free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Community Standards

Dear Community Members: As promised, I am here replying to iperson's thoughtful post from a previous thread (see: http://discuss.ilw.com/eve/forums/a/.../m/54610694341 ). For the sake of clarity, my responses are in CAPS, the rest of the message below is from iperson's original text. I invite discussion by the community on this important topic. - Sam U. (Publisher, ILW.COM)

Sam U, thank you for your response to my question yesterday.
    While I understand that freedom of speech is valued to you on this forum, the way most forums on the internet are run, is they post a list of dos and don'ts, which overrun the constitution. It is the right of any privately owned board to set the rules irrespective of freedom of speech.
    SAM'S COMMENT: I COMPLETELY AGREE THAT WE CAN SET THE RULES ON OUR PROPERTY. WE WANT TO SET UP APPROPRIATE RULES HERE TO ENCOURAGE THE GROWTH OF THIS COMMUNITY. I ALSO AGREE THAT IT IS HIGH TIME THAT WE GOT A LITTLE MORE SPECIFIC, AND PROGRESSED BEYOND OUR HITHERTO LAISSEZ FAIRE APPROACH.

Here is an example of a widely known board and the rules on it are:

The following are common examples of violations that may result in immediate post removal, warning, board sanction and/or suspension from the site:

SAM'S COMMENT: I AM THINKING OF WARNING FOR ONE OFFENSE, A FEW DAYS SUSPENSION FOR A REPEATED OFFENSE, AND PERMANENT BAR FOR A THIRD OFFENSE. WHAT DOES THE COMMUNITY THINK OF THIS GRADUATED APPROACH?

Including another individual's contact information and/or email address in a post.

Including profanity, vulgarity, hate speech, disruptive, or hostile comments, interpersonal disputes, or threats of violence in a post.

SAM'S COMMENT: THE ABOVE MENTIONED PENALTIES WOULD APPLY TO FOUL LANGUAGE AND EMPHATICALLY TO THREATS OF VIOLENCE.

Including material (graphic or text) that is obscene, ****ographic or adult in nature.

SAM'S COMMENT: THE PENALTIES WOULD APPLY IN THIS SITUATION ALSO.

Using JavaScript or active code; making repetitive or disruptive posts; or otherwise taking actions that interfere with site operations.

SAM'S COMMENT: I BELIEVE THAT THE PENALTIES SHOULD APPLY TO THE ISSUES IMMEDIATELY ABOVE ALSO.

Attempting to impersonate eBay staff or other eBay members.

SAM'S COMMENT: THIS WOULD APPLY TOO.

Encouraging others to violate eBay policies or the eBay User Agreement.

Advertising merchandise, auctions, services or commercial Web sites, including offers to trade, "wanted" posts, or charitable solicitations.

Refusing to follow eBay staff instructions.

Posting email content from private parties.

Posting material that in any way violates the eBay User Agreement or Community Values.

Inappropriate threads started on Community Discussion Boards..

Posting listing reports or member violations. To report suspected violations, please review site policies under the Rules and Policies page or use the Contact Us form.

Discussing or reposting deleted posts or warning letters, or discussion of sanctioned or no longer registered members.

Misusing the violation reporting function to maliciously or frivolously report content as not in compliance with eBay policy.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/...me=CMDV:BD0002

These policies are strictly enforced. It doesn't matter whether the community member visited the boards every day for the past year or ten, when they violate the rules, they get a 7 day suspension. If they continue to violate the rules, they receive a 30 day suspension. If they come back and continue, they get an indefinite suspension from ebay boards.
    A similar tactic could be employed here.
    There should be a better operating report feature on the site, with a list of violations to choose from whenever a post is reported. It would enable a better decision making process for the admins to moderate the board.

SAM'S COMMENT: I AM CHECKING WITH OUR TECH GURUS HERE TO FIND OUT THE BEST WAY TO REPORT VIOLATIONS, AND WILL REVERT ON THIS.

