free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: honorary citizen

my father have a honorary citizen from Sioux city, Iowa since 1970 and he is not an american citizen he lives outside USA, so can he obtain an immigration visa (green card) or have i any advantage ?

my father have a honorary citizen from Sioux city, Iowa since 1970 and he is not an american citizen he lives outside USA, so can he obtain an immigration visa (green card) or have i any advantage ?

I found this after doing a google search, it's just a passage, the link to it is below

An Honorary Citizen of the United States does not appear to have the same rights with a regular US citizen. For example, 7 FAM 1172 from the Foreign Affairs Manual of the State Department states explicitly that honorary US citizens are not eligible for US passports. (Churchill's US passport that is pictured was likely issued under a previous version of the FAM) At present, it is unclear what rights honorary citizenship bestows to an individual, if any at all.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honorar..._United_States

This is not to challenge what the OP stated, but it is very rare that the US bestows honorary citizenship:

http://www.ilw.com/immigdaily/news/2005,0819-crs.pdf

Honorary Citizenship Distinguished.

A private law to grant citizenship
    should not be confused with honorary citizenship. Honorary citizenship is a rare and
    extraordinary honor granted to foreigners who have rendered great service. Only a
    handful of individuals have received this honor, including Mother Teresa, renowned
    for her charitable works on behalf of the destitute; Raoul Wallenberg, the Swedish
    diplomat who saved the lives of thousands of Jews during World War II; Winston
    Churchill, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom during World War II; and William
    Penn, the founder of Pennsylvania, and Hannah Callowhill Penn, his wife. Honorary
    citizenship "is a symbolic gesture. It does not grant any additional legal rights in the
    United States or in international law. It also does not impose additional duties or
    responsibilities, in the United States or internationally, on the honoree."41 It "does
    not give the recipient any voting privileges. This has been a concern in the past. It
    is crystal clear from the legislative history of the Churchill, Wallenberg, and Penn
    bills that conferral of honorary citizenship is purely a symbolic gesture. It is
    recognition of their outstanding commitment to their fellow man and to America."42
    Then-Representative Pat Schroeder noted that Mother Teresa would not
    automatically have the right to reside in the United States even with the honorary
    citizenship unless she met the usual immigration requirements.43 Honorary
    citizenship is normally granted through a joint resolution enacted as a public law,44
    not a private law, since it is a public honor granted by the United States to a
    meritorious individual, not private relief waiving the application of the public
    immigration and nationality laws for an individual. For further information on
    honorary citizenship laws, see CRS Report RS21471

You learn something new every day.
    That was an interesting read.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    God Bless America - God Bless Immigrants - God Bless Poor Misguided Souls Too

National Domestic Violence Hotline:
    1.800.799.SAFE (7233) 1.800.787.

Thank you for all these informations, but my father have a honorary citizen diploma with the signature of the Mayor of the Sioux city, Iowa.
    I don't know if there is a difference between it and a foreign minister distinction (gived to mother theresa, churchill....)
    so i don't know what advantages can this honorary distinction give to my father

Hi Anas,

I tried to find information on this, but had no luck. Are you sure it wasn't an honorary award given to your dad? As stated in the previous posts, honorary citizenship is rare. You should check the certificate to be sure. Come back if you have additional information to provide.

hi proudUSC, thanxs

that what is writing in the certificate

Honorary Citizen
    of
    Sioux City, Iowa
    United states of America

By virtue of the authority vested in me as Mayor of the City of Sioux,Iowa, and as the representative of the City Council and the people of Sioux City, it is a distinct pleasure for me to officially welcome you to the city of Sioux

Mr...... be and is an honorary citizen of the city of sioux, Iowa

(with a seal and mayor signatue)

Hi Anas,

You should contact the mayor's office in Sioux City to find out exactly what this means. I used Google to try and find something for you, but I think a phone call will be the faster method. Good luck.

From what I read around online, all sorts of people have been given the Honor from various cities for different reasons.
    It doesn't seem that by receiving one, allows you to obtain an immigrant visa on those merits alone I am afraid.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    God Bless America - God Bless Immigrants - God Bless Poor Misguided Souls Too

National Domestic Violence Hotline:
    1.800.799.SAFE (7233) 1.800.787.