50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: anyone who's familiar with marriage and divorces..

my brother is currently married to an illegal immigrant, who was born in the US but moved to mexico soon after birth and has no s.s #. they've been married for almost five years, and have two beautiful kids together. however my sister-in-law still has no paperworks done, and their marriage is falling apart.

i'm trying to help both my brother and his wife out by finding out some information from other people before they decide to take this with a lawyer that may cost an arm and a leg for simple information.

my sister in law has no s.s. number nor a birth certificat proving she was born in the US, and from my understanding, you need certain paper works for any marriage to be legit in the US under law.

in this situation, would their entire marriage be a complete void, and not valid because of improper paperworks?

also, if a divorce do come to place, will the government be able assist her in getting child support from my brother? or will her not being a US citizen affect her winning the right for custody of the two kids?

since she doe not have an ss number but does have a tax ID number, does that make any difference in this particular situation?

we as an entire family would greatly appreciate your responses and answers to my questions. thank you

my brother is currently married to an illegal immigrant, who was born in the US but moved to mexico soon after birth and has no s.s #. they've been married for almost five years, and have two beautiful kids together. however my sister-in-law still has no paperworks done, and their marriage is falling apart.

i'm trying to help both my brother and his wife out by finding out some information from other people before they decide to take this with a lawyer that may cost an arm and a leg for simple information.

my sister in law has no s.s. number nor a birth certificat proving she was born in the US, and from my understanding, you need certain paper works for any marriage to be legit in the US under law.

in this situation, would their entire marriage be a complete void, and not valid because of improper paperworks?

also, if a divorce do come to place, will the government be able assist her in getting child support from my brother? or will her not being a US citizen affect her winning the right for custody of the two kids?

since she doe not have an ss number but does have a tax ID number, does that make any difference in this particular situation?

we as an entire family would greatly appreciate your responses and answers to my questions. thank you

If she was born in the USA, she is a citizen. She should be able to get a copy of her birth certificate from the Department of Health in the county where she was born.

well the situation on her side is much more complex than that.

after moving to mexico her mother started using her stepfather's last name instead of the biological father's.

she had a hard time getting into this country because her birth certificate only has her first name...

Was she born in a hospital? If so, a birth certificate should exist.

i honestly do not know her situation in that area, but i do know she does not have a social nor a proof of birth in the us. according to the immigration, her information was not valid.

i just need to know if her not having any proof of being a us citizen will or will not affect her and this divorce, since there are 2 kids involved.

the only proof of anything that she does have is a tax id no. that was given to her when my brother claimed her while filing taxes...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by lmden:

we as an entire family would greatly appreciate your responses and answers to my questions. thank you </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Best advice is for your sister-in-law to ask his mother where he was born, assuming the mother is still alive. If the mother is not alive, he may need to talk to other relatives who might know or see if the mother has any paperwork, letters, documents, etc that might give a clue. Also, this site will allow your sister-in-law to go "fishing" to see if there are any birth records. She needs to know her mother's name, father's name, valid drivers license, date of birth, and valid credit card. Some states may require additonal info.
    "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." John Adams on Defense of the boston Massacre

The assumption is that if she can find her birth certificate, she can then go to SSA office and apply for one. The exception is if the mother used a procedure to make your sister-in-law a Mexican citizen, similarly where a USC has a child overseas. Thus, finding the birth certificate is very important, but the key is what was the name placed on the birth certificate.
    "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." John Adams on Defense of the boston Massacre

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">well the situation on her side is much more complex than that.

after moving to mexico her mother started using her stepfather's last name instead of the biological father's.

she had a hard time getting into this country because her birth certificate only has her first name... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is what is confusing and why I think maybe the sister in law wasn't born in a hospital and, therefore, has no birth certificate. Hospitals require a first and last name for the child, be it the mother's or father's last name. I don't think you can just have a first name on a birth cert. in the USA.

Not enough information has been provided to help the OP. If she can provide more details, I'll go digging. Ancestry.com, of which I'm a member, allows you to search for birth certificates. So if the OP can come back (or PM me), I'll be happy to try to locate it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ProudUSC:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">well the situation on her side is much more complex than that.

she had a hard time getting into this country because her birth certificate only has her first name... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is what is confusing and why I think maybe the sister in law wasn't born in a hospital and, therefore, has no birth certificate. Hospitals require a first and last name for the child, be it the mother's or father's last name. I don't think you can just have a first name on a birth cert. in the USA.

Not enough information has been provided to help the OP. If she can provide more details, I'll go digging. Ancestry.com, of which I'm a member, allows you to search for birth certificates. So if the OP can come back (or PM me), I'll be happy to try to locate it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Either that, the mother was young, perhaps in her ***** and had the baby out of wedlock. And if the mother moved back to Mexico, it is common for the daughter to bear the name of the stepfather (the mother married while already having a child).