I DONT WANT TO OVERLOAD THE COMMUNITY WITH TOO MANY DOS AND DONTS ALL AT ONCE. I AM PROPOSING THE HEREINABOVE (I.E. ONLY THE POINTS IMMEDIATELY ABOVE EACH OF MY COMMENTS HEREINABOVE) FOR NOW, AND A 3-STEP GRADED PENALTY SYSTEM. WE CAN TRY IT AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS FOR A MONTH OR TWO, AND THEN FURTHER TWEAK IT AS NECESSARY. OUR STANDARD FOR SUCCESS OR FAILURE IS VERY SIMPLE - WE WANT TO GROW THIS COMMUNITY AND ARE CLOSELY MONITORING ITS TRAFFIC.

I ONCE AGAIN THANK IPERSON FOR THE KIND SUGGESTION TO PROVIDE MORE STRUCTURE TO THE BOARD'S RULES, AND I INVITE THE COMMUNITY TO COMMENT ON THE ABOVE. THANKS!

hi sam i dont know if u have noticed this or not ,, there is 9 threads from beverly on the forum .. which makes it really impossible for ppl to read the frum bcoz of her posts are all over the forum,, i think u can force her at lease to post in 1 thread and if she doesn't then she should be banned from this forum . or u can deleted them bcoz they are worthless anyway .. just some rasict comment about mexicans and i dont have to say anymore bcoz iam sure u can read it ur self and c what iam talking about

Originally posted by mike_2007:
    hi sam i dont know if u have noticed this or not ,, there is 9 threads from beverly on the forum .. which makes it really impossible for ppl to read the frum bcoz of her posts are all over the forum,, i think u can force her at lease to post in 1 thread and if she doesn't then she should be banned from this forum . or u can deleted them bcoz they are worthless anyway .. just some rasict comment about mexicans and i dont have to say anymore bcoz iam sure u can read it ur self and c what iam talking about
    Ditto!

and u can also read all someone12 previous posts and see how many times he hijacked the threads and called proudusc citizen nasty names and called other members nasty names and he even call ther mothers and sisters nasty names ,, he's the most person on this forum who used a bad language .. and u should read all his posts .. he never gived an advice to anyone ,,he's just here to insult others and he should be banned from this forum tonight ...not even tomorrow. we understand about sonofmichael that he is a joke and a clown ,,but what about someone12 and beverly?

Hi Sam, I think like most people on here, if people want to post articles, then can they please do it under one thread.

Surely if they start a new thread by naming it Beverly's articles or Someone 12's articles, and keep to that one thread, at least they dont get mixed in someone else's thread that is asking for advice, and if other members want to read their articles, they will know where to find them. If these 2 people can learn from Explora, at least Explora keeps to one thread, under "illegal mexican exploitation"

Originally posted by Sam U. of ILW.COM:
    Dear Community Members: As promised, I am here replying to iperson's thoughtful post from a previous thread (see: http://discuss.ilw.com/eve/forums/a/.../m/54610694341 ). For the sake of clarity, my responses are in CAPS, the rest of the message below is from iperson's original text. I invite discussion by the community on this important topic. - Sam U. (Publisher, ILW.COM)

Sam U, thank you for your response to my question yesterday.
    While I understand that freedom of speech is valued to you on this forum, the way most forums on the internet are run, is they post a list of dos and don'ts, which overrun the constitution. It is the right of any privately owned board to set the rules irrespective of freedom of speech.
    SAM'S COMMENT: I COMPLETELY AGREE THAT WE CAN SET THE RULES ON OUR PROPERTY. WE WANT TO SET UP APPROPRIATE RULES HERE TO ENCOURAGE THE GROWTH OF THIS COMMUNITY. I ALSO AGREE THAT IT IS HIGH TIME THAT WE GOT A LITTLE MORE SPECIFIC, AND PROGRESSED BEYOND OUR HITHERTO LAISSEZ FAIRE APPROACH.

Here is an example of a widely known board and the rules on it are:

The following are common examples of violations that may result in immediate post removal, warning, board sanction and/or suspension from the site:

SAM'S COMMENT: I AM THINKING OF WARNING FOR ONE OFFENSE, A FEW DAYS SUSPENSION FOR A REPEATED OFFENSE, AND PERMANENT BAR FOR A THIRD OFFENSE. WHAT DOES THE COMMUNITY THINK OF THIS GRADUATED APPROACH?

Including another individual's contact information and/or email address in a post.

