free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Peter Schey: Lawyer for LIFE/Lulac

Hi,

I am searching for a Lawyer for my LIFE/Lulac case. I know Peter Schey is one of them. Does anybody has any experience with him? Please explain your experience with him and his fees!!

And, Does it matter if attornry doesn't live in the same city the cleint live? Another word can P. Schey represent me since i live in CT?

Thanks

Hi,

I am searching for a Lawyer for my LIFE/Lulac case. I know Peter Schey is one of them. Does anybody has any experience with him? Please explain your experience with him and his fees!!

And, Does it matter if attornry doesn't live in the same city the cleint live? Another word can P. Schey represent me since i live in CT?

Thanks

I don't think hiring an attorney out of state is a good idea because it will be very hard to communicate with each other. Look for lawyer in you city.
    Peter Schey is a very busy man, if you try to talk to any body at the center for human rights it's is impossible mission. Can you please tell us about the statues of you Life legalization? What kind of document you have to prove your presence from 82-1988.
    Did you apply for the new settlements? Why you need a lawyer?

Thank You, Zeid. Well, I did talk to him on the phone few times (i guess I was lucky). The reason i need a lawyer, because I ran into a problem recently. Due to emergency i had to go out of the country without advance parole at got stuck at the border with 5 years bar. Now i need to apply for waiver. But i heard without a good lawyer it is impossible get a waiver.But there are no lawyers that knows about Lulac case except few in the west such as Peter Schey! If you or anybody knows any lawyer in Medwest (Detroit, Chicago area) who can help me or is familier with Lulac please let me know!

My status is unknown right now. Because i missed the interview (April 15) while i am stuck outside the USA. So i do need a lawyer to get waiver. The documents i have are my school transcripts, paycheck stubs, tax return, employers letters.

Thanks

Hi JMH,
    It is not a good idea to travel outside the U.S without Advance Parole, I know it take three months to get advance Parole document I-131, but in case of emergency situation you can go to your local INS office and they will give you advance parole in the same day. The question is you now in the United States or outside the U.S? If outside the U.S in which country you are in now?

Can you please tell us what exactly happened to you when you tried to enter back the U.S? Did the immigration officer let you enter the U.S, if so based on what? Did you tried to enter through the airport or land crossing?

You said you are bared to enter the U.S for five years!!! I know the bar usually for a 3/10 year, I never heard five year bar.
    What kind of waiver you want to apply for or looking to get is it I-690 or I-601?
    Did you ever go through the special registration program for people from certain country?

What was Mr. Peter Schey advice to you concerning your case? I know Mr.Schey
    charge three thousands dollar to handle a case. If you did not hire him yet I can give you contact information for few lawyers in the Midwest States! Let me know.

Zeid, I did not know i could get advance parole in one day. Now I am canada. They denied me at the land crossing. I think they told me 3 years bar no longer valid it's now 5/10. I am not sure what kind of waiver i need to file and that's why i need a good lawyer. However they (INS)handed me I-192 Waiver; application for AP to enter as Nonimmigrant(Pursuant to Section 212(d)(3) of the immigration and Nationanility).

No, I did not hire P. Schey, because i am not sure it's good idea to hire an out of area lawyer. But again he knows the most about Lulac. It will be good if you give me those lawyers name. You can also email me at: jhn_rhn@yahoo.com.

Thanks

To JMH,
    How did you go to Canada, did you obtain visiting visa or you landed immigrant
    and you are now Canadian permanent resident. When you tried to enter the U.S
    did the immigration officer stamp anything in your passport? Did you show them
    that you applied for Life Legalization and you case still pending.
    From my understanding of reading Life legalization people can apply to Life Legalization from overseas.

Hi Zeid

I am lulac applicant, had interview in April 2004 still waiting for decission from INS officer. My lawyer says you cannot do anything but wait till ins send you letter of their decission.

Could please advise what is the new settlements are and how should I go.

Thank you.

Late Amnesty Frequently Asked Questions
    Who is covered under the CSS settlement?
    Individuals who meet the following requirements will be able to obtain lawful status under the CSS settlement:

You lived in the United States unlawfully from before January 1, 1982, to a date between May 5, 1987, and May 4, 1988, when you went to an office of the Immigration Service or a Qualified Designated entity to apply for legalization.
    You visited an INS office or Qualified Designated Entity between May 5, 1987, and May 4, 1988, to apply for legalization.
    The INS or QDE told you that you were ineligible for legalization because you had traveled outside the United States without INS permission.
    You do NOT need to have previously "registered" as a CSS class member. However, IF you did NOT apply for a CSS work permit, then you must also have had a complete legalization application and fee when you went in to apply for legalization. If you ever attempted to get a CSS work permit--even if the INS refused to give you a work permit--then it is NOT required that you had a complete application and fee when you went in to apply for legalization.

Persons who didn't visit an INS or QDE office during the May 1987-May 88 application year do not receive any benefits under the settlement.

Who is covered under the Newman (LULAC) settlement?
    Individuals who meet the following requirements will be able to obtain lawful status under the Newman(LULAC) settlement:

You lived in the United States unlawfully from before January 1, 1982, to a date between May 5, 1987, and May 4, 1988, when you went to an office of the Immigration Service or a Qualified Designated entity to apply for legalization.
    You visited an INS office or Qualified Designated Entity between May 5, 1987, and May 4, 1988, to apply for legalization.
    The INS or QDE told you that you were ineligible for legalization because you had traveled outside the United States and come back using a tourist, student, or other re-entry document.
    You do NOT need to have previously "registered" as a Newman(LULAC) class member. However, IF you did NOT apply for a Newman(LULAC) work permit, then you must also have had a complete legalization application and fee when you went in to apply for legalization. If you ever attempted to get a Newman(LULAC) work permit--even if the INS refused to give you a work permit--then it is NOT required that you had a complete application and fee when you went in to apply for legalization.

