50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: question regarding naturalization

I am preparing to apply for my citizenship. I jsut have a question regarding the question regarding good moral character. Do I have to disclose a speeding ticket? I've paid the necessary fines. Thanks.

I am preparing to apply for my citizenship. I jsut have a question regarding the question regarding good moral character. Do I have to disclose a speeding ticket? I've paid the necessary fines. Thanks.

On the N400 the question is " Have you ever been
    arrested, cited or detained by any law enforcement officer?". Although you paid the fine you were cited, so the truthful answer is "yes".
    The above is simply an opinion. Your mileage may vary. For immigration issues, please consult an immigration attorney.

Speeding ticket in itself is not an offense. DUI is more likely to be somthing you would put down. Losing your licence is yet another offense.

The question poses " Have you been cited...?". A speeding violation is a citation and payment of a fine suggests that he was not simply offered a warning. A speeding ticket would have little or no impact on an immigrant's good moral character, but it is important to answer all questions honestly.
    The above is simply an opinion. Your mileage may vary. For immigration issues, please consult an immigration attorney.

I guess in addition to my earlier question,
    I have 4 tickets in the past 10 years. I do not have any proof and dates for the earlier 2 tickets which was given to me more than 7 years ago. I was able to pull up the most current ones 2 years ago by requesting a report from the DMV for my license/records. Any suggestions regarding the other 2 citations that I do not have records of? Thanks for the help.

I would list everything, even if you don't have documentation. Write on a separate sheet of paper that you had two other speeding tickets more than however long ago, but no longer have copies. It is always best to disclose everything.