Including profanity, vulgarity, hate speech, disruptive, or hostile comments, interpersonal disputes, or threats of violence in a post.

SAM'S COMMENT: THE ABOVE MENTIONED PENALTIES WOULD APPLY TO FOUL LANGUAGE AND EMPHATICALLY TO THREATS OF VIOLENCE.

Including material (graphic or text) that is obscene, ****ographic or adult in nature.

SAM'S COMMENT: THE PENALTIES WOULD APPLY IN THIS SITUATION ALSO.

Using JavaScript or active code; making repetitive or disruptive posts; or otherwise taking actions that interfere with site operations.

SAM'S COMMENT: I BELIEVE THAT THE PENALTIES SHOULD APPLY TO THE ISSUES IMMEDIATELY ABOVE ALSO.

Attempting to impersonate eBay staff or other eBay members.

SAM'S COMMENT: THIS WOULD APPLY TOO.

Encouraging others to violate eBay policies or the eBay User Agreement.

Advertising merchandise, auctions, services or commercial Web sites, including offers to trade, "wanted" posts, or charitable solicitations.

Refusing to follow eBay staff instructions.

Posting email content from private parties.

Posting material that in any way violates the eBay User Agreement or Community Values.

Inappropriate threads started on Community Discussion Boards..

Posting listing reports or member violations. To report suspected violations, please review site policies under the Rules and Policies page or use the Contact Us form.

Discussing or reposting deleted posts or warning letters, or discussion of sanctioned or no longer registered members.

Misusing the violation reporting function to maliciously or frivolously report content as not in compliance with eBay policy.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/...me=CMDV:BD0002

These policies are strictly enforced. It doesn't matter whether the community member visited the boards every day for the past year or ten, when they violate the rules, they get a 7 day suspension. If they continue to violate the rules, they receive a 30 day suspension. If they come back and continue, they get an indefinite suspension from ebay boards.
    A similar tactic could be employed here.
    There should be a better operating report feature on the site, with a list of violations to choose from whenever a post is reported. It would enable a better decision making process for the admins to moderate the board.

SAM'S COMMENT: I AM CHECKING WITH OUR TECH GURUS HERE TO FIND OUT THE BEST WAY TO REPORT VIOLATIONS, AND WILL REVERT ON THIS.

I DONT WANT TO OVERLOAD THE COMMUNITY WITH TOO MANY DOS AND DONTS ALL AT ONCE. I AM PROPOSING THE HEREINABOVE (I.E. ONLY THE POINTS IMMEDIATELY ABOVE EACH OF MY COMMENTS HEREINABOVE) FOR NOW, AND A 3-STEP GRADED PENALTY SYSTEM. WE CAN TRY IT AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS FOR A MONTH OR TWO, AND THEN FURTHER TWEAK IT AS NECESSARY. OUR STANDARD FOR SUCCESS OR FAILURE IS VERY SIMPLE - WE WANT TO GROW THIS COMMUNITY AND ARE CLOSELY MONITORING ITS TRAFFIC.

I ONCE AGAIN THANK IPERSON FOR THE KIND SUGGESTION TO PROVIDE MORE STRUCTURE TO THE BOARD'S RULES, AND I INVITE THE COMMUNITY TO COMMENT ON THE ABOVE. THANKS!
    It's really quite simple, Sam. If you guys can figure out a way to ban Beverly who caused all the uprising on the forum to begin with, the rest of us will be perfectly content with this forum and continue to help it grow. If you keep fascists like Beverly, the rest of us want no parts of this forum! This was a great forum until you guys allowed her to join!

The trouble is Proud & Mike, if Beverly and the likes of her was banned, it wouldn't be too long before someone else shows up just like her/them, the world is full of people with hate on their mind. whats the saying, "better the devil you know" I just wish they would use one thread to post their hate mail, that way it's up to the member if they want to read their clap trap!

SAM'S COMMENT: I AM THINKING OF WARNING FOR ONE OFFENSE, A FEW DAYS SUSPENSION FOR A REPEATED OFFENSE, AND PERMANENT BAR FOR A THIRD OFFENSE. WHAT DOES THE COMMUNITY THINK OF THIS GRADUATED APPROACH
    Good start.