free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can I get home?

I am a British citizen and came to the U.S. in June 0f 1997. I married a U.S. citizen in August of the same year and filed the correct Immigration papers to enable me to stay here.

In February of 2002 my request for removal of the CONDITIONAL basis of my PERMANENT RESIDENCY was approved.

In 2005 My wife and I divorced and due to my having PERMANENT RESIDENCY I remained here in the U.S.

I am currently homeless, have no job, no funds or resources and have an expired British passport. I have medical problems (frequent seizures and severe depression) and wish to leave the United States to return to Great Britain PERMANENTLY to get help with my medical problems and take care of my parents who are sick.

A friend of mine who has a colleague who works for Immigration said that in similar circumstances to mine they can get you on a plane and get you back to your home country as a one-off thing.

Does anyone know anything about this? I have an appointment at my local USCIS office on Tuesday to inquire if this is a possibility but was wondering if anyone knew anything about this?
    Thanks & Best Wishes

Dave W

"The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done". -George

I am a British citizen and came to the U.S. in June 0f 1997. I married a U.S. citizen in August of the same year and filed the correct Immigration papers to enable me to stay here.

In February of 2002 my request for removal of the CONDITIONAL basis of my PERMANENT RESIDENCY was approved.

In 2005 My wife and I divorced and due to my having PERMANENT RESIDENCY I remained here in the U.S.

I am currently homeless, have no job, no funds or resources and have an expired British passport. I have medical problems (frequent seizures and severe depression) and wish to leave the United States to return to Great Britain PERMANENTLY to get help with my medical problems and take care of my parents who are sick.

A friend of mine who has a colleague who works for Immigration said that in similar circumstances to mine they can get you on a plane and get you back to your home country as a one-off thing.

Does anyone know anything about this? I have an appointment at my local USCIS office on Tuesday to inquire if this is a possibility but was wondering if anyone knew anything about this?
    Thanks & Best Wishes

Dave W

"The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done". -George

HI JediKnight,

What I do know is that the British Embassy can help you get home. They will sort out your passport for you, no one else can.
    You also may be eligable because of medical conditions. Embassies are usually the ones that help get their Citizens back home in a crisis or documentation problems.

Certain airlines can also help give reduced airline tickets, but you have to speak to the individual airlines themselves.

I know you are on the net now, but do you have phone access or access to the internet again?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    God Bless America - God Bless Immigrants - God Bless Poor Misguided Souls Too

National Domestic Violence Hotline:
    1.800.799.SAFE (7233) 1.800.787.

Hi Sprint_Girl and thanks for a super fast reply!

I have access to the internet during the day at the local library and can get sue of a cellphone to make calls. What would you suggest is my best course of action to get me home fastest? is it a waste of time attending the INS appointment on Tuesday?

IF The British Embassy can fix the lack of current passport my parents have indicated they may be able to pay for a flight, it would be difficult for them to get the money together I know but if they had to they think they can...
    Thanks & Best Wishes

Dave W

JK..USCIS have nothing to do with you getting home I am afraid.
    You are still a UK Citizen, and have not become a US Citizen so you will be under the UK Embassy still. They are there to help the UK Citizens in this country.

They are also the only people that can give you a passport and the right legal documents for you to fly with.

USCIS only deal with immigration issues, Embassy deal with rest.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm looking for those numbers for you. I spoke to DC and Houston myself. But I will get all of them.

From what I remember, I left a message at Houston, as they call you back, depending on the urgency.

They actually were on call, not in their office. Not sure why but the person called me from their cellphone, as it was an emergency.

Hopefully they can call you too, saving you money. Ill check

I totally appreciate your help THANK YOU!
    Thanks & Best Wishes

Dave W

SPRINT_GIRL07 YOU my dear are an absolute ANGEL!!!

Thanks so much for your help!!!!
    Thanks & Best Wishes

Dave W

You are welcome...keep in touch when you can

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JediKnight:

Does anyone know anything about this? I have an appointment at my local USCIS office on Tuesday to inquire if this is a possibility but was wondering if anyone knew anything about this? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

JediKnight

Welcome to the asylum here at ILW

I am sorry to hear of your woes. It is too bad that you had not applied for N-400 citizenship for all these years. This way if you left permanently, you could always have returned with no issues if you wanted.

For immediate help with your medical problems. Go to your local welfare office and get medicaid. This will help you get well with no cost to you. You will also be able to get food stamps and perhaps a onetime grant of cash assistance . Check out the Salvation Army as they have many options that will help you with cash etc.

Are you working currently?

If you are not able to work becuase of your seizures etc,. then you may be eligible to apply for SSI disability. This will give you a monthly income to help you. This money will come to you monthly regarless whether you are here or in the UK.

If possible, try to take advantage of the social programs available to you here to get well and back on your feet first before venturing back to UK.

Best wishes to you