50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Questions about Green Card application

I am just about to apply for my Green Card and have begun filling out the various forms. I have a few questions, some specific and some more general.

First of all, my situation: I am currently in the US as a L1B nonimmigrant worker and got married to a US citizen in September 2004. My LIB visa expires at the end of March 2006. The company that I work for will not support an employment based Green Card application and I do not qualify for transfer to L1A. They have left the application up to me and if I don't get the Green Card, it's back to England for us!

So here are the questions

1/ Do I need to file I-765 for an Employment Authorization Document? Assuming successful transfer to "conditional permanent resident" (i.e., Green Card) before expiration of my L1A visa (3/31/06), I understand that I do not need to file I-765. So the question really is how long would it take for me to get the Green Card - will it come before 3/31/06? Or do you think it is better just to file I-765 and not take this chance?

2/ Affidavit of Support. For the last three years my wife has exceeded the minimum income requirements. This year, she will, but based only on accounts she has recently signed and started to collect on (she works in commission-based sales). If you looked at her pay statements right now and pro-rate her annual income based on income to date, she won't make it. We plan to get her employer to write a letter stating that her estimated annual income will be enough. Will this be sufficient? (I assume my income cannot be taken into account.)

3/ Form G-325A. This form is extremely unclear! In the big bold box at the bottom where it says "Applicant: Be sure to put your name and A# in the box below", I am assuming that for my wife and me it is ok to write NA by A#?

4/ Travel outside the US. If I want to go back to the UK for a visit or leave the US for business, I understand that I can until my L1A visa expires without the need for filing the travel parole document. Is this a correct assumption?

5/ Can I make an appointment (using InfoPass) to review all my forms with an immigration officer before I submit them? Is this what people do? There are so many forms that I would hate to make a mistake.... Any idea on how long the wait for an appointment is in Houston, TX?

6/ I have friends who have had a lawyer or their company file their application for GC through family member. They talk about submitting photos, evidence of joint financial responsibility etc. They may not know what they are talking about since the company is actually doing it for them, but I don't see any need for this when you are filing the various forms. Maybe later at the interview stage.

OK, that's all, look forward to hearing any comments.

Thanks for your time.

j

I am just about to apply for my Green Card and have begun filling out the various forms. I have a few questions, some specific and some more general.

First of all, my situation: I am currently in the US as a L1B nonimmigrant worker and got married to a US citizen in September 2004. My LIB visa expires at the end of March 2006. The company that I work for will not support an employment based Green Card application and I do not qualify for transfer to L1A. They have left the application up to me and if I don't get the Green Card, it's back to England for us!

So here are the questions

1/ Do I need to file I-765 for an Employment Authorization Document? Assuming successful transfer to "conditional permanent resident" (i.e., Green Card) before expiration of my L1A visa (3/31/06), I understand that I do not need to file I-765. So the question really is how long would it take for me to get the Green Card - will it come before 3/31/06? Or do you think it is better just to file I-765 and not take this chance?

2/ Affidavit of Support. For the last three years my wife has exceeded the minimum income requirements. This year, she will, but based only on accounts she has recently signed and started to collect on (she works in commission-based sales). If you looked at her pay statements right now and pro-rate her annual income based on income to date, she won't make it. We plan to get her employer to write a letter stating that her estimated annual income will be enough. Will this be sufficient? (I assume my income cannot be taken into account.)

3/ Form G-325A. This form is extremely unclear! In the big bold box at the bottom where it says "Applicant: Be sure to put your name and A# in the box below", I am assuming that for my wife and me it is ok to write NA by A#?

4/ Travel outside the US. If I want to go back to the UK for a visit or leave the US for business, I understand that I can until my L1A visa expires without the need for filing the travel parole document. Is this a correct assumption?

5/ Can I make an appointment (using InfoPass) to review all my forms with an immigration officer before I submit them? Is this what people do? There are so many forms that I would hate to make a mistake.... Any idea on how long the wait for an appointment is in Houston, TX?

6/ I have friends who have had a lawyer or their company file their application for GC through family member. They talk about submitting photos, evidence of joint financial responsibility etc. They may not know what they are talking about since the company is actually doing it for them, but I don't see any need for this when you are filing the various forms. Maybe later at the interview stage.

OK, that's all, look forward to hearing any comments.

Thanks for your time.

j