50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Foreign wife trying to blackmail me/ext.

I am finding out that me wife has been living a secret life while I was trying to do everything that I could to support us. She had complained that there was not enough money, but I had no idea that she was planning to leave me. She said she needed some time to sort things out, to be alone and then she vanished for two weeks. When she got back she said our marriage was over and that she had gone to Hawaii. She said she went alone, but I don't know where she got the money for the trip. This happened 3 months before our second stage for her permanent green card. Now she is saying that if I don't pretend that we are still in a good marriage and file all the documents, that she will make me pay for alimony.

She is from Russia, came here on a K-1 visa, married in California. I did everything to get her here, taught her how to drive, showed her the ways of the country, loved and trusted her, set her up to be here and helped her to get into a very good graduate school. Now she is moving on in her life without me and threatening me if I don't do more for her.

I need to know what I am up against with a divorce. We were only married for two years, she owns nothing and is going to school with loans. I owned everything that I have before the marriage including some savings and a 1/6 limited partnership on a home. All of the money that I made after our marriage was spent on helping her get set up in her life here and on bills. None of the money made after the marriage was used for: adding wife to bank account with premarital money, for title to car/house/boat, contributions to pension plan, paying down principal owed on house. I never put her name on anything, nor did we share a bank account. There was nothing like that. I did not have that kind of earnings, plans, or property. My yearly income for the last few years has been just above the poverty level requirements for the USCIS....around 16 to 20 thousand on my tax forms and I am not working now because of the shock and pain.

Might she claim a support obligation? What could be her grounds for her to claim this? I only took care of her (supported and helped her to get established), I told her that I was not a rich man from the beginning, bent over backwards to get her here to be with me and to support her. If she started that kind of claim, she would need an expensive lawyer? What kind of proof would they need to base there claim, How would they get their formation, records. Could they really tear my life apart?

Then there is the fraudulent aspect of what she is demanding of me, if I do not pretend that we are still in a good marriage and file all the documents...... She is asking me to commit fraud. What do I do about this? Do I contact the USCIS? And how do I proceed with a divorce or annulment? It seems that it is going to be very expensive. I can not afford this kind of expense. Do I just give her what she wants as to avoid extreme expense hardship?

Would anyone who is really experienced be willing to read a more detailed summery of my situation? Could I send a more detailed description of what happened in the relationship that lead up to this point (divorce) and what I feel that I should be doing on my part.?

I am finding out that me wife has been living a secret life while I was trying to do everything that I could to support us. She had complained that there was not enough money, but I had no idea that she was planning to leave me. She said she needed some time to sort things out, to be alone and then she vanished for two weeks. When she got back she said our marriage was over and that she had gone to Hawaii. She said she went alone, but I don't know where she got the money for the trip. This happened 3 months before our second stage for her permanent green card. Now she is saying that if I don't pretend that we are still in a good marriage and file all the documents, that she will make me pay for alimony.

She is from Russia, came here on a K-1 visa, married in California. I did everything to get her here, taught her how to drive, showed her the ways of the country, loved and trusted her, set her up to be here and helped her to get into a very good graduate school. Now she is moving on in her life without me and threatening me if I don't do more for her.

I need to know what I am up against with a divorce. We were only married for two years, she owns nothing and is going to school with loans. I owned everything that I have before the marriage including some savings and a 1/6 limited partnership on a home. All of the money that I made after our marriage was spent on helping her get set up in her life here and on bills. None of the money made after the marriage was used for: adding wife to bank account with premarital money, for title to car/house/boat, contributions to pension plan, paying down principal owed on house. I never put her name on anything, nor did we share a bank account. There was nothing like that. I did not have that kind of earnings, plans, or property. My yearly income for the last few years has been just above the poverty level requirements for the USCIS....around 16 to 20 thousand on my tax forms and I am not working now because of the shock and pain.

Might she claim a support obligation? What could be her grounds for her to claim this? I only took care of her (supported and helped her to get established), I told her that I was not a rich man from the beginning, bent over backwards to get her here to be with me and to support her. If she started that kind of claim, she would need an expensive lawyer? What kind of proof would they need to base there claim, How would they get their formation, records. Could they really tear my life apart?

Then there is the fraudulent aspect of what she is demanding of me, if I do not pretend that we are still in a good marriage and file all the documents...... She is asking me to commit fraud. What do I do about this? Do I contact the USCIS? And how do I proceed with a divorce or annulment? It seems that it is going to be very expensive. I can not afford this kind of expense. Do I just give her what she wants as to avoid extreme expense hardship?

Would anyone who is really experienced be willing to read a more detailed summery of my situation? Could I send a more detailed description of what happened in the relationship that lead up to this point (divorce) and what I feel that I should be doing on my part.?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by john99:
    I never put her name on anything, nor did we share a bank account. There was nothing like that. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    That's actually good. If you do not go along with her fraud attempt to file joint I-751, she'll be forced to file I-751 waiver herself after divorcing you. That means she will have to divorce you fast whether she likes it or not. On her waiver petition, she has to prove that she entered into the marriage with a good faith. But since she does not have any documents that has both of your names, she'll have a hard time proving to USCIS that her marriage was genuine. It is highly possible that her I-751 waiver could get denied, and she could get put on a removal proceeding and deported out of U.S. Obviously, that's up to USCIS to decide.

