50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Passport

Is it required to carry a passport if I'm taking a trip to Jamaica for a week.

What documents are required if a passport is not necessary?

Is it required to carry a passport if I'm taking a trip to Jamaica for a week.

What documents are required if a passport is not necessary?

1- According to US Immigrtaion Laws you must always keep your passport valid as long as you are in the US as an Alien, including LPR.
    2- How did you enter US on what document.
    3- Sec.215[8 U.S.C. 1185](a) Unless otherwise ordered by the President, it shall be unlawful-
    (1) for anyto depart from or enter or attempt tp depart from or enter the United States except under such reasonable rules, regulations, and orders, and subject to such limitations and exceptions, as the President may prescribe;

If you are an Alien, then you should follow the US Laws.
    If you are a US Citizen, You must alway enter the Foregin Country on US travel document, that is your ID, and upon arrival in foregin country, you must register with the US Embassy/Consulate for any assistance in case you need.

I should have given more information the first time. I'm a born U.S.C. I'm planning on making a trip to Jamaica for a week. My concern was; Is it absolutely necessary to possess your passport when arriving back to the U.S., or would any other document be sufficient? Is it necessary to have your passport in Jamaica?

You can travel there and back with your birth certificate and DL until the end of this year.

See http://www.travel.state.gov/travel/c...bpmc_2223.html and go to FAQ for timeline.

Under 8 U.S.C. 1185(b)(Section 215(b) and 22 CFR 53.1 Require that U.S. Citizens exit and enter the United States on a U.S. passport, Sec. 215(f) Passport, visa, reentry permits, and other documents required for entry under this Act may be considered as permits to enter for the purposes of this section.
    It shall be unlawful for any person to depart from or enter or attempt to depart or enter the United States without a travel document.

As suggested by Aibolit, If you travel on your bith certificate and ID, the Officer at the port of entery will have to apply for your waiver, and you will have to pay waiver fee near about $200.00 and you will be stoped at the port of entery for how long no one knows, unless the inspector at the port of entery get the ok he will not allow you to enter the US.
    Why dont you check with http://www.travel.state.gov/tavel what ever suggested by Aibolit and let us know your finding please. Thank you.

As suggested by Aibolit, If you travel on your bith certificate and ID, the Officer at the port of entery will have to apply for your waiver, and you will have to pay waiver fee near about $200.00 and you will be stoped at the port of entery for how long no one knows, unless the inspector at the port of entery get the ok he will not allow you to enter the US.
    This is nonsense. If you read posting on US Dept. of State site, you'll learn that the passport requirement for travel in the Western Hemisphere for US citizens will be gradually phased in starting 01/01/07.

This is not nonsense, it happened to few travelers, while I was at the other counter of the INS in NY as well as DC.

If you see the regulations, INA, and CFR they are still the same. You should quoted the law to support.
    Dont get upset, cool down.

What Adam is writing about is true for travel in general. However, for US citizens traveling in the Western Hemisphere the rules are different. See my postings above.