada.
    He is worried if he comes to Canada before his process is done he will never be allowed to reenter the States to see his dad.
    Please, can anyone tell me what we should do?
    He really wants to live with me and be together.
    We have been 15 months without seing each other.

Are you divorced from your husband? If not, he can add you to his petition for residency. (I'm not a lawyer.) If you are divorced, your son will not be able to live with you and retain his green card. Visits are the only option left. If he gets Canadian residency, he shouldn't have any problem visiting the U.S. Also, there is no way he can sponsor you to live with him in the U.S. until he becomes a citizen.

If he really wants to live with you, it will have to be in Canada, and he'll have to give up the green card.

If you are divorced - what is your custody agreement? You son will not be denied access to visitation with both parents. Custody agreements and maintenance agreements are followed between US and Canada. Key is - he can either be a resident of US and visit his mother or a resident of US and visit his father. You need a Canadian court order and and/or an American court order. See your divorce lawyer and then an immigration lawyer. Where are you in Canada - I know a really good immigration lawyer in Calgary.

I'm divorced from his dad. He is married with an American citizen. He agrees our son lives with me, but will my son be allowed to come to Canada once I get my permanent residence and claim him, what will happen with his process in the States? In case, his application for the green card stops, will he be allowed to reenter the States to visit his dad. By this time he will have his residence in Canada.
    This is all very confussing and we want to do things right not to affect his future travelling from Canada to the USA and viceverse.
    Please, keep on giving me advice, and thanks for taking your time to read me.