As for your divorce, it depends on which state you reside in. States such as California and Colorado are "no fault" states. You should read the follwing link to get familiar with no fault divorce.
    http://www.cadivorce.com/library/divorcebasics/ldbdivor...nofaultdivorce.shtml

The most common outcome in no fault divorce is you and your spouse split all assets and liabilities 50/50% (she'll be liable for paying back half of her loan). But if you contest and a judge decide that she contributed less to your marriage, she could get much less.

In a way, you are fortunate that you don't have much asset and a high paying job. She can't ask for things that you don't even have. She is using a scare tactic and it's best not to fall for it. Once you give in to her demand, more likely than not, she'll demand more in the future. And finally, you seem to need a consultation with a divorce lawyer to get a professional advice.

And one more thing - lawyers do not care much for cases in which there isn't a prospect of reward of a lot of money (your case doesn't). I doubt your wife can get a expensive lawyer to do work for her unless she can pay for them herself.

John 99,

First, I would like to say I am sorry that your marriage ended.

I read about marriage fraud here all the time, and then stories like yours.
    Can anybody please explain to me, why this woman is " accused " of marriage fraud?
    Why should she leave her husband just 2 month before she would get her conditions removed, if the only reason she married him was a GC?
    She could have just hung in there for another 3 or 4 month ( ice-cold like Russian women are ) and then leave him. It would have been way easier, and he could do nearly nothing about it.
    To leave him before the conditions are removed means in my opinion, that the marriage was no good anymore, for what reason ever.
    I think, this marriage ended, for the same reason thousands of other marriages end- it didn't work out- sad, but that's how it is.
    The big question I have is, why did you ( John99) never put her name on anything?
    If the only reason you brought her over here was love, why did you not do what most couple's do- share?
    I have my own suspicions about how your marriage was and what your intentions were, but of course I will keep those to myself.
    As for the question if she can sue you for alimonies, it depends on the state you live in, in some it is possible, in some it is not.
    I would not file the joint removal of conditions, since as you mentioned it would be fraudulent to do so. Just leave her be.
    And if it is possible to sue for alimonies in your state, then it will not make any difference, if you give in to her" or not, she will sue you for that anyway.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">John 99,
    First, I would like to say I am sorry that your marriage ended.

I read about marriage fraud here all the time, and then stories like yours.

Can anybody please explain to me, why this woman is " accused " of marriage fraud? Why should she leave her husband just 2 month before she would get her conditions removed, if the only reason she married him was a GC? She could have just hung in there for another 3
    or 4 month ( ice-cold like Russian women are ) and then leave him. It would have been way easier, and he could do nearly nothing about it. To leave him before the conditions are removed means in my opinion, that the marriage was no good anymore, for what reason ever. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There are different possibilities as to why she acted the way she did:

1. She could've planned to do all of this already way BEFORE getting married.

2. She could've jumped the gun, thinking she was already home-free.

3. She could've thought that her actions would've made her husband submit to her "I want a divorce" demand.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I think, this marriage ended, for the same reason thousands of other marriages end- it didn't work out- sad, but that's how it is.

The big question I have is, why did you (John99) never put her name on anything?
    If the only reason you brought her over here was love, why did you not do what most couples do- share? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nobody knows if he wanted to and it was her who refused to do so.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I have my own suspicions about how your marriage was and what your intentions were, but of course I will keep those to myself. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It looks to me like the one who had intentions all along was his wife, not him! Otherwise, why would've he spent all that time and money to bring her over?

Dmartmar,

and where exactly is the GC fraud in that scenario?
    If this woman's only intention would have been to receive alimonies, it would have been easier for her to marry a man from Europe.
    So what's your point?

I have no sympathy for you John 99 bottles of beer on the wall. EVERYBODY repeat EVERYBODY in the world knows that these Russian women are starving to death and will take any chance to leave that horrible country. They have been using and ab-using men from many countries, not only Americans, and the minute they place their dirty feet on our shore is good bye Charlie.
    to Rambo and every damm illegal alien in the U.S. GET THE HELL OUT OF HERE!!! Your own countries are supposed to support you, THEY have an OBLIGATION with you, not us, when will you get it thru your sick skulls. We have MILLIONS of people who SHOULD

Get DIrty FOREIGN FEET off AMERICAN SOIL !!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Vegado:
    and where exactly is the GC fraud in that scenario? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    She is blackmailing him to file joint I-751 petition even if the marriage is broken. What do you call that if not fraud?

Dmartmar,
    are you about done changing your posting?

Templar,
    while I agree that it is wrong even to voice such a " threat", I still think it is an empty " threat", said out of fear and despair.
    What exactly would she take from the OP? As he posted he doesn't own anything, he doesn't have anything, so what is "all" from "nothing"?
    While I cannot say with certaincy that the only reason she married him was to receive a GC, I think it is not very likely. If this had been the intention, she would have pulled it up smarter.
    What I think happened, is, that he met her somehow (I always wonder, how do Americans meet all these women from eastern Europe, I mean they a worlds apart and it is not like you run into them on every street corner), brought her over here, and now she is here since 2 years or so, built up a new life, new friends a new everything. That is her home now, why would she want to relocate again? It is not, that she would just move to the next town. She would have to leave her home again; she would have to leave her life behind her that is very emotional and stressful.
    And this is why I think she threatens him.
    I still disapprove the threat, like I disapprove any threatening, but I also think, she won't be very successful with it either
    I think it is very interesting, that, if a male USC marries a girl from a different country and the marriage doesn't work out, it is quite often considered GC fraud.
    While if the same thing happens to a female USC, she just goes on and does not try to blame it on GC fraud (of course there are exceptions).
    Does this have to do with the male Ego, the masculine urge for power? I don't know.