Persons who didn't visit an INS or QDE office during the May 1987-May 88 application year do not receive any benefits under the settlement.

I (or my relative or friend) no longer lives in the United States. May I (or he or she) still apply under the CSS or Newman (LULAC) settlements?
    So far, the government has "interpreted" the settlement to say no, that people are not entitled to apply from abroad for CSS and Newman (LULAC) settlement benefits. As the lawyers for CSS and Newman (LULAC) class members, we read the settlement differently. The Center believes a strong argument can be made that people have a right to legalize from abroad.

We are recommending that persons who are otherwise qualified under the settlement should not let the one-year application period go by without applying simply because they no longer live in the United States. By applying from abroad, they will preserve their rights under the settlement. In the event the court decides that people may apply under the settlement from abroad, which if may very likely do, you do not want to be lose your chance to obtain lawful U.S. residence because you did not apply during the one-year application period.

How do my rights under the CSS and Newman (LULAC) settlements relate to my rights under the LIFE Act?
    Class members' rights under the settlement are independent of and in addition to their right to obtain legal status under the LIFE Act.

Many persons who have rights under the CSS and Newman (LULAC) settlements have already applied to adjust their status under the LIFE Act. Unless the CIS has approved your LIFE Act application, however, we recommend that you apply as well under the CSS and Newman (LULAC) settlements. This is why:

The Center continues to receive reports that CIS is being very hard on LIFE Act applicants. Among other reasons, the CIS is reportedly denying LIFE Act applications because the applicant cannot produce "original" proof of residence, such as original rent receipts, pay stubs, and the like. Many LIFE Act applicants are also being issued denials or "notices of deficiency" because they cannot pass an in-person **** examination on U.S. civics and English. In many other cases, the CIS has simply delayed deciding LIFE Act applications, and there is no way to know when the agency will get around to making a decision.

The CSS and Newman (LULAC) settlements offers class members several important advantages over the LIFE Act: The settlements provide clear guidance as to how and when the CIS must process class members' legalization applications. The settlement provides that class members may establish eligibility for legalization by way of declarations, and not only by original documents. The settlement also provides class members the right to appeal to a "special master," a judicial officer with the authority to correct the CIS's errors in the event the agency does not decide a class member's legalization application promptly, fairly, and in accordance with the settlement's guidelines.

Also, an applicant who legalizes under the CSS and Newman (LULAC) settlements will not have to meet the English and U.S. history requirement until 12-18 months after the CIS grants them temporary residence.

There are also some substantive advantages to legalizing under the settlement, particularly CSS and Newman (LULAC) class members with children who lack lawful immigration status. CSS class members who legalize under the settlement can apply for "family unity" benefits (work authorization and protection against deportation) for their children and spouses. In contrast to LIFE Act family unity, the children of class members who legalize under the settlement will not lose family unity status when they turn 21 years old. Children lose their family unity benefits when they turn 21 if their parents legalized under the LIFE Act instead of the CSS and Newman (LULAC) settlements.

What about CSS and Newman (LULAC) class members with pending or approved legalization questionnaires?
    During 1999-2000 the former INS operated a "legalization questionnaire" program. Under this program, individuals filed legalization questionnaires with the INS. These questionnaires were intended to allow the INS to determine whether the individual had been "front-desked": that is, that he or she tendered a complete legalization application and fee to the INS during the 1987-88 application year and had been turned away. If the INS approved an individual's questionnaire, he or she was instructed to a file legalization application with the INS Service Center in Texas.

A court judgment in the related LULAC class action required the INS to open the legalization questionnaire program to LULAC class members, but the agency voluntarily extended it to CSS and Zambrano class members, and indeed, to anyone at all who claimed that he or she had been front-desked during the 1987-88 amnesty application year. The INS stopped taking new legalization questionnaires in February 2000, but many questionnaires, as well as legalization applications filed in Texas, have never been decided. There is no way of knowing when or if the CIS decide these applications.

We have no way of forcing the INS to adjudicate CSS and Newman (LULAC) class members' legalization questionnaires or legalization applications filed with the INS Texas Service Center. We accordingly recommend that CSS and Newman (LULAC) class members apply under the settlement even though they have pending legalization questionnaires or have filed form I-687 legalization applications with the INS's Texas Service Center.

The CSS and Newman (LULAC) settlements offer class members several important advantages over the legalization questionnaire program: The settlement provides binding guidance as to how and when the CIS must process class members' legalization applications. The settlement provides that class members may establish eligibility for legalization by way of declarations, and not only by original documents. The settlement also provides class members the right to appeal to a "special master," a judicial officer with the authority to correct the CIS's errors in the event the agency does not decide a class member's legalization application promptly, fairly, and in accordance with the settlement's guidelines.

What is the status of CSS and Newman (LULAC) work permits?
    The CIS remains obliged to renew CSS and Newman (LULAC) class members' work permits. Class members without a work permit will receive one once they file under the CSS and Newman (LULAC) settlements so long as their legalization applications appear to meet the requirements for legalization. If you have problems renewing or obtaining a CSS or Newman (LULAC) work